Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LSB Contest Activity in 40 CW Subband?  (Read 2723 times)
KA5QMA

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:09:52 AM »

Can someone explain to me why stations are transmitting on LSB deep in the 40m CW subband around 7.040 MHz? They are foreign stns conducting contest ops transmitting down there and listening abt 200 kc up. Regardless of their nationality, are not voice transmissions so far down in the CW subband illegal?
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »

Can someone explain to me why stations are transmitting on LSB deep in the 40m CW subband around 7.040 MHz? They are foreign stns conducting contest ops transmitting down there and listening abt 200 kc up. Regardless of their nationality, are not voice transmissions so far down in the CW subband illegal?

Not in most European countries, where band plans are not part of the laws.  I may legally transmit in LSB on 7010 kHz if I wish, but it is not according to the band plan of IARU Region 1 which defines 7060 kHz as the lower end of the phone band.

In a few large contests (CQWW SSB and CQ WPX SSB, the former is running this weekend), you will hear a lot of activity which violates those band plans. It usually causes quite a lot of high blood pressure with some of the hardcore CW folks...

N5XKG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »

It depends on where you are. Here in Alaska and Hawaii (I'm portable KL7) we're allowed LSB from 7075-7100, so it's not out of band/band plan for us. As DJ1YFK said, it's legal in many countries. May not be good practice, but it's legal.

The only thing so far that has gotten my blood pressure up is when I was trying to work a DX station in the above sub-band another station located in WA State started calling him as well. It's one thing to be out of the band plan, but it's another to be completely out of your allocation. Oh well, he didn't get the contact either...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:59:51 AM by N5XKG » Logged
KA5QMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »

Thank you both for that information.
It neverless seems inconsiderate to operate phone that far into the CW subband  Angry
After all, phone ops normally use the hundreds of kHz they have available "up there", while CW ops use only a few tens of kHz near the bottom band edge.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

It neverless seems inconsiderate to operate phone that far into the CW subband  Angry
After all, phone ops normally use the hundreds of kHz they have available "up there", while CW ops use only a few tens of kHz near the bottom band edge.

You're correct, but EVERY evening for 40m freqs of 7060 upwards, one can hear SSB from stations in other regions - it just is so much more pronounced during a big SSB contest with 10,000+ stations are on the air!  As I operate JT65/9 (7.076mhz) a lot, I notice this all the time.  Luckily, JT modes are robust enough so I can still make good DX contacts.

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:43 AM »

DX phone allocations are far slimmer than you are thinking. EU phone band upper limit is at 7200, and historically the region from 7100 on up was littered with SW broadcasters that made it difficult to use 40M even in the USA.

The problem is not inconsiderate operators, it is how we have a world-wide DX band that has regional allocations that disagree across the world, and then the problem is made even worse by the historic allocation of much of 40M to SW broadcasting. Now that the SW broadcasters are largely (not completely!) out it would be great to rationalize all of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: