Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig for PSK 31 - Kit preferred  (Read 4070 times)
KD1I

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »

Now that Small Wonder Labs is out of business (OK, since 2010) can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive rig for PSK 31?    I'm interested in hiking some parks here in Georgia and operating from a summit.   I figure a small dedicated PSK rig, my laptop and some batteries would be a lot of fun on an autumn afternoon. Toss a wire into a tree and away we go.  A kit would be great.   Any ideas? Opinions?      73, Jim
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

I haven't tried PSK 31 yet but you might want to check this one out.  Sorry not a kit.
http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/PSKV2/PSKV2.htm

KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »

Stephen, first let me thank you for taking time to reply to this; I really appreciate that.    PSK-31 is a lot of fun, even if you have basic keyboard skills like myself.    The power required is really minimal; most people use about 20 watts and it lends itself to portable operation well. There are macros built into most software to eliminate the chores of the typical responses so while it sends your QTH or rig description, you can key in any questions or comments and it will send those as well.
The schematic looks like quite a well engineered and unique transceiver.   I will have to examine this carefully because, as you pointed out, it is NOT a kit.   I've constructed a lot of homebrew circuits over the years, some better than others but I must admit this would be the most challenging because of the small size and toroid transformers......   Well, I'm always up for a challenge.
At home, I like to mix my operation so while I like to chase DX, I also do a little slow scan and some PSK-31.  Many Thanks and Very Best, Jim
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

Hi Jim,

If you check the link at the top of KD1JV's page of the PSK31 design, you will see quite a bit of re-design has been done on that:  http://www.waarsenburg.com/index.php/the-news/57-a-alternative-psk31-transceiver  Probably would be worth a look.  They have a full revised schematic there, and if you write them, they might send you a PCB layout too.

Supposedly it will be offered as a kit from dxkits.com, but their website is down (that seems to happen a lot as they seem to go in spurts on their projects).

Looks like a fun project!

Mark
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »

If you really, REALLY want a dedicated PSK-31 XCVR kit, then I think
your only option is this: (And it's expensive.....210 EUROS + Shipping)
http://www.qrp-shop.biz/DigiFun-PSK-Transceiver

(I don't think even NJQRP is offering "The Warbler" any more.....)

CAVEAT EMPTOR: I bought the above mentioned "Digifun" kit when it first came
out about 10+ years ago.  It was missing many, many parts. I had
to wait a YEAR for an English version of the assembly manual. (At
the time of purchase I was told it would be ready "in 2-3 months").

And then the manual (and rig assembly) was a nightmare.
(Not to mention hand winding IF transformers with #40 wire.
Yes....#40 wire......diameter = 0.00314")
This is the only kit I have purchased in the last 20 years that
I could never get to work.......and I have built a LOT of kits,
ham radio and others! Smiley

To be fair, maybe they got the kinks worked out...but I kinda doubt it.
I have never read about or heard of anyone successfully using
or building this kit rig......
GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
PS: Your best bet (and good luck with it) is to post ads
looking for unbuilt SWL PSK kits. Hey, you might get lucky! :>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:26:00 PM by AD6KA » Logged
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 10:28:52 AM »

Holy Smokes, Ken.     That sounds like a great endorsement !!!       First it gave me a start but then I just had to laugh at the vision of winding IF transformers with # 40 wire.  I'm not sure, at the age of 66, if I could even see a wire that size.   I think I will, just for grins, look into that and see what the present state of it is.  210 Euros is not too bad for a unit that works well upon completion. I have that in my radio piggy bank.... if the XYL did not find it.   Plan "B", to find an SWL kit, is not a bad one either.  Certainly worth looking into.   Only 79 days to retirement so I'll have something to look forward to besides the next pileup on 20.   Many Thanks and Very Best 73, Jim
N7EKU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »

Hi Jim,

I wrote the OM who made up the nice looking PSK31 rig based on KD1JV's starting design.  He sent me all the patterns and layouts and parts lists for that rig.  It's very nice with a lot of cool extras (batt monitor/charger, power meter, etc).  It was supposed to start being kitted by another ham, but it looks like that is dead in the water for the time being.  I'm sure he'd send you the files too if you asked.

I'm planning to make up the main pcb for myself and could probably do one for you too if you want.  Email me at my qrz email address if you are interested.  I don't think there are any 40AWG wound toroids in that one!

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: