Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back of radio dual band and go box  (Read 4949 times)
DLITTLE

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

Looking for suggestions for a dual band radio to mount on my FT-7900.
Telescoping, rubber duck style etc.
Antenna would be stored in go box.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Doug
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »

For "emcomm" you can't always count on an antenna on the radio to be effective.  You're going to want something located where it can get out better.  I would recommend a dual band mag mount plus a length of coax to extend it with if needed.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »

Also, many mobile radios aren't designed to have an antenna radiating "up close and personal" and the RF will get into the radio  and garbage things up.  The FT-817 is an exception, of course, but only puts out 5W.  So if you want to run more than 5-10W out with your radio, best to use an antenna mounted at least a few feet away from your radio.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:45:14 AM »

a half wave  sleeve antenna, like those used on motorcycles.  with a    visegrip  wrench  attached, to clamp to anything  handy.
sleeve antenna doesnt need  ground plane.
just a thought..  likely  sleeve antenna would be   2 meters only..
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

This might sound strange, but I use a set of rabbit ears that came with a portable TV I purchased years ago. I removed the 300 ohm ribbon cable and replaced it with 25 feet of rg-58. Center conductor to one ear, braid to the other ear. Open each ear to just over 18 inches and I'm ready to go on 2m. Works great and installs in seconds. And when collapsed it fits easily into a go box. And is easily adjustable for use on uhf.
I marked each ear with a sharpie to make the adjustments quickly. And it was CHEAP.

Good luck,

-Jay
WA8MXJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:04 PM »

Right-angle BNC female to PL-259 adapter, then a BNC HT antenna on it?  That would limit you to the low power, as most HT antennas are rated for up to 10w (if that).  How about a roll-up antenna, slim jim or similar style?  They can be had for less than $30 with 16' of coax.  Or, if you had the cables lying around, can be made for even less.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »

Be careful with a mag mount antenna system.  They're designed for use on metal surface that acts as a ground plane.

You should carry a SWR meter to check your antenna set-up.  A lot of dual band rigs have power fold-back if the SWR is too high.

N9LCD
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »

Two things I do. One is a 3' tripod and 20' of fiberglass tent poles from the surplus store (they are 4' long, so I get 5 or 6 of them). It gets a small 1/4 wave Arrow brand antenna far enough away from me and my equipment as not to cause problems and gets the antenna up in the air for better performance. Some guy rope and 3 large nails and a claw hammer round out that set up. It can all fit in a soft baseball bat bag except the antenna. See below for the coax.
#2- I take a Mag Mount antenna with some gain, an extra coil of coax with fittings and a barrel connector and a emergency blanket. The emergency blankets are made of thin aluminum. If you spread the blanket out folded in half, it make a decent ground for the antenna to work against. If you have something like a large pie tin or other metal that is big enough, you can just put your mag mount on the metal and it will work with a decent SWR if it was adjusted before you used it the first time.
This also gives you some distance. If you have enough cable and I would use not more than 40' with VHF/UHF unless it's LMR 400, you can even run the coax out of a window and put the antenna on top of a car. I keep a coil of LMR-400, 50 feet long with fittings and a second about 35 feet long, LMR 240. Both of these cables are low loss and won't eat up all your radio's power.

73's John KF7VXA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: