Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Focus Help  (Read 1861 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

I had to replace my old truck and I got a 2005 Ford Focus with a sunroof.  I would like to install a Larson 270 dual band and a Little Tarheel antenna.  I have no problems with drilling holes, but the sunroof and luggage rack is a concern.  I have been doing some research and somebody recommended a hood seam mount. Is that the "L" shaped mount that screws into the groove of the trunk (or hood) and has an open hole for the antenna mount? What exactly is that? Any suggestions or idea's?

Randy ka4nma
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:27 AM »

Randy, have a look at www.k0bg.com    You'll see all sorts of installations, good and bad, and there's a wealth of very helpful and informative articles--sort of a "HF Mobile for Dummies" website!  Extremely helpful.  73 GL!
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04:37 AM »

What I did for my two Ford Mondeos for the VHF/UHF antenna is to install it just forwards of where the interior light is for the rear passengers. That way you can get to the underside of where the hole is to attach the coax onto the mount without the need to drop the headlining - just take the rear interior light out. You don't want to be travelling with the luggage rack on all the time as it seriously hammers MPG.

I assume yours is a saloon/sedan model? These are rare in the UK as the hatchback is by far the most popular but looking at a photo, the L bracket that goes into the groove of the trunk is the best option for the Tarheel. The rear quarter panels are double skinned making using something like a Breedlove mount impossible.
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:46 AM »

When I got rid of my Expedition and went to a 2005 Focus sedan I drilled the hole in the trunk and used an NMO mount.  Works like gangbusters.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »

Correction! It is a Ford Escape, not a focus.
Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: