Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For bow hunting communication, BAOFENG UV-5R?? License requirements?  (Read 4777 times)
KE0XQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 04:02:39 AM »

There are a bunch of farm supply stores selling these Chinese (Baofeng) pieces of junk. In my area, you are also hearing grain haulers (truckers) on 2 meters without a license. Time for the FCC to put their foot down concerning the sale of these radios, if you want to call them that.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »

FWIW the Baofengs and Wouxuns I own are Part 90 Approved. Sticker on the radio. Perfect for volunteer firemen.

Perfect for listening, but NOT for using at an actual fire scene.  Anyone who would use these--and have their life depend on them--has to be crazy.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »

There are a bunch of farm supply stores selling these Chinese (Baofeng) pieces of junk. In my area, you are also hearing grain haulers (truckers) on 2 meters without a license. Time for the FCC to put their foot down concerning the sale of these radios, if you want to call them that.

Yea, and it's illegal to use them in such a manner without a license. It's already against the law.

Do these truckers ever speed on the interstate? Can all the speeding truckers get tickets, or is the speed limit effectively unenforceable for the vast majority of truckers? According to your logic, we should start impounding any truck that can go over the speed limit. It's EXACTLY the same logic you apply to the Baofeng radios.

You are attributing a vice to inanimate objects (the radios), and not to the animaters (people), and that always leads you in the wrong direction.

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »

I would agree with that  scenario.  Any truck caught speeding.. pull it to the side of the road and burn it.. Tell the trucking companys, you let or force your drivers to speed and  that the result..
Instant  end of  speeding  truckers.  I suspect  3 would be the maximum needed to convince the trucking companys and the drivers.

K1AVE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »

Just get a couple of Midway FRS walkies. No license required and some of them have a "whisper" feature that boosts the mic gain to allow you to speak quieter. Get a pire for less than $50 bucks.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »

"Yea, and it's illegal to use them in such a manner without a license. It's already against the law. "

The problem is that the general public has no idea that it's against the law. Most people assume that if WalMart sells it to them and there is no warning on the box it must be okay for them, or their kids, to use.

Most people will follow the rules if they know what they are. A large warning label on the box and a sign on the shelf would go a long ways towards solving the problem. Of course then many of the stores wouldn't stock them because sales to licensed hams wouldn't be enough to make it worth their effort.
KD8FIH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »

To the OP:

Check the game laws in your state. Not all allow using radio to 'track the movement of game' or however they word it. I know that in Colorado in years past (not sure about today) it was illegal to tell your buddy that a deer was heading his way via radio. As far as I know smoke signals are still legal... if you can get a permit for the fire.

ETA:
I bet you are more likely to get pinched by the local game warden than the FCC if your state does not allow radios in the field to monitor game. As was stated previously, the GMRS/FRS radios are the way to go for what you want if it's legal in your state.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:11:32 PM by KD8FIH » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »

"Yea, and it's illegal to use them in such a manner without a license. It's already against the law. "

The problem is that the general public has no idea that it's against the law. Most people assume that if WalMart sells it to them and there is no warning on the box it must be okay for them, or their kids, to use.

Most people will follow the rules if they know what they are. A large warning label on the box and a sign on the shelf would go a long ways towards solving the problem. Of course then many of the stores wouldn't stock them because sales to licensed hams wouldn't be enough to make it worth their effort.

I agree.  When they are so readily available and the price is so low, the amount of people who will be getting their hands on them will substantially increase.  Retailers are mainly interested in moving product.  Even back in the '70s when CB operators were actually required to have a license, stores were full of those radios and many people just grabbed them off the shelf and put them right on the air.  The license application often went into the trash along with the wrapping.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: