Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need to submit a log?  (Read 895 times)
ILDARIN

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

I'm pretty new to ham radio (first licensed last year, first HF radio last month).

I'm exploring the hobby;  at the moment, I'm most interested in DX contacts.

I'm not (yet) particularly interested in contesting or accumulating points or exchanging QSL cards, just making contacts.

During the last week, propagation has been very good, and I've made a bunch of contacts in New Zealand and Australia during their Oceania DX contests.

My question is, am I screwing up their contacts if I'm not submitting any logs?

I've logged the serial numbers they gave me, and they assign me 001 when I say I'm not part of the contest, but nobody's said anything about any obligation to submit a log...
DL8MBS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »

Hi Ildarin,
easy answer: It is neither necessary nor required for you to submit a log. There are only extremely few contests which will delete a particicpant the qso if the log of the corresponding station (=yours) for this contact misses.

Better answer: Whenever possible you should try to submit a log, because:

It very much helps to improve the quality of logchecking for the organizers. If somene claims in his log to have contacted DL8MBS and to have received 59 123 from him, but DL8MBS had not submitted a log, it is somewhat difficult to check whether the claim is ok. So - the more logs the higher the quality of logchecking.

You can submit a checklog which will be used for this checking purpose only and your score with qso number will not be published, but you will "only" be mentioned in the category "checklogs" with a "Thank You" from the organizers.
You may submit a "real" log and be listed with your score in the results table (web and/or print) which does not feel too bad if you made some effort to operate.

To make a log you either use one of the many contest logging programs (for this purpose better no general logbook software) or log on paper and make an electronic log afterwards i.e. with a freeware like lm (shameless ad: The how-to-do described on our website here: http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/contest/wag/en/logging/.

In many contests every participant can download a certificate of participation which may be well deserved if you operated seriously independent of the number of qsos.

Have fun with making QSOs in contests or even with contesting in the sense of accumulating points or enjoy the feeling to be amongst others (the difference between running for you alone in the forest or being part of a running event with its special atmosphere) - it is one of the most enjoyable mental disorders ;-)

73, Chris DL8MBS
(somewhat associated with a contest...)
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »

Hi Ildarin,
easy answer: It is neither necessary nor required for you to submit a log. There are only extremely few contests which will delete a particicpant the qso if the log of the corresponding station (=yours) for this contact misses.

73, Chris DL8MBS
(somewhat associated with a contest...)

Thank you.  That answers the important question.

The rest I'm working on ;-)
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »

Here are three links to help you:

Contesting Compendium
http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Main_Page

Contesting FAQ
http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html

Contesting Calendar
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/perpetualcal.php

Jump in.
Join the fun!

Mel - KS2G

ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »

Here are three links to help you:

Contesting Compendium
http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Main_Page

Contesting FAQ
http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html

Contesting Calendar
http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/perpetualcal.php

Jump in.
Join the fun!

Mel - KS2G

Thanks.

I've seen those, but it wasn't entirely clear if a contest participant who claimed me as a contact would lose points if I failed to submit a log (or got their callsign wrong). 

Apparently, according to DL8MBS, they won't.

I do use CQRLog, so I could create and submit logs; but unless I'm making a mess for others by not doing so, I'm not ready for that yet.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »

However, you said....

I've logged the serial numbers they gave me, and they assign me 001 when I say I'm not part of the contest, but nobody's said anything about any obligation to submit a log...

This could potentially be problematic if ALL the stations you worked put your serial number down as 001. 001 is not some sort of magical serial number that indicates you are not participating in a particular contest, it is simply the serial number for the first contact you make in a contest. Your next contact with a station in that contest should have been 002, then 003 and so on even if you are not officially participating.

If the log checking program sees that several stations have you in their log and they all gave you the same serial number, this could possibly nullify your entry in their log and possibly affect their score. I am not saying that it will definitely affect their score, but it could. Even if it does, it is highly doubtful that deleting one contact will have a significant impact on the results.

Live and learn!

But even so, the contact still counts as having worked that country as long as you can get them to confirm the contact.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:07:27 PM by N0IU » Logged
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

However, you said....

This could potentially be problematic if ALL the stations you worked put your serial number down as 001. 001 is not some sort of magical serial number that indicates you are not participating in a particular contest, it is simply the serial number for the first contact you make in a contest. Your next contact with a station in that contest should have been 002, then 003 and so on even if you are not officially participating.

If the log checking program sees that several stations have you in their log and they all gave you the same serial number, this could possibly nullify your entry in their log and possibly affect their score. I am not saying that it will definitely affect their score, but it could. Even if it does, it is highly doubtful that deleting one contact will have a significant impact on the results.

Live and learn!

But even so, the contact still counts as having worked that country as long as you can get them to confirm the contact.

Yah, I figured that out pretty quick.
And gave them my 005 or 007 for their 1760 or 59,800 ;-)
I'm not worried about getting confirmations for my contacts (yet).
I jut didn't want to throw a monkey wrench into the system while I'm learning.
DL8MBS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:58:46 AM »

Hi again,
about "I jut didn't want to throw a monkey wrench into the system while I'm learning."

For the "system" therefore it is really useful if you submit a log with whatever information you sent to avoid the software and human guessing on the side of the logcheckers. We want ops like you to make the occasional QSOs as you bring more activity. But afterwards it is easier and clearer if we see what you sent - or did not sent. Example: We once had a lady in the contest who constantly sent 088 - imagine the mess in other's logs ;-)  not to mention the numerous 087 and 089...

Some east European contests require both logs to be submitted that a QSO counts. Normally we logcheckers and our software have to deal with QSOs where one log misses. We can make kind of a "virtual log" of your activity based on the appearances of your call in other logs. The interspersed 001s and things like that are difficult to deal with and can cause additional work, like i.e. some listening on SDR-recordings. In our contest we require "real" participants to simply enter 000 if the other stations send no serial number - like someone friendly calling a CQing contester, handing out "59, name Chris, big signal, good luck".
So no guessing about numbers.

73, Chris DL8MBS

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:35:42 AM by DL8MBS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: