Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confederate Signal Corps  (Read 33228 times)
KJ4DHI

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »

Many years ago (1955) when I first got my novice ticket there was an organization called the Confederate Signal Corps. Does anyone know if it still exists?
K5TEB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »

Shows up on QRZ as k4hsv.  Hope this helps.  73 de k5teb,Terry.
WA4BLM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »

When I was a young ham in the early '60s I belonged to the Confederate Signal Corps in East Point, GA.  All the regular members held the rank of colonel and the officers were generals.  The club call was W4VTA and still shows up on QRZ with the trustee as KA4KRN in Riverdale, GA.  Several years ago, if memory serves, the CSC used to have a hamfest in Madison, GA but haven't had one in years, as far as I know.  Don't know if the club is still active or not.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »

This is NOT a thread necro-bump.

The fellow (k4hsv) with that item on his call sign (club call sign (?) is Confederate Signal Corps.  There is no direct internet connection so I will try snail mail next.

If there is no one actively promoting and growing this organization I would like to know.

Some SCV folks may want to help in the spirit of the 150th Anniversary of The US Civil War to call attention to civil war history, civil war battles, battlefields, and history interest before the anniversary is over next year.

It would be nice to revitalize the spirit of the group.
K4WGE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

Can somebody define "necro-posting" and why it is a Bad Thing?

Are there rules against it, and if so why not delete or lock all threads that have not been replied to after a certain time?

I suppose this post is off-topic :-(
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »

Did the south have a signal corps?? Did anybody have a signal corps back then?

K4WGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

Both sides had telegraph, I believe, and semaphore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Corps_in_the_American_Civil_War#Confederate_Signal_Corps
K4WGE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

From the Wiki link

At the First Battle of Bull Run, Confederate Capt. Edward Porter Alexander made history by transmitting the first message in combat using signal flags over a long distance. Stationed atop "Signal Hill" in Manassas, Alexander saw Union troop movements and signaled to the brigade under Col. Nathan "Shanks" Evans, "Look out for your left, your position is turned", which meant that they were in danger of being attacked on their left flank.[18] Upon receiving a similar message, Gens. Beauregard and Joseph E. Johnston sent timely reinforcements that turned the tide of battle in the Confederates' favor.[19]

On the Union side, Albert Myer attempted to deploy a military observation balloon at Manassas, bringing along 20 troops from the 26th Pennsylvania Infantry because of the lack of Signal Corps personnel that early in the war. Because of the haste of these untrained men, the balloon was damaged after a collision with a tree and could not be used for the battle.[20]
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

The Confederates had the first "no code" telegraph, the Beardslee telegraph. I saw one of these units in a museum in Fredericksburg, VA. I think they finally decided that human telegraph operators were more reliable and easier to deploy.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »

"Napoleonic semaphore [1793] was the world's first telegraph network, carrying messages across 19h-Century France faster than ever before. Now a group of enthusiastic amateurs are reviving the ingenious system. "
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22909590

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »

YT Video: "How France's Napoleonic semaphore system worked"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzZJr2OnAzM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: