The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: StrongVolt SmartCharger from kickstarter  (Read 7237 times)
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2014, 05:56:43 AM »

This is a crazy question, and I am wondering if this charger could keep up charging a 12v battery.  Here is my proposed configuration for emergency communications:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1349306815/strongvolt-smartcharger-the-most-advanced-solar-ch?ref=category

• gator box
    12v battery
    rigrunner 4005
    Kenwood D710a

I wanted to purchase a Super PWRgate PG40S and plug this device from kickstarter called StrongVolt (12v flavor) and was wondering if it was powerful enough to charge the battery and run my config off solar and battery..

I know this "depends" on sunlight, shade, use of battery, but was wondering if feasible.  I understand at night, or low light, my rig would run off of straight battery, but the rigrunner would alternate the power for me.

Thanks in advance.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:18:44 AM »

I don't know why you'd need the StrongVolt device in that arrangement. Just a solar panel and charge controller should be sufficient. The only advantage I see to the StrongVolt device is if you're charging something that doesn't like an intermittent charging source and the configuration you describe isn't one of those.

As far as "keeping up," that all depends on the size (output) of the solar panel and the load. Assuming the radio and all the interconnections draw an amp at idle, you'd need at least a 15W panel just to keep things even on a sunny day. If you factor in transmit load and a less-than-perfect day, you'll need something more like 50w or more to keep up (depending on your transmit power and how long you're transmitting). If you transmit alot and the weather isn't 100% sunny, you could need 200w of solar panels or more to keep things running.
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »

thanks!
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »

Just to clarify, the StrongVolt is designed to go directly between a 5v solar panel (with USB output and no battery) and a USB device to be charged. The reason they created the StrongVolt is that some USB devices won't restart charging if the 5v line drops below the devices required voltage and then back up to 5v.

I always use a battery pack between my solar panel and devices, so something like the StrongVolt isn't necessary.

Chris - KU7PDX
KJ6CZS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »

Thanks Chris!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: