Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find when my license was first issued?  (Read 4441 times)
N5VTU

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »

Does anyone know of a source to determine the date a ham license was originally issued?  Google didn't turn up much, and the best I can tell from the FCC site, any license issued before the ULS was created is not readily available to search.  My original novice callsign was KB5NGU and was issued in 1989 or 1990 I think.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen
N5VTU
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »

Since your current license was issued in the pre-ULS days of '91, a definitive answer will be pretty difficult. I don't know of any way to access those records. BTW, it's rather odd that you were granted a Technician license, after obtaining your Novice. Check out the Pre-ULS data captured by AE7Q: http://www.ae7q.com/data/CallHistory.php?CALL=N5VTU.

Yet I look again, and I'd guess that your original Novice license was issued on 1985-03-27... or were they five-year licenses (1990-03-27)? Look at the expiration of your Technician Plus. Wink
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:48 AM »

Since your current license was issued in the pre-ULS days of '91, a definitive answer will be pretty difficult. I don't know of any way to access those records. BTW, it's rather odd that you were granted a Technician license, after obtaining your Novice. Check out the Pre-ULS data captured by AE7Q: http://www.ae7q.com/data/CallHistory.php?CALL=N5VTU.

Yet I look again, and I'd guess that your original Novice license was issued on 1985-03-27... or were they five-year licenses (1990-03-27)? Look at the expiration of your Technician Plus. Wink

Thanks for the response.  I'm certain my Novice wasn't issued in 1985, as I would have been in middle school.  I definitely was licensed in high school somewhere around 1990'ish , because I had to wait until I was old enough to drive myself to the exam.  I believe that my Novice was a 10 year issue, although I think I only had it a year or so before upgrading to Technician.  Many of my records were lost in a move, but the oldest copy of my license that I can find is Technician Class with an effective date of 8/20/91.  My  renewal of that license, dated 7/24/2001 has a note on it that reads "License Class Converted Per 97.21a3".  I never had a license that said "Technician Plus" on it, even though I assume that's what the endorsement language was for since I had passed the 5wpm code element for my Novice exam.

Thanks
Stephen
N5VTU
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »

... My  renewal of that license, dated 7/24/2001 has a note on it that reads "License Class Converted Per 97.21a3".  I never had a license that said "Technician Plus" on it, even though I assume that's what the endorsement language was for since I had passed the 5wpm code element for my Novice exam. ...

That makes sense. According to WikiPedia, the Technician class code requirement was removed on February 14, 1991; however, that decision was made in 1990. Perhaps that's the reason that AE7Q shows an expiration of December 31, 1990 for your Technician class license. The actual "Technician Plus" designation wasn't used until 1994.

You have a very interesting license history, sir.
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »

BTW, why did your quote use my profile name and not user id/call sign?
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

I have no idea why it quoted the way it did.   Huh

I was just seeking this information for my own personal knowledge.  Perhaps this data is long gone...it certainly is long gone from my memory.

Thanks for your assistance

Stephen
N5VTU
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »

The only source for the actual date a license was issued is the FCC. (Even callbooks never listed actual license dates.) Although your Novice license was pre-ULS, they still have the records. It's just that they exist only on microfiche and can only be searched manually by the FCC records contractor.

Since you know your callsign and an approximate date, you can request a "license verification letter." This is a free service, and you can contact them through the link at the FCC's web page on obtaining documents. Just ask them to confirm the original issue date of KB5NGU.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

W3HF,

Thanks for the information.  I will give your suggestion a try and report back here what happens.

Thanks,
Stephen
N5VTU
K2CBI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

Look up:    "Categories | Ham Call Sign Accessories | NL7XM Callsign Historical Research"  in the eHam.net reviews section.  Pete has a set of very old callbooks and can look up the information that you want.

73, Mike
K2CBI    
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »

Look up:    "Categories | Ham Call Sign Accessories | NL7XM Callsign Historical Research"  in the eHam.net reviews section.  Pete has a set of very old callbooks and can look up the information that you want.

73, Mike
K2CBI    

Callbooks do NOT have the info that Stephen wants, so Pete's collection can't help him. Stephen asked for "the date a ham license was issued." Callbooks have NEVER included license issue dates. They were simply a snapshot of the license database at the time the book was issued, and most don't even tell you that date. You can only infer general date ranges, such as "your license was issued some time between the Spring and Summer issues of 1978", because the license is NOT in the Spring 78 issue but IS in Summer 1978.

The ONLY source of actual license issue dates is either the original (or a copy) of the license, or the FCC. (Or someone who has mirrored the FCC database after it was published electronically, such as QRZ's "old license listing" or N4MC's "Unique Callsign Lookup.")

If you want, you can ask Pete, and he'll tell you the same thing. (If you do, tell him that I gave you this answer already. He's a friend and we've collaborated before on these issues because we both have very similar collections.)

Steve
W3HF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: