Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSK with a TenTec Centurion amp and an IC7600- Hotswitching concerns  (Read 1416 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »

Does anybody out there use an IC7600 to drive  a TenTec Centurion amp on cw?

I just bought  a used TT Centurion amp partly because it included QSK. 

I was seeking to  use my IC7600 built-in cw memories and  built in Keyer speed adjust,  with a bit more power for dxing and contesting.

But TT advises that to use a non-TT rig with their Centurion, I need to plug my key/keyer into the Key input jack in the amp, to the QSK board that resides there.

That means -I believe-  I am unable to use my built in cw memories in the 7600.  If true, thats disappointing to say the least.

Any IC7600-Centurion users out there ? 
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:30 AM »

Use an oscilloscope to check both the time between the IC7600 linear key out and RF appearing, and the keying line timing at the end of a transmission.

There was a thread on here concerning hot switching of an Acom 1000 when driven by an IC7000, unfortunately I can't find the thread, but the bottom line was that it was a problem with the IC7000. Hopefully not an issue with the 7600, but the only safe way is to measure it with a 'scope.

73 Dave
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »

No replies from a Tentec Centurion user yet.  And, actually,  Im not really  a full break-in guy.  I far prefer semi-break in  and find it   just fine for contesting, rag chewing  and dxing.

FWIW: Ive been operating 90% CW and 10% SSB.  For all CW, the 1999 Centurion is kept in PTT/VOX mode and the IC 7600 in semi break-in, for a couple of months now. So far, so good.  Everything is working smoothly. I run the amp  in the range of 500-800w out.

No indications of any hot switching problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: