Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take to get a Vanity Call Sign?  (Read 11790 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

....application submitted over a week ago....listed as pending....what is the turn around time with Uncle Charlie???.....

V
KA3NRX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »

Seriously, no one out the 39 views holds a personal call sign and doesn't know?.....man, seems strange to me....oh well...hope someone responds.....the waiting is almost as painful as waiting for a qsl card from a new country...

V
KA3NRX

N0AXE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

18 days....from the application date.
Go to AE7Q.com his webpage explains most of what you want to know
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:38:08 AM »

It  could come as quickly as ten day--or may take up to a month.  Depends on the workload the FCC faces at the time.  If they have a larger than normal amount of VEC paperwork to go through it would increase the wait time.  Then again, if the government were to be shut down again....
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:37 AM »

It  could come as quickly as ten day--or may take up to a month.  Depends on the workload the FCC faces at the time.  If they have a larger than normal amount of VEC paperwork to go through it would increase the wait time.  Then again, if the government were to be shut down again....

Sorry, but no. It does NOT depend on the workload. And it is never as short as ten days, nor as long as a month (except for the one time about ten years ago when ALL licensing activity was on-hold due to the anthrax scare.)

There's a very specific schedule that is based on allowing enough time for applications submitted on paper (by mail) to "catch up" with electronic applications, and also allowing applicants using the online filing system to mail in payments.

There's a detailed explanation in item 8 on AE7Q's vanity note page, but here's a summary:

- Applications are considered "received" as of midnight on the day submitted (if it's a business day), or midnight of the next business day.
- A seventeen-day "hold" is imposed to allow paper apps to catch up with electronic, and to allow paper checks to clear.
- Applications are typically processed early in the morning on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday, as a fully-automated task. This task is executed based upon the manual creation (the previous day) of a queue of apps to be processed that have completed the seventeen-day hold. So if the previous day is a Federal holiday, processing won't occur on the following Tuesday/Friday/Saturday.
- The FCC computers run the scheduled app queue early in the morning, and results are posted to the ULS immediately.

This routine results in a nominal 18-20 day delay from filing to execution; the variation depends on which day of the week you file.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »

Mine took 13 days, just be patient, you'll get it sooner or later.  73  Jim  W5JJG
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »

Mine took 13 days, just be patient, you'll get it sooner or later.  73  Jim  W5JJG

Jim -

Maybe it seemed like only 13 days, but the FCC record says it took longer.

- You applied on 16 April 2011 (a Saturday)
- Your application was considered received on 18 April 2011 (the next Monday, which was the next business day)
- You were granted W5JJG on 6 May 2011, 18 days after your receipt date, which is exactly in-line with the schedule I posted above.

Steve
W3HF
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:31 AM »

....application submitted over a week ago....listed as pending....what is the turn around time with Uncle Charlie???.....

V
KA3NRX

Vince -

Your application shows a receipt date of 21 January. (That's because Monday was a Federal holiday so your Sunday submission had to wait until the next business day the government was open.)

Following the rules I pointed out earlier, you should process early on the morning of 8 Feb.

Steve
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »

V
KA3NRX

Vince -

Your application shows a receipt date of 21 January. (That's because Monday was a Federal holiday so your Sunday submission had to wait until the next business day the government was open.)

Following the rules I pointed out earlier, you should process early on the morning of 8 Feb.

Steve

On a Saturday?

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »

On a Saturday?

Yes. If you read the references, the FCC staff sets up the processing run on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays but everything else is automatic. The task runs autonomously just after midnight Eastern time, and posts to the ULS immediately. So the Monday "batch" runs Tuesday morning, the Thursday batch on Friday morning, and the Friday batch on Saturday morning. By about 2 AM ET on 8 Feb, your application will have been processed. Assuming everything is okay with the application, you will be able to use your new call by about 0700z (maybe a little sooner--check the ULS then if you are awake) on the 8th.
N0AXE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »

Yep AE7q predicts you should get K3NRX on the 8th of Feb. 2014.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »

Hmmm....ok....seems like a strange process, but I can go one more week with the long call.....thanks....

V
KA3NRX

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 05:26:32 AM »

As with all other government offices, the rules and guidelines are there but are 'worst case' guidelines.  Unless there are problems with the licensee or with the previous state of the requested callsign, those so called guidelines may not be applied.  I'm not saying that it's gonna come faster, I'm saying simply that it may come sooner than those guidelines indicate.  The government makes rules to break them--so often that those rules mean absolutely nothing more than poor justification for some government employee supposedly earning their paycheck.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 05:38:10 AM »

Hmmm....ok....seems like a strange process, but I can go one more week with the long call.....thanks....

V
KA3NRX

You've had this call since 1985 and NOW you are in a hurry to change it?
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »

As with all other government offices, the rules and guidelines are there but are 'worst case' guidelines.  Unless there are problems with the licensee or with the previous state of the requested callsign, those so called guidelines may not be applied.  I'm not saying that it's gonna come faster, I'm saying simply that it may come sooner than those guidelines indicate.  The government makes rules to break them--so often that those rules mean absolutely nothing more than poor justification for some government employee supposedly earning their paycheck.
Sorry, but that's not true. I explained that the delays are there for specific reasons: to allow for paper submissions (since the FCC has the additional step of manually inputting them into their computer system) and to allow for checks to clear (so they don't have to rescind an assignment).

Yes, it can take longer, so even these "guidelines" (as you call them) are not really worst case. Sometimes there are computer glitches when the batch job doesn't run. And I mentioned the anthrax scare that shut down all processing. (And the reason that shut down online processing was because they had to preserve where in the processing sequence the paper applications fit.)

And that last parenthetical statement is the reason that they DON'T ever take shortcuts. Every vanity application processed can affect all succeeding applications, as the assignment of a callsign makes that call unavailable to everyone else. If even a single application is taken out of sequence, it compromises the integrity of the process.

So I challenge you to find a single example of a vanity callsign assignment that took less than 18 days. Not someone's recollection of less than 18 days, because no one remembers everything perfectly. Show me a sequence in the ULS that documents an assignment less than 18 days from the receipt date. Until you can do that, please don't state opinions or perspectives that are not supported by facts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: