Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting with remote radio  (Read 7481 times)
NO9E

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:50 AM »

Lately, in contests, some fraction of stations seem to respond with half a second delay, or longer. Could they be remote stations?

Extra questions:
What is the minimum delay over internet with good connections and fast computers?
What is the maximum real delay when the operations seem smooth? 

Ignacy, NO9E
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »

Half a second is a pretty long delay in a contest.  I operate my station in Colorado remotely.  K3 plus amp, using serial server and Skype.  My latency is about 75ms, and not noticeable.  I operated last year's Colorado QSO Party remotely, 1070 contacts on SSB 20 meters in 15 hours.   I use VOX.  An efficient remote set up should not be particularly noticeable to other station.
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »

NY to San Francisco 21ms (via fiber) so you can begin from there if going cross country.  Most folks will reliably report a perceptible lag when a delay of 100-200ms is introduced into a system.

Often times it is the last-mile where the delay is introduced. Your ISP needs to route the data thru the neighborhood, aggregate the data, and forward for routing, in some cases this can take tens of milliseconds just to get to your ISP’s main routers (this last-mile delay figure was determined by the FCC in the “Measuring Broadband America” report).

Tim, N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »

Lately, in contests, some fraction of stations seem to respond with half a second delay, or longer. Could they be remote stations?

Extra questions:
What is the minimum delay over internet with good connections and fast computers?
What is the maximum real delay when the operations seem smooth? 

Ignacy, NO9E

That can also be multi-op stations who are interleaving running and S&P on the same band. They call you, you send the report, then there is a long pause before they respond. I got several of those in the CQ160 CW contest. Sometimes it gets annoying: one big east-coast station called me three times over about 15 minutes before they got the timing right in order to reply!

Tor
N4OGW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: