Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is REAL CW?  (Read 17196 times)
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »

I suppose to a purist, it would be a hand key, headphones, yellow pad and a pencil.  To me anything that is of reasonably decent copy sent by a person enjoying the hobby is "REAL"
Regards,
Dick KH2G
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »

I suppose to a purist, it would be a hand key, headphones, yellow pad and a pencil.

I disagree. The pad doesn't have to be yellow. But mine is....

RX on the left, (not-yet-built) TX on the right.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »

Re: KB1WSY

White or yellow pad makes no difference, just as long as their both College ruled your good to go.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »

Ahhh yes.  The feel good generation.  Never mind the answer as long as you feel good.  No more report cards or grading because someone will have their feelings hurt.  No more competition because everyone is a winner even if you quit the race in the middle.

I have no idea why this question came up unless it was to solicit "feel good" answers.

I think the question came up in order to allow 'real' CW ops (whatever that means) to pat them on the backs and complain about the damn kids these days.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »

Ahhh yes.  The feel good generation.  Never mind the answer as long as you feel good.  No more report cards or grading because someone will have their feelings hurt.  No more competition because everyone is a winner even if you quit the race in the middle.

I have no idea why this question came up unless it was to solicit "feel good" answers.

I think the question came up in order to allow 'real' CW ops (whatever that means) to pat them on the backs and complain about the damn kids these days.

We were all once " damn kids these days"  and as the time moves along the best thing we can do is offer them the insight what we have learnt, or should have learnt :-)

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

6AF:  I listened to the audio file.  Very funny!  But all so true.  I went through code school at Ft. Devens.  Part of the course was learning to touch type.  Just out of high school with 3 semesters of typing (I was supposed to have only one but managed to snag 3 semesters) I could type 80WPM from a steno book.  I could type "Now is the time....etc., well over 100WPM.

So the Army had to teach me to touch type so I could copy fast code.  Their method was to play music and the instructor would keep cadence to the music with a long stick.  We in turn were to hit the appropriate key in cadence with the stick and music.  No amount of protesting and trying to prove to these idiots that I could type better than any of them could get me out of this typing class!

So when the smoke cleared my typing went from 80WPM down to 25WPM and I almost flunked typing!  It took me over 6 months to get back to even being close to where I was.

The second 'lesson' from that audio file is the mentality of the American GI.  Regardless of the branch, in a group one man will step forward as a leader.  If the group dwindles down to two men, one of the two will be the leader.  This doesn't happen in most armies of the world.

ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »

Grin We learnt to type because it got us into the secretary course rooms, with all the YL's in it.  That place was more closely guarded than Fort Knox.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 05:26:16 AM »

Grin We learnt to type because it got us into the secretary course rooms, with all the YL's in it.  That place was more closely guarded than Fort Knox.

When I took typing in my British secondary school in the early 1970s, it was part of the "domestic science" curriculum. I was the only boy in the class.... Today, I still type at 80wpm. If only CW were just as easy....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10:59 AM »

it was part of the "domestic science" curriculum.

I was able to take typing for 3 semesters because I was too damn dumb to get through physics, chemistry or even algebra.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 07:15:40 AM »

I was able to take typing for 3 semesters because I was too damn dumb to get through physics, chemistry or even algebra.  Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

IIRC correctly, learning typing was fairly straighforward except for the bit where you learn to use the shift keys. That part, for me, was a bit like the Morse "plateau" where your learning pauses for a little while, as you assimilate some hard stuff.

Perhas that wasn't an issue with learning CW on a "mill" since it would be all-uppercase??

Also, for some reason, we never learned the top row (the number and symbol keys) which is a nuisance because even today, I look at the keyboard when typing some of those.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 07:36:48 AM »

This dude's motto, "No iambic keying. No Keyboard keying. No fldigi CW Software. 100% Traditional Manual CW with Bugs."

I guess this is why we have psychiatrists, neurotics, nut houses and serial killers. Life is too short to spent worrying and complaining about insignificant things such as whether someones uses a key, a paddle, a bug or a computer.

I have been using cw almost exclusively since 1976. But I would not be classified as a "real" cw operator because I never learned to proficiently send 30 wpm with a strait key or bug. Just happened that I was a stupid kid who just happened to build a Heathkit keyer before my novice ticket arrived so I have been sending with an electronic keyer for the last 38 years.

Heaven forbid that a blasphemous idiot is allowed to pollute the airwaves. I suggest that traditional cw police squad should be organized with powers similar to the NSA; that is no warrant or court order needed to bust in your house and confiscate and destroy all cw devices that do not fall into the strait or cootie key or bug category. If you modern rig has a built in keyer, it should also be destroyed. Possession of keyers and iambic paddles should be at least 10-20 years in Alcatraz. Keyboards and fldigi should carry the death sentence.

As a self respecting Luddite, I will be destroying my 10 paddles and 3 electronic keyers but building an altar for the remaining 4 strait keys and the crazy cootie key I own.  Or maybe not..."from my cold dead hands."
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

4J:  Very dramatic!   Roll Eyes 

Being a CW operator for almost 6 decades, I would hardly classify you as anything but a "Real CW" operator, regardless of what key you used.  I doubt if anyone else would  feel any different.

Shhhhch!
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »

Thanks Allen, could not resist poking a little fun at the quirks of our great hobby, but to each his own. Regardless what device your cw is generated by at the end is all dits and dahs.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 05:13:09 AM »

I use a Flex-5000 for CW utilizing a keyboard and the CW function built into the software. Should I apologize because I am using a keyboard that it is not "real CW? Do I need to get a spark generator to make everyone happy?

Zack
N8FNR
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »

I use a Flex-5000 for CW utilizing a keyboard and the CW function built into the software. Should I apologize because I am using a keyboard that it is not "real CW? Do I need to get a spark generator to make everyone happy?

Ha ha ha ha ha  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: