Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone on 17m qrp?  (Read 15926 times)
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »

17m is one of my favorite bands.  Until recently my miles per watt record was on 17m for a long time.  That band is frequently open where 15m is not.
That's my observation.
72, JP, K8AG
VE3FAL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »

Same here, I operate with my backpack radio running 20 watts to a Chameleon Hy-Brid Mini and mil whip with great success on 17 meters, the band has yielded me dx from my picnic table in the backyard to Europe on SSB with little to no problems.

Try it out and you might be extremely surprised at what you hear. Reminds me of the days operating on my favorite band of 15 meters.

Cheers
Fred
VE3FAL

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »

Yesterday I worked a G0 station on 17m cw. He was running 5w,me 100w. Very weak copy though.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:52:23 AM »

What was the antennas used for this QSO?

So many G stations just run wire antennas like the G5RV. I  have worked many USA stations with very simple antennas on CW. I seem to run into more portable and picnic table operators on 17 meters. They seem to avoid 20 meters I suppose for good reasons. 17 meters also seems to a be band where the big horizontal antenna operators seem to congregate. 17 meters is an excellent mobile band but so few mobiles chose to use 17 meters for mobile why is this so? This days with screwdrivers antennas being such a popular choice we should be hearing much more mobile activity.

The best way to summarize  17 meters is that it has 20 meters potential with the characteristics of 15 meters. This is  that is it is a quiet band with nice long  regional openings. 20 meters on the hand can open to all areas of the world at once and you can have QRM QRM'ing  the QRM!

Yesterday I worked a G0 station on 17m cw. He was running 5w,me 100w. Very weak copy though.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »

What was the antennas used for this QSO?

So many G stations just run wire antennas like the G5RV. I  have worked many USA stations with very simple antennas on CW. I seem to run into more portable and picnic table operators on 17 meters. They seem to avoid 20 meters I suppose for good reasons. 17 meters also seems to a be band where the big horizontal antenna operators seem to congregate. 17 meters is an excellent mobile band but so few mobiles chose to use 17 meters for mobile why is this so? This days with screwdrivers antennas being such a popular choice we should be hearing much more mobile activity.

The best way to summarize  17 meters is that it has 20 meters potential with the characteristics of 15 meters. This is  that is it is a quiet band with nice long  regional openings. 20 meters on the hand can open to all areas of the world at once and you can have QRM QRM'ing  the QRM!

I run an 80m dipole for 17m. Not sure what he was using. He was barely readable. The band could have been fading where he was in the U.K. Hard to say. Just like running 100 watts,some signals will always be stronger or weaker. It is a great band.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »

It's a great mobile qrp band, because it's open more often than 15, 12, or 10, and a hamstick is not that short in relation to a 13 foot quarter wave, full sized vertical antenna, so it's pretty efficient.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 04:17:22 AM »

I have found 17 meters to be a great band to operate QRP (that would be the 5 watt version of QRP). The band will have some really nice openings even during the solar minimum. And it seems much easier than even 20 meters to make some good wire antennas just from the fact they can be smaller and an effective height above ground is less.
I have worked 181 countries on 17 meters with a windom, a rotatable dipole, and my 2 element vertical wire yagi, so no fancy antennas here. I do work only on CW. 17 really does fill that space between 20 and 15 nicely, especially (as I said) during the solar mins when the upper bands are in bad shape. The same holds true in the summertime when the higher bands can seem dull.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »

To All.....

Yep! Indeed 17 meters is one real nice band for Dxing at 5 watts or less. 17 is similar to 20 meters and with a decent antenna you'll work plenty of DX.

Best regards with many 72....
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: