Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chirp Software  (Read 7418 times)
KA9LWK

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »

I have a WIN7 PC and trying to install the Chirp software, without success. What is the correct sequence/instructions on loading? Appreciate any help.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »

I have a WIN7 PC and trying to install the Chirp software, without success. What is the correct sequence/instructions on loading? Appreciate any help.

I just downloaded Chirp 0.3.1 installer and the software installed fine. So not sure what you are doing wrong but what I downloaded works ok.

I simply opened the install file and away it went. 30 seconds later Chirp was ready to go.
CWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:15:03 AM »

Are you getting any error messages? Something else is that it doesn't make a desktop icon but it's under programs. I had no problem with win7 pro and XP. Linux was fine as well.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »

I have no WIN7 so I can't tell you. My experience with Windows says that, while it seems very easy to use, when I encountered troubles, these were not always easy to tackle, more I had the feeling the machine had the control of the human!!! In the Andy's Ham Radio Linux based on Ubuntu 12.04 the software was either already installed or installed later without a issue. I would "advertise" you to try a Linux distribution in the case you had not tried already.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »

I have CHIRP installed on both a 64 Bit WIN7 and an XP machine.  Occasionally a daily build will not install successfully on the WIN7 machine but gives me no trouble on the XP machine.  The problem then seems to clear up on the next daily build.  It's Windows!  A WORK IN PROGRESS!!!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »

I have chirp on 64 bit Win7 and it installed and works flawlessly.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »

I have chirp on 64 bit Win7 and it installed and works flawlessly.

So do I!

KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »

Another Win7 user here with no trouble, with CHIRP per se.  I did have a bit of a go in getting a driver installed, for a Prolific chip cable.  I got something installed from a cdrom, and then let Windows find an update.  After that, it has been fine.

Cannot really tell from the OP what the problem is, without more info.

Basil
KE5GAE
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »

Works fine with Win7 Pro 64. Try installing it as administrator and/or in compatibility mode for XP.

VA7NAD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »

I installed CHIRP for Mac on my iMac, worked first time, every time, but stuff usually works great on the Mac. Having installed Wouxun and Baofeng software on my Windows7 box, I recall a stumbling block was the connection cable itself, it requires it's own specific driver in order for the software to use it. The manufacturer has these for download, if that's the problem. Install the drivers for the cable first, and see if it shows up in Hardware Manager before proceeding it installing the other software.
Hope that helps!
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:54:54 PM »

Be aware that with Win7 (and sometimes with Vista) the situation can develop where the 'focus' does not allow a screen to be front and center.  What happens is that an install program can be putting up a prompt box, but you never see it because it is 'behind' another box. 

Try moving any status boxes off to the side and see if there is a prompt box underneath.

I've heard there are a lot of programs that won't work or install with Win7, but in actual practice I have only come up with 2.  One is the old Outlook Express, I can't get it to Win7 and I don't like that mail handler.  The other is my old version of Street Atlas 4.0

KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »

I downloaded chirp because I can't find my ADMS software, and it works perfectly!! It's so cool, I used to have to manually input each repeater (this took hours and hours) into the radio. In fact, it took so long, I only had 59 programmed. Well, Chirp offers something called "import from data source" and I used one that was free. All I did was select my state, select all 2m repeaters, and BAM!!! Everything was instantly imported in!! All tones, modes, repeater names, everything!!!! I just uploaded it to the radio and I was done!!! OMG it works perfectly!!! I now have 112 2m repeaters in my radio. When I get the parts for my Tram antenna to make it be 70cm also (a part was missing) then I'll reprogram it with all 440 repeaters as well. That's super easy and should only take a second.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:37:08 PM by KE5TJT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: