Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Super Rockmite" clones  (Read 6696 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »

A few weeks ago, W2MDW posted a link from eBay on Twitter about the latest (well...maybe not the LATEST) QRP rigs from China.  They are the "Super Rockmite" clones.  The Rockmite was turned into a rig they call the "Octopus", and THIS radio is an improvement upon it.  This thing is an 8W transceiver.  I bought one, and it is pretty neat.  $40 delivered! 

Has anyone else seen or used one?  Thoughts?

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:17:23 AM »

How about YOU giving us an evaluation on this offering??  "Pretty neat" is pretty meaningless.  You could provide a great service OM.   Smiley
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 08:20:25 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=97115.msg760686#msg760686 date=1401463043
How about YOU giving us an evaluation on this offering??  "Pretty neat" is pretty meaningless.  You could provide a great service OM.   Smiley

Good point!  I'll do that!

KB2HSH
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »

It would be interesting to hear about the quality of the PCB, ease of assembly, ease of alignment/tuning and of course the quality of the schematic and circuit description.  Translation seems to be a problem as well.

From what I read the Chinese ham gear somewhat unreliable and has absolutely no service available when a problem crops up.  I wish you luck.

W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:53 AM »

I bought one and right out of the package it did Not Work.  I had to trace over the board and fix all the Cold Solder Joints and the keyer chip was not programmed properly, making the built-in keyer useless.  I removed the keyer chip and jumpered the pins to allow external keying.
After these "Mods" it actually worked quite well.  Quality is a BIG Issue with these.... Sort of makes MFJ look pretty good LOL!!!!!!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:31:57 AM »

I just took a look at one after reading this. What is the serial connection for?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:35 AM »

A few weeks ago, W2MDW posted a link from eBay on Twitter about the latest (well...maybe not the LATEST) QRP rigs from China.  They are the "Super Rockmite" clones.  The Rockmite was turned into a rig they call the "Octopus", and THIS radio is an improvement upon it.  This thing is an 8W transceiver.  I bought one, and it is pretty neat.  $40 delivered! 

Has anyone else seen or used one?  Thoughts?

John KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
I also would be interested if there is an AGC out on it?  Looking for a portable rig for RFI DFing...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »

Hi

Sri but you will never reach all the functions and clever design features of the origin SWL RM kit!
N0XAS upgrade etc. Forgot it and look for an origin made in USA! Believe me...

73 - Petr, ok1rp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: