Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Park Portable antenna pole  (Read 3302 times)
KQ6Q

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »

Shopping with my XYL at Walmart, found a Golf Ball Retriever in the sporting goods section. aluminum, 5 sections, telescoped it's about 4 feet, extended it's 15 feet! Fits into a plastic screw anchor (purchased a while ago on spec) designed to let you plant a beach umbrella in the sand. Should be good for holding up the center of a lightweight dipole, or getting a lightweight VHF Groundplane up in the air for EmComm.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:05:49 AM »

It will work fine as you propose, if using to hold up center of dipole you might want to play around with the feed line a bit if it drops down vertically against or close to the aluminum for possible minor inter action issues.Home Depot 21 ft. painter poles $30.00 and Cabella's 16 ft. collapsible Crappie poles $10.00 also work well for portable ops.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

I've looked at the painter poles, and there were fishing poles at Walmart where I got the Golf Ball retriever. the painter poles were much longer when telescoped - more awkward to carry and store.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:18 AM »

I'll have to check this out. It says it is only $12.97. Thanks for the info

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Club-Champ-K40324/19487477

Still using Windows XP Pro.
KC7GZC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »

I made the golf ball retriever into the vertical portion of the antenna by making jumpers from one section to the next with plumbers tape and pipe clamps. I use split cheap speaker wire in four directions for a ground plane and an old christmas tree stand as a mount. The handle makes the golf ball retriever isolated from ground. I can lower it easily for use on the higher bands. I added 16 inches of small old TV antenna tubing on the top to match 20 meters wonderfully. I have worked many stations out as far as 5500 miles on it with 100 watts. Cheap but works well for me, and very portable.
Joe
KC7GZC   
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:03:49 AM »

What's the length of this pole when retracted?  How much does it weigh?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KC3L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »

4 feet retracted extended 15.

Lee kc3l
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: