Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new 2 meter ssb net  (Read 4257 times)
KK4SGQ

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »

i was thinking about starting a 2 meter ssb net i am in the lynchburg va area if anyone is interested let me know
thanks
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »

Two meter SSB/CW is mostly as dead as can be but I applaud your effort. Perhaps if more people were to try what you are purposing, it may bring some life to the band, at least in a few areas.

I don't believe a lack of 2 meter SSB capable rigs is as big of an issue as it was before all the "shack in a box" rigs but one obstacle you will be facing right of the bat is the long standing and well established antenna difference...Yes! the dreaded Vertical vs. Horizontal polarity issue, where FM tends to be vertical and SSB/CW horizontal and yes, it really does cause a noticable amount of loss between the two especially for local contacts.

Now, all that having been unnecessarily said, I suggest maybe a two part net with the first part one polarization and the second part, the other. I believe I would start with vertical which is what most of the FM buckaroos are more likely to have at the home QTH. 

I gotta admit, for local meetings, round tables, miscellaneous chatting and the like, vertical makes more sense unless every one slaps up a horizontal loop (and I just can't see that happening anytime soon....hi). For local stuff this is one case where a high gain, laser sharp yagi is a negative; no matter who you have it pointed at, someone will be unreadable.           

Well, good luck!
Bob                 

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »

Cup your hand and put it over your ear, so you get that seashell ocean sound.  This is what your net is going to sound like.

Any net, irrespective of band and mode will never get off the ground unless it serves a purpose or solves a problem.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

Why don't we have a 222 Mhz ssb net?

(Crickets Chirping)

Oh that's right, there are no 222 Mhz SSB radios on the market.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »

Guys, don't be so negative!   The real answer is there is several ACTIVE nets out there.  And another added to the mix would be great!  It takes activity to attract more activity Smiley

There are two great nets on Monday evenings.  I was going to research the details to share with you, and found Todd's, KC9BQA, blog that already has all of the details.  His page is here: http://kc9bqa.com/?p=6870

Here is the info from his page, I'm sure Todd would like for it to be shared...

5 Other Monday Nets on 2m SSB (N GA, NE OK, Cent NY, S ONT and CO) + 432.100 Activity From EN52gb

Seeing W4TMW’s call in the list of check-ins to K8TQK’s net last night reminds me that Tom calls a net on Mondays from EM84, NE GA.  The majority of the USA and southern VE-3 is within range of one or more nets on Monday nights.   

W4TMW calls the North GA net every Monday on 144.210 at 8pm eastern.   His antenna pattern is to look *south* first, then SW, W, NW, N, NE, E, and SE over the next 30-60 minutes or so.  I realize N GA is a long haul from WI, but I do mention the DX nets from time to time so readers will know all their options.   This net is fairly new (maybe 6 months?) and they’re getting good #’s of check-ins and plenty of those check-ins are from beyond 100-200 miles.   
    The W4TMW net combined with K8TQK’s on Monday nights means nearly all the eastern 1/3 of the USA (and southern VE-3) are within range of one of these nets.   The K8TQK net is on 144.252 (yes .252) and starts at 8:30pm eastern.  Bob’s QTH is EM89je and his antenna pattern is to start North, then NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW and N over the next 45-60 minutes.

There are other Monday options.   I won’t be posting these often because the focus here is within several hundred miles of WI.
     W5VHF Net at 8pm central on 144.190.  Net control is KD5ZVE in EM26, OK.  K5SW Sam can backup if Jimmy can’t go.
    Rochester, NY net at 9pm eastern on 144.260.
    Guelph, ONT net at 9pm eastern on 144.245.  Net control is VE3XTM in EN93.    Because VE3XTM runs multiple nets on different bands and nights, there’s a post specifically about his nets.   Click here:  http://kc9bqa.com/?p=6606
   Rocky Mountain VHF runs a nice slate of nets on various bands and nights.  Visit   http://www.rmvhf.org/wordpress/?page_id=1239 for the full scoop.  Their 144.220 net is on Monday nights at 8pm mountain time, from the Denver area.

As always, please spread the word to VHF’ers you know.  With spring and summer coming (don’t ask anyone in the Upper Midwest about their weather, because we might bite your head off, LOL) there will be band openings and DX surprises.  So it’s good to know your options.  It’s even better if you get on the air yourself, at any old time, and call CQ on/near 144.200.

EDIT — April 2, 2013
    Don’t want to leave out N4PZ’s 432.100 activity net on Monday nights.  Steve gets things going from EN52gb, which is north-central IL, about 70-80 miles west of Chicago.  N4PZ has a box of yagis and at least a kilowatt amp.  When he points his 432 signal at you, you will know it.  N4PZ has been doing this for several years and it’s the only regularly-scheduled 432 activity in the Midwest (that I’m aware of).  So we want to spread the word in all directions and we ask you to help.
    N4PZ was actually in the ON4KST.com chat last night, and he says they get on at 8pm central, until 9pm.  He starts out looking east, and I’m not sure what the pattern is from there.  If I wanted to check in, I’d be on 432.100 at 0100Z, point my 432 antenna toward EN52gb and patiently wait for a signal to pop up.   I’d also watch the ON4KST.com chat (IARU Region 2 Chat for 144-432 MHz).

All right guys, now that you know about the activity, it's up to you to check in.  If you don't, the inactivity is YOUR FAULT!   Grin

In the interest of full disclosure, I ran a SSB net a couple of years ago from EM78el.  We were starting to build a pretty good size group when various equipment problems knocked me off the air.  I'm starting to get my station built back up, so hope to "revive" the net eventually.  However, I still want to make a few more improvements before I try it again.  (Hoping to add a 6m net to the mix this time too)

73, and get on the air and make some noise!!

Dan
--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

i was thinking about starting a 2 meter ssb net i am in the lynchburg va area if anyone is interested let me know
thanks

I think you've got a wonderful idea, and applaud your efforts. Far too few are using weak-signal VHF. Bravo!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »

Guys, don't be so negative!   The real answer is there is several ACTIVE nets out there.  And another added to the mix would be great!  It takes activity to attract more activity Smiley

I'm starting to get my station built back up, so hope to "revive" the net eventually.  However, I still want to make a few more improvements before I try it again.  (Hoping to add a 6m net to the mix this time too)

73, and get on the air and make some noise!!

Dan
--
K9ZF

Clark County Indiana (across from Louisville) should be doable on 2 meter SSB from up here in Boone County KY some 90 miles away with a 3 element beam and 50 watts.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »

Here is my 2 cents on 2 meter ssb

A LOT of people have 2 meter SSB capability but most do not have a horizontally polarized antenna.  As the sunspot cycle starts to dwindle the sporadic E on 2 meter SSB will actually increase. If people knew how far they could talk on 2 meter ssb horizontally polarized antennas more would get on board.

Greetings, I am John N1GMV and have in the past ran a 2 meter SSB net so rather familiar with what you can expect.  It will take a bit of work to get people to check in and could take several months. You need to announce your net on several VHF and HF nets, post it on several website and stay with it.

My 2 meter net was Monday Nights at 8:30 on 144.220. After a few months we got up to 13 or so check-ins. One thing you must realize is that due to narrow beamwidth there is an awful lot of beam rotation and participants typically will not be able to hear each other. Checking in to a 2 meter net is basically 20 minutes of nothing then suddenly hearing someone off in the distance saying something like "OK turning the beam east and taking check-ins".

To make my net a bit more exciting I webcasted my audio online so others could hear what I was hearing from my station. They also could tell what my beam heading was etc. In todays world I think Skype or Google hangouts might be a good option so people know that you are there even if they don't hear you at that particular moment.

Remember, a beam to beam connection could produce a good path for communication. But if one beam is only a few degrees off could mean a marginal or not heard situation.

Then of course there are situations when Sporadic E or tropo kicks in and OMG the world opens up and you would think you are on 20 meters working a piple-up.

I still have my antennas up if you decide to run a net I will try and check in from here in FM05 with 26 elements.

73 and GL
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »

Hi, All:

I'm one of 2 net control operators for our Thursday Evening 2M SSB net. This net has met on 144.210 MHz, at 1900 mst for at least the last 12 or more years. Yeah, mostly the same folks check in every week, but it's still nice to hear what every one else is up to.

We also have a 2M SSB net on Sunday mornings, at  0830 mst. This is a SWOT (Sidewinders on 2) net. 144.250 MHz.

I have also been trying to promote CW on 144.080 mHz. Over the past 8 months or a year ago, it has been Mike, KD7UUN and I, with a couple of errant ops checking in from time to time. I sure wish there were more CW ops that would join us, but Mike and I both enjoy the ragchew. We both use vertical antennas for our "Net". 2 meters is a great band for CW practice! No QRM, QSB, or QRN!

144.080, Monday nites, 1900mst if you are in the area. It'd be nice to have other check-ins. Mike and I use straight keys, so speed is not an issue.

When I control the SSB net, I use a single KB6KQ loop. Omni-directional, Horizontal polarization. Also can switch quickly to a 2 meter GP for vertically polarized stations. I run 50W, and can cover the local area just fine.

Hey, use it or lose it. 2 meters doesn't have to be all about FM (although I still enjoy the drive time FM contacts!). Keep the bands active, and try something different!

When I first brought up the idea of a 2M cw net, my friend N7JND told me:

"If you build it, they will come"!

You'll never know until you try!

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »

I'm not much of a net guy but have been on 2m SSB since 1969 (and 2m AM and CW years before that).

The "best net" in which I participated was the east coast VHF SSB weak signal nets run by the Packrats (the Mt. Airy VHF Club, based in the Philadelphia area).  Their key to success was having "net controls" with enormous stations, usually kilowatts to stacked beams on tall towers, so they could take "check ins" from 350-450 miles away every single time, irrespective of propagation.

And...having "multiple" net controls spread out over hundreds of miles led to more check-ins from farther away.  It wasn't unusual to have check-ins from the Maritimes of Canada down to Georgia, and inland to Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana all in the same net.  That's a lot of turf and it usually took multiple net controls to do that.

The objective of course wasn't to just "chit-chat," it was to see how far away we could get check-ins to actually hear each other, and maybe score a new state or grid square.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: