The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic tutorial on setting up ARCP-480 - as on my station  (Read 12488 times)
WD8OQX

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »

DISCLAIMER: Even though I am a retired Network Admin., I claim NO REAL KNOWLEDGE of the software in the ARCP-480 package. Only that I got it working on MY setup. And wish to share what I found out in doing so in hopes that it will lessen the "headaches".   Wink

This tutorial is based on my setup only. (this is also a LAN setup) I plan not to give extreme details or total step by step instructions. I also, assume that all readers have at least a working knowledge of networking and understand their computers. With that said, lets get started.

What you'll need:
Two computers, one for host & one for remote
Your TS-480 (either one – sat or HX)
A serial cable or a USB to serial cable (I use the RT Systems – usb-63), possibly a driver.
Audio cables – the ones described in the programs help, or in my case, a Signalink USB
A copy of ARCP-480

The first thing to do is make the audio cable as per the instructions in the help, if those are what you are going to use. If you use the Signalink as I did, then that will need to be set up & working. See the instructions that came with the Signalink.

Next we need to establish control of the radio. Load all the software on the host that comes in the ARCP-480 package. Whenever the firewall ask for permission to use, allow it. (this may happen a few times as we proceed) Open the “device manager” and plug in the cable. If using the “RT” cable & driver is installed, you should see the setting update & under com will be the com port used. Make note of this. Hook up all cables to the radio. Run the control program ARCP-480. Under “control” click “setup”. Make sure the com port is what you noted earlier. The baud rate should match the radio (the default is 9600). For now, leave the box for “use network command system” unchecked. At this point, you should have radio control. Make sure all works at this stage, control & audio.

On your remote, load the following programs out of the ARCP-480 package. ARCP-480 & ARPV-10R
You can load all but the rest won't be used on the remote & this will prevent confusion.

Go back to the host and run ARHP-10.  Click “control” then “setup” Set the com port to what you noted earlier. The baud rate is the same as before and the port number should already be 50000. Click on "add" & create a user & password, make note of this. Note what the IP address is.

On the remote, run ARCP-480. Click on “control” then setup. Now you click on the box... (This is to give you remote access, otherwise, it's local.)  Click on “settings”, then “add” - here you will be entering info needed to actually do the connection. Enter the following:

Connection name: User of this connection – the one you created earlier & noted OR whatever you want to name it.

Description: (whatever) this can be left blank

Address: this is the host IP address (the one you noted in the previous step), or in “command prompt” run ipconfig to get it.

IP port # (this should already be 50000)

User name: what you created earlier

Password: what you created earlier

Retype password: type it again

Go to host run ARHP-10 and click the “con” button – do the same on the remote with ARCP-480.
At this point, you should have remote control – if not, try temporarily turning off the firewall & see if works. If it does, then problem is in firewall.

When all is working, go back to host & run ARVP-10H. Make sure that the listening port # is 33550. Click on “file” then “setup”. Click “add” & create an account. Click the “online” button.

Go to the remote & run ARVP-10R. Click “file” then “setup” then add & enter the info for the audio account you made earlier.(the IP address is that of the HOST) Click “connect” - you should have audio. When connection can be made, you may need to adjust the levels of the remotes sound card. If you used the signalink the operation is VOX, sorry, that the way the signalink work.

This should be it & you should be up & running.
Any error / omissions, I will correct as needed.

73 - Tim
WD8OQX

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:17:40 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

It seems I made an error on the user & password thing. It appears that this needs to be in the host computer's user logon accounts & that user needs to be logged on as well.  Sorry...    Embarrassed 

I used my logged on user name & password when testing for convenience & didn't give it the second thought until helping someone else with their setup.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »

According to the help, it seems that I was correct in the tutorial about the user & password, but for some reason, the setup of the person I was helping didn't want to work until he used the host logon method above. Security wise, the tutorial method makes more sense, to me anyway. So, my recommendation would be to try it as outlined in the tutorial first, then if it doesn't seem to work, try the other method to see if that gets it - TO TEST -, as the bad of it this way is, that if you plan to use it WAN, it kills the security.

As stated before, I make no claims as to knowing how this software is SUPPOSED to work, only what I observe in "playing" with it.
Your mileage may vary...  

I need to test things further, in more detail. & I will report, ASAP. But right now, my time to spend on it is limited. Sorry...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:05:46 AM by WD8OQX » Logged
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »

I retested & all is as I stated in the tutorial.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.
(this software is confusing enough...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: