The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you call CQ or pounce?  (Read 27410 times)
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »

I run 5watts , got my first SSB qso on 10M, this week, he was on a rag with the west indies. As soon as the West Indies op said QRT i pounced , no answer , so i moved down some called my QSO's Call and BAMM! He came back and asked where my QTH was , then he turned his Beam at me, nice fellow , only on hour away , i feel like i conquered the World !( i was not sure my mike or SSB was operational ! hihi) all these big numbers and DX stuff does not impress me, i am going portable soon with my Backpack ,Batts, homebrew antennas and my old ARgo556 in tote , will post on SOTA , and  4SQRP spotting site, and have a blast, fresh air here i come ! yep my goal is to loose those winter fat cells, less is more after all, hihi. Enjoy all , 73's and 2s, AJ  Grin
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 05:58:22 AM »

I am a traditionalist....I call CQ. But,,,I will answer another call if I hear it.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »

Both, but pouncing is usually more productive, at least for me.
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »

I generally search & pounce where it's more competitive, eg 20m long haul SSB DX.

On the other hand if there's less competition eg 40m during the day I often call CQ, with good results even when pedestrian mobile SSB.

If everyone listens and no one calls no contacts get made.  So if conditions are good then I might occasionally call around 14.060 (CW).
Other times that calling can be successful is if QRO stations have just cleared a frequency and there's a window before the QRM gathers around and over it.

Calling CQ is an excellent test of how effective your QRP setup is - if you get responses it's effective, if not then there may be work to do.

You might enjoy this video put together a few months back of more QRP operating tips:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L9wBSsU7WA
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »

I spent the last couple of days trying to call CQ on 14.060. I had no luck whatsoever. I've had good luck, on the other hand, following on someone else's QSO. I'll spend more time tryin to call CQ, but so far... Discouraging.

I've also started to leave my main radio on the QRP watering hole for when someone calls. After I spent the last couple of days trying to get near the calling freq on my small wonders, I made a mental note to open up the filters on my TS-590 monitoring rig so I don't miss someone not right on frequency.
AK0B

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »

I enjoy working other qrp stations - I consider a signal weak signals qrp.  If I hear one called cq I will fine tune and if they didn't get an answer the next cq I will call them.

I do call CQ if the band is clear of signals.  I stay close to the standard qrp frequencies.  By close I consider plus or minus 5 KHz.

I always run qrp when answering a qrp station calling cq.   I also don't run over 5 watts on the qrp frequencies. I have worked a lot of DX stations using this method.

Stan AK0b

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »

Another question from 2014. 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 03:09:07 AM »

Hang in there, next up will be "Is life to short for.......?
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »

Quote from: K8AXW on Yesterday at 09:06:40 PM

Hang in there, next up will be "Is life to short for.......?

Indeed, hang in there because  I can assure you folks that LIFE IS PERFECT FOR Qrp.

my BEST to all of you.
GD QRP DXING....
Don sr- WA2TPU/Qrp --
A TRUE ALL AMERICAN MADE 5 WATT OR LESS QRP GREEN STATION.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »

Jim:  You're no doubt right!  I'm having a problem understanding something.

Many of the QRP group are somewhat "militant" when the use of QRP is questioned.  However, for a facet of ham radio that seems to be so popular also seems to create the same "help" questions over and over. It seems to me that those with questions never read previous posts!

Considering the popularity of QRP, (I'm guessing it's popular.....it COULD be just a small group) there should be an almost constant barrage of new questions, ideas or suggestions for a better QRP experience.  For example, equipment mods, antenna efficiency or antenna construction that is different than the same ole same ole we read here on this forum, day after day. 

Then we have individuals picking up old questions from a year or more ago and injecting them to stir the pot again.  I guess they have their agenda and I can ignore that.  What the hell, we have 14,313 and several spots on 75m phone so why not here?  Same class of people.

I guess what I'm saying is that I simply don't understand this QRP group.  It seems to me that part of this group is militant/emotional and the others are brain dead.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »

" guess what I'm saying is that I simply don't understand this QRP group.  It seems to me that part of this group is militant/emotional and the others are brain dead."

You gotta get with the program, this phenomenon is not particular to any one group, guys like us are caught up in this "New Age" where the POD is I want it and I want it now, the old ethics ranging from research to savings is passé, this is pretty well proven by the advent of credit cards and the internet. Why do the work when someone else has done it and has the answer(s), as related within in this Topic and Amateur Radio License exams specifically.

As for the pot stirrers, these are the folks that have an abundance of shit on hand and need an easy way to get rid of the excess.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:12:53 PM by W1JKA » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »

" guess what I'm saying is that I simply don't understand this QRP group.  It seems to me that part of this group is militant/emotional and the others are brain dead."

You gotta get with the program, this phenomenon is not particular to any one group, guys like us are caught up in this "New Age" where the POD is I want it and I want it now, the old ethics ranging from research to savings is passé, this is pretty well proven by the advent of credit cards and the internet. Why do the work when someone else has done it and has the answer(s), as related within this Topic and Amateur Radio License exams specifically.

As for the pot stirrers, these are the folks that have an abundance of shit on hand and need an easy way to get rid of the excess.

N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »

Is that a problem? I remembered this thread and revived it after spending a lot of time calling "CQ." over the last couple of days. This was the first time I tried calling "CQ" for an extended time, and I was surprised at how ineffective it was compared to trailing on someone's SK.  I saw no reason to start a new thread with the same title, but I still had something to contribute. This is a "hobby" and this "message board" supports discussion for the hobby. I'm surprised at how worked up people get over some of the simple benign posts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:48:01 PM by N6PG » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

I'm surprised at how worked up people get over some of the simple benign posts.

Scott:  I'm seldom "surprised" anymore!  As time goes on you develop a thick skin but........ it also has some thin spots. 

F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 05:10:14 AM »

I'm sure not "worked up".  Why not keep a non-violent thread open for an extended time period.

I, usually, pounce. Example, VK2GWK working a pile up. Got him this Friday morning on 20M CW. Running a conservative 3 watts from my TT 509. 10,805 miles from here.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: