Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you call CQ or pounce?  (Read 18404 times)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »

At 318 countries(316 confirmed) thus far

Don, congratulations on the impressive numbers and....I hate you... (said with envy) Grin Grin Grin just kidding of course. I always like to see what other guys are doing and when you get to 318 you get to brag (I mean share) a little. All you guys over 300 just prove what you can do with a QRP station. I'm at 291 (FT5Z being 291) so knowing there're guys over 300 gives me hope that it is achievable. Of course when you work on DXCC QRP you soon realize its all possible with a little work.

I'm also impressed with your green station. Something I've wanted to do but have been to lazy to do.

THAT THRILL OF WORKING DX HAS NEVER LEFT ME. I HOPE IT NEVER WILL.

That's true with me also. One reason I like to enter the DX contests is just to work DX. I don't care if I'm working Aruba or Mongolia, I get a big thrill with a DX contact. (Plus in contests there's always the possibility of a new one and I'm never to old to learn. Last fall I learned how strong the 15M and 20M long path to east Africa was. This was actually very key to me working FT5ZM)

I've been working on DXCC QRP for 30 years now (minus a 7 year ham radio hiatus) and its been exciting every since the beginning. I wouldn't want to have done it any other way. My first DX contact when I seriously started this in 1984 was KP4ERA in Puerto Rico with my brand new HW-9 (I had just finished building) pumping out a big 4 watts.  Grin

BTW, out of 291 countries, 250 have been worked with the HW-9. Including some goodies like 7O6T, HK0NA, ZL8X, VP6DX, and VP6T. A couple entities (YB and HV) I've only worked with the HW-9.  OK, I'm done with Memory Lane.

Thanks for the post, Don, and good luck with the last 22.

- Larry NU4B
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »

To NU4B.....

Larry...thanks 4 ur kind considerate words. UR 291 COUNTRIES IS GREAT STUFF!! SINCERE CONGRADS 2 U Brother. GREAT STUFF!! I think and believe ALL Qrpers shud post their country totals somewhere within this forum . Whether you've worked 1...a hundred or 200 or more countries via 5 watts or less IS SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL and NOTEWORTHY..ABSOLUTELY A FEAT TO B PROUD OF 4 SURE!!   Anyway,that's the way I see it.
Larry-BTW I'm now at 322 countries with 320 confirmed. My hopeful and semi-realistic goal has been to reach 300 B4 becoming an SK...so 8 just 2 go 2 reach my goal. MORE POUNCING I GUESS!! hi hi. NO!! THIS ISN'T SOME April Fool's joke.
My BEST regards to ALL with many 72....73.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »

Dang!  I am so jealous of you guys.  I don't think I will ever have the patience and time to do on 100 Watts what you two have done on 5 or less.  That is just outstanding and something for which you can be really proud.  That is definitely an accomplishment that has bragging rights attached!

OK on the topic, I don't know which is best but I am surprised with the number who say search and pounce is better.  I am not challenging that position just surprised to hear it. I do not have enough experience to say for sure one way or the other, but my gut would say that being heard is the number one issue with QRP.  No?  I'm thinking that if someone can hear you, then hearing them should not be an issue.  Therefore, I would think calling CQ would be advantageous over trying to respond to someone who may not even be able to hear you.  But I guess I can understand the tendency for ops to work the louder stations and those calling CQ are more motivated to accept any response.

You learn something every day.  I am going to turn up the hunt and pounce and call CQ a little less when working QRP.

Tom/AE5QB 
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »

I agree that if you want to call CQ you are better off to call on a recognized QRP frequency.  Although people may disagree, I think it is a good idea to put "QRP" after your call.  I often go to the QRP frequencies and listen for QRP calls because I like to return their calls, even if I am QRO, so I can "test" my antennas and rig.  I believe that the guy receiving the QRP signal is doing the heavy lifting.

The other day I had a QSO with a person about 1800 miles away and he was running less than a watt.  I was thrilled that I could hear him as it was fun for me to know that my rig and my simple dipole could pick out his signal. I was running 200 watts, but I don't think he minded. Do QRP'ers mind when a QRO station contacts them? I know that when I am calling with a QRP signal, I am happy to talk to anyone. 

I also agree that most of the time you are better off by responding to CQ's if you are running QRP.  I cannot imagine that a person calling CQ would refuse to come back to a person answering his or her CQ, even if the incoming signal was weak.

I always start out calling CQ, then try to pounce, then try a CQ and alternate back and forth.

Joe
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »

To NU4B..... I had a typo B4.......I meant 330 xtries is my goal..

Larry...thanks 4 ur kind considerate words. UR 291 COUNTRIES IS GREAT STUFF!! SINCERE CONGRADS 2 U Brother. GREAT STUFF!! I think and believe ALL Qrpers shud post their country totals somewhere within this forum . Whether you've worked 1...a hundred or 200 or more countries via 5 watts or less IS SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL and NOTEWORTHY..ABSOLUTELY A FEAT TO B PROUD OF 4 SURE!!   Anyway,that's the way I see it.
Larry-BTW I'm now at 322 countries with 320 confirmed. My hopeful and semi-realistic goal has been to reach 330 B4 becoming an SK...so 8 just 2 go 2 reach my goal. MORE POUNCING I GUESS!! hi hi. NO!! THIS ISN'T SOME April Fool's joke.
My BEST regards to ALL with many 72....73.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »

to N8TI and everyone.....

I anymore don't hang-out very often on the established Qrp frequencies(like 7050Mhz,etc). When I call CQ I'm usually down at the bottom of the band edges. Example- I really like 7.003 Mhz. Just about every night I talk to my friend Peter-ZS1JX and he's continually on 7.001 Mhz. I do the same thing for SSB contacts. I like and use the bottom of the band edges. Just go to the lowest safe frequency that your class of license permits you to do so. On SSB I stay at least 3Khz from the band's edge to be safe and comply. On CW I stay 1 to 2KHZ from the band's edge. I share this with you folks because it has really worked for me over the decades in working DX. Just food 4 thought. Another thing I do and have done 4 a very long time is to list the DX station I've worked on the DX Summit so other Qrper's get an opportunity to listen and hopefully work the Dx station I listed. I suggest that ALL Qrp stations list the DX they have worked on one of the DX clusters to help other Qrpers. Again, just some food 4 thought.
Best regards with many 72....73.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --
AF5DN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

Sometimes you feel like a nut… sometimes you don’t
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »

Hello Don & Larry,

Here, 99% of all qso's are from pouncing, much easier than hoping someone will hear your
cq. Do remember when I was a novice, Iwas still writing each letter as the station was sending, so one day I am calling cq on the 15 mtr band, so I  a 6 land station answer my cq, he sends qth p e a r l   h a r b o r,  Hi. Boy, what a thrill, he was as excited as I was when he found out I was qrp, anyway as you guys know QRP FOREVER 72 Dan WG5G.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »

If I am running my OHR100A (20M) at 3 or 4 watts, I do both. If I am running my HW-8 one-watter, and it is the rig I use most of the time, I pounce. Heck I am not even heard on the RBN with the HW-8. Never-the-less, despite zero on the RBN, I worked a VK in Tasmania and Japan several times in the past few weeks. Antenna a Par EF-20.

Just a note. Don't presume that a negative response on the RBN means you not getting past your back-yard.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 03:29:22 AM »

Hello Dick,
 FB on ur HW-8 and OHR-20. I take it u like ur EF-20. I was considering getting something like that to take with me when I visit my parents place. Do u have it a traditional horizontal position or do u have it as a sloper? It seems to be working well for you.
The HW-8 is a fine rig, although I haven't used mine in many years, since I built my HW-9. I remember my first DX Qs with the HW-8 in the old American novice band on 15 meters - an F6, OH2BAD, and a ZF station. I was so thrilled. I was using what I claimed to be a dipole, certainly it was subject to debate.  Grin

Dan, WG5G,
  How u doing buddy? Hope all is well. Just hanging in there looking for the next new one.  Grin Grin
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »

Hello Larry,

Yes, doing abt the same here, hope fer better cdx this fall & maybe a chance at a new one, 73 Dan WG5G.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 02:37:17 PM »

POUNCE
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »

Hi Larry and Dan.
Great 2 C we're ALL posting here once again. I try to check this site at least once a month now.
I hope you two are healthy and well...of course chasing DX.
Always my BEST to you folks.
Gud Dxing.
Sincere regards with many 72...73.
Don sr. -- WA2TPU/Qrp --
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »

Hello Don,

Yes, it's nice to see you & Larry on this forum, hope all is well with you, bands not too gud lately but enjoyed last nite on 20 mtrs. I heard YJ8CW  calling cq abt 0700z, he only gave me a 449 but said he was running 5 watts to a dipole!!! 20 mtrs was wide open even though the K index was 4, ok 73/72 fer now, Dan WG5G.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:44 AM »

Want to pounce? Want to call CQ? Want to work some DX?

Just reminding everybody the CQMM contest is this weekend. In case you didn't know, QRP stations are worth a premium of points for those that work us in this contest. This is a CW only worldwide contest. Here is a link to the rules (courtesy of the SM3CER web site):

http://www.cqmmdx.com/rules/

I know its Easter (Happy Easter everybody) but if you get a chance, have some fun and be the "wanted" DX.   Grin

And thanks to the CQMM sponsors for recognizing QRP operation in such a positive way in their contest.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: