Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-Op Newbie Question  (Read 2945 times)
N0ECK

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

Here's the situation: A group of us are going to work the SPAR winter field day event from a location about 2 hours away from home. We are all members of the same club, but don't necessarily want to use the club call for this event. Can we use the call of one operator for everyone if that person is on site and could be designated the "control operator" of every station?
I've dug around and can't find the answer, the articles always seem to assume you'd use a club call for a multi-op setup.
Thanks,
Cory
KD0QEA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »

Think "Field Day". The club I used to belong to had a 2x3 call so we used one of the club member's call who had a 1x2.

Funny story though...

One year one of the operators was on 40 meter phone and was operating right at the bottom of the band edge. Shortly after Field Day, the guy who's called we used got a notice from an OO! So remember, the person who's call you use will be responsible for every station!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »

The guy whose call you use doesn't have to be designated a control operator. He doesn't even have to be present. He needs to designate all of the other operators as control operators of "his station". For his own benefit he should ensure that a log is kept so that he knows who was acting as the control operator for each position at any given time. If there is a rule violation he will receive the notice from the FCC. He can then respond with the call of the person who was operating as control operator of that position at the time the violation occurred.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:34:56 AM »

If there is a rule violation he will receive the notice from the FCC. He can then respond with the call of the person who was operating as control operator of that position at the time the violation occurred.

But he can't just pawn it off on the other guy. The holder of the callsign that was being used is just as responsible for the operation of the station as the actual control operator. While I suppose technically the licensee does not actually have to be present, since it is his license on the line, it is probably a good idea that he is present.

ยง97.103   Station licensee responsibilities.

(a) The station licensee is responsible for the proper operation of the station in accordance with the FCC Rules. When the control operator is a different amateur operator than the station licensee, both persons are equally responsible for proper operation of the station.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »

"both persons are equally responsible for proper operation of the station"

This is why he should keep a log. If he is contacted by the FCC and doesn't know who was control operator of the station at the time of the violation then he pretty much has to accept responsibility all by himself.

If the operating positions are located some distance apart or are operated on a 24/7 basis then its likely physically impossible for him to be present and monitoring the operation of every station any time it is on the air. That's why he designates control operators instead of acting as the control operator himself.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:31:27 AM »

We can take this on all sorts of tangents Bob, but the OP was just talking about a short-term event. And even though we have both answered the question, I am sure there will be many more responses!
N0ECK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »

Thanks guys. I think I got it.
I was thinking of the operating license and station license as the same thing.
KD0QEA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: