Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone on 17m qrp?  (Read 14200 times)
WA9CFK

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »

Since I am on at night, I work mostly 80 or 40 CW, so I have to ask; does anyone work 17 meters QRP?

Years ago I worked SSB from the car during the day but in the evening the band is usually dead.

I would think it would be a fine band during the day. 
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »

Folk who do HF mobile enjoy this band.  As there are not too many single band qrp kits or even published homebrew designs for this band I can see why qrp activity for 2 way qrp might be light.  As always operate any mode at 5 watts or less and I suspect you will make contacts.  And perhaps I could homebrew a nifty transceiver for 17m if I found the time. 

73 Curt
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »

I would think it would be a fine band during the day. 
It can be...I operate there some on the weekends, primarily working DX.  Currently, I use the same antenna I use on all bands:  an 80m doublet up about 45' or so.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »

I`ve found 17m to be great often at sundown and an hour or so after. During the day is fine too,but the really neat dx into the Pacific can be found around this time. I`ve also found that sometimes the band can be open even later than you might think. This is one band worth calling cq on,even if it sounds "dead".
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

I've found I can use 17m in the afternoons in my back yard using a 703 and Buddistick - even SSB! It's also my favorite mobile band, with a little more power, of course.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »

17m is my favorite band for SSB on my indoor attic antenna, for casual contacts after dinner. It is tied with 20m for number of DXCC entities worked, but I think more of those 20m contacts are on my outdoor antenna and during more extended operating sessions.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »

I tried qrp CW today on 17 m and got nowhere.  I think that is because no one was much on 17 m CW that I heard....
MI6OTW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »

Yes, I was on this band this morning. Only worked one station on CW. This I find to be a good low noise but active band ,however as I am still building my wpm speed up I find that most ops are just too fast for my 18 wpm. I will just have to keep at it.Only using a dipole in the loft myself which gets results,might put a dipole in the garden for this band in the spring/summer time.
73 Paul.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

I'm pretty active on 17m CW and find a lot of activity all day long, until slightly after sunset and then it crashes fairly badly....although if I "aim" towards where the sun is still shining (west), it's actually still open for another couple of hours, limiting contacts to only that direction.

Without a beam, it would be much more difficult.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »

I worked the FT5ZM expedition a couple nights ago on 17m ...they had a nice signal here in GA at least until 11pm local when I worked them.  5 Watts to an 80m doublet.

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 03:48:25 AM »

I worked the FT5ZM expedition a couple nights ago on 17m ...they had a nice signal here in GA at least until 11pm local when I worked them.  5 Watts to an 80m doublet.

Congrats Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one!
I still haven't got through.

- Larry NU4B
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »

A lot of the local QRP guys have been making it the past few days...I guess the pileups are shrinking a bit.

GL!

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »

A lot of the local QRP guys have been making it the past few days...I guess the pileups are shrinking a bit.

GL!

I finally got through on 20 CW last night. I see they are on 17 CW now so I think I'll wonder into the shack and see what I can do.
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »

Worked an SV2 yesterday on SSB on 17M at 1845Z, stationary mobile.  He was coming in 59+, he gave me a 55 for my booming 5 watt signal into a hamstick clone.  I've worked over 70 "entities" on SSB QRP, many of them on 17M and most of those between 1700 and 1900Z.  Haven't heard much in the evenings, though.

Mike K3CXG
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:10:28 AM »

17 meters has got many of the characteristics of 20 meters  but without the QRM. Any time 20 meters is open, you generally have the same conditions on 17. 17 meters just  sounds dead because of the lack of activity. It surprises me the number of stations who are still putting up triband only beams when they short changing themselves of 2 great bands. 17 and 12 meters are both excellent  QRP bands.

From my HF manpack with 25 watts I  get a tremendous amounts of success on 17 meters. Its so good that I can ragchew with a manpack. This is something that can be difficult because of the QRM on 20meters. Also there is less shortskip hence less QRM and splatter on 17meters which can be hell in Europe on 20 meters. The average signal level with simple antennas like wires and verticals seem to be better on 17 meters than the higher bands.  Overall I rate 17 meters as a fantastic  QRP or minimum communications power band with simple antennas like verticals. My definition of QRP is less than 25 watts of power, not contest legal QRP limit of 5 watts.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: