Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beep tones  (Read 12247 times)
KG6RZC

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »

All over the HF spectrum.  Killed all power to house, detected tones with battery powered KX3 and 3  foot antenna, heard tones (2 seconds on, 3 seconds off, about 1kc in freq.) on 10,20,40,80 meters, got into car and drove around neighborhood, still hear tones, drove about 10 miles away, tone gone.

I am starting to log all the frequencies and times, signal strength etc. today:
28293.41, 28348.00, 28350.00, 28380, 7234.7, 7255.7, 7249.42, 7272.13, 7300.00, 14310.00, 14302.08, 14528.00, 3822.00, 3995.00   Note that some of these frequencies may be out of band, but I can still hear them -  hear 24 hrs a day, doesn't seem to be time sensitive.  I have heard this in the wee hours of the morning, and throughout the day.

Any ideas?  Possible electric meters? water meters? gas meters? they are all read via a cellphone like network in this neighborhood.
Wouldn't care so much except the tones are about 20db over S9, so I only hear the very loudest stations!  Hamming in this neighborhood is just about impossible.

Hank
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »

It`s gotta be some kind of metering device. If the tones are still strong on your KX3,I`d use a shorter antenna to track it. Maybe public service could help.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »

Really need spectrum views (i.e. panadapter/waterfall). Frequencies make no sense. Are you using cw filter, ssb, or am?
How long are the beeps...etc.etc. Are they single frequencies or a mix? Lots more info needed to get even a close guess.
KG6RZC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »

They are all heard on SSB, don't hear on AM or CW, but do hear on 4 different radios, just used the KX3 because it was the "most portable" of the lot. Radios are Icom 7000, Yaesu FT857, Yaesu FT990, and the KX3.  Working on getting panadapter hook up.........  The length of the beeps are listed in the original post, 2 seconds on, 3 seconds off.  The tones appear to be about 1khz in frequency.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »

I had to deal with power line noise that was caused by bad lightning arresters. Took half a year, but they were replaced by
Edison. Beeps are odd. Try the find the highest freq of beep then try driving around to find a hot spot. Would be nice if beeps were on higher freqs where a DF (beam antenna) could be used.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:56:40 PM »

Best guess: some kind off camera alarm system that switches video monitors.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »

Any manufacturing plants in area?
KG6RZC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »

This is a residential neighborhood, no manufacturing or commercial buildings.  I should emphasize, these tones are NOT just heard at my QTH, but can readily be heard throughout the neighborhood, some streets are louder than others though.
I can walk down the sidewalk with the KX3 on battery mode, with a 3 foot antenna plugged into it, and hear these tones.
In any given band, as can be seen above, the tones are heard at several different frequencies.

hank
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:35 PM »

Got me stumped. Our utility meters xmit bursts of data, haven't measured duty cycle, but they all operate at frequencies above 400mhz. Hard to imagine what could make something heard across entire hf spectrum. Only other though would inter modulation distortion ( rusty joint syndrome) with AM stations, but that doesn't make sense since it is cyclic and only 1 tone. You should be able to hear it on cw. How can you tell it's 1 kHz? , ssb can be tuned to any audio frequency. Take an AM radio with a ferrite rod in it and try to triangulate it. Without ssb detector you should be able to hear a quieting of rcvr during the bursts.
AJ8MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

I had the same issue in Austin, TX, but if went away after a few weeks.  I could hear the tones on CW and SSB.  I could also hear a very faint switched carrier (no audio) on AM.  Around that time, the phone company was installing their new U-verse fiber optic technology.  However, I wouldn't think that would cause any issues.

The cable company does have "T" channels that operate in the HF spectrum.  (Don't know if they are still in use these days.)

The only other transmitters we had in the neighborhood controlled home thermostats.  The power company could turn off your air conditioner at the most inopportune time. The transmitters were located on light poles in small boxes with (what looked like) a gain UHF antenna.

Let us know what you find.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »

To decrease sensitivity and make your DF'ing possible:

-Pick one frequency to work
-Turn all processing/filters off:  AGC Fast,
-As the signal gets stronger use either method:
Decrease RF gain or Tune slightly off frequency

-If the signal is lost, do NOT change the RF Gain or Tune back to center Freq. 
-Go back to where you last heard the signal, and keep working the area until you find the strongest signal (where you will have detuned the most or reduced Gain to minimum).
-If necessary, expand your search area to find a 'true' stronger signal that may be direct and not a reflection, etc.

This method will work with even the cheapest radio, AM/FM/SSB.  It is the Poor Man's DF.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

The cable company does have "T" channels that operate in the HF spectrum.  (Don't know if they are still in use these days.)

The "T" channel spectrum is 5-45MHz on most cable systems. anything below 20MHz is usually not useful because of ingress from off air sources. And the band is used for cable modems, which transmit very wide (6MHz typically) QAM carriers every few milliseconds.
SIGINT11

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »

I have a similar condition with Tones,  they can be heard on most HF freqs.   the best way I can describe it is as if you are having your hearing checked, you know the tones the technician will play through the headphones and ask if you can hear them.    They start lower in audio frequency and work their way up and than seem to restart.   beeeeep--------beeeeeeeeeeeep-------beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep--------beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.     They are very low level but very annoying.      I never figured it out but I was thinking some type of wireless alarm system that is polling various sensors?   
N5RMS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »

I had similar experience long ago.  It was the local oscillator of radio scanners, but only in the VHF & UHF ranges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: