Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending RYRY in RTTY  (Read 1063 times)
VE7AXU

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:38:35 AM »

I'm new to RTTY and trying to figure out the operating protocols. I noticed that my RTTY software has a macro for sending a string of RYRYRYs. I've evenseen this on the screen but cannot figure out why its sent or when it should be used.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:17:18 AM »

IN THE DAYS OF MECHANICAL RTTY, THE "R" AND THE "Y" LETTERS EXERCIZED ALL FIVE OF THE "BITS" OF THE FIVE-BIT BAUDOT CODE. CLEAR "RYRYRYRYS" MEANT THE MACHINERY WAS TIMED AND RUNNING CORRECTLY.

"THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG" LINE IN A TEST TRANSMISSION USES EVERY LETTER OF THE ALPHABET AT LEAST ONCE.

NEITHER "RYRYRY" OR "THE QUICK BROWN FOX" ARE REALLY NECESSARY.  HOWEVER, WE STILL USE THEM FOR TRADITION, AND BECAUSE THEY STILL SERVE A SIMILAR PURPOSE.

DENNIS KG4RUL
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 07:30:28 AM »

Actually, I still use them for two good reasons.

1.  Once you hear the "churn-churn-churn" sound of an RYRY tape at 45 baud, you'll never forget it.  I know IMMEDIATELY once I hear that what mode and baudrate I need to set my TNC to copy.

2.  By sending "The Quick Brown Fox" I'm sending a standard text string for people to tune on.

My CQ tape looks like this:

String of RY's
The quick brown fox
CQ CQ CQ de KE4MOB KE4MOB KE4MOB (3 times)
The quick brown fox
String of RY's
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:51:20 PM »

IN THE DAYS OF MECHANICAL RTTY, THE "R" AND THE "Y" LETTERS EXERCIZED ALL FIVE OF THE "BITS" OF THE FIVE-BIT BAUDOT CODE. CLEAR "RYRYRYRYS" MEANT THE MACHINERY WAS TIMED AND RUNNING CORRECTLY.

Very true Dennis, are you an old TTY man?  I used to use the old model 15's, punch tape (chad, and chad-less) clunkers.  Though you might like to know that when the ASCII or "7-hole" tape came out, the letters ZCZCZC were sent for the very same reason as RY's on TTY.  
When in the USAF, I was able to read a punched tape just by looking at the holes.  Learning the alphabet by holes is much harder than learning CW, hi.

73 Buddy WB4M
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 05:41:56 AM »

<<<<Very true Dennis, are you an old TTY man? I used to use the old model 15's, punch tape (chad, and chad-less) clunkers. Though you might like to know that when the ASCII or "7-hole" tape came out, the letters ZCZCZC were sent for the very same reason as RY's on TTY.>>>>

I worked as a contractor to the USN at the former Naval Ocean Systems Center (NOSC) in San Diego.  One of my projects was to develop an updated version of a system that read paper tapes and, based on the embedded Routing Indicators, repunched multiple tape copies for redistribution to addressees.  

The original system used RTL logic chips and magnetic core memory.  The replacement system used iNTEL multi-bus boards in a TEMPEST enclosure along with TEMPEST reader/punch units.

<<<<When in the USAF, I was able to read a punched tape just by looking at the holes. Learning the alphabet by holes is much harder than learning CW, hi.>>>>

I was able to learn to sight-read Baudot tape easily.  CW, however, is still eluding me!

Dennis KG4RUL
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:40:09 AM »

RYRYRYRY was to sync the teleprinter.
R was mark space mark space mark
Y was space mark space mark space

On my old Model 33, I used U*U*U*U*

The progression was Model 15, 19, 28KSR, 28ASR, then added a typing reperf, and a gear shift, different type boxes, one for WX, one for conversation and one for pictures, then a M33 with the R/S TRASH 80 M1/L2 computer and a ROM116, and finally a M43. I also had a M40 but it was EBDIC and I did not want to convert it to ASCII.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: