Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take to get a Vanity Call Sign?  (Read 14094 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 06:56:29 AM »

Yep AE7q predicts you should get K3NRX on the 8th of Feb. 2014.

Hmmm....ok....seems like a strange process, but I can go one more week with the long call.....thanks....

V
KA3NRX

You've had this call since 1985 and NOW you are in a hurry to change it?

Quite honestly, yes.....In having research done by Pete the Greek, the call sign I selected K3NRX was never issued for some strange reason....I kept KA3NRX for the longest time because I liked the suffix, (the way it flows for CW is why)....I didn't want to change to a standard issue extra class call sign that I might wind up hating, and didn't do the vanity thing for the longest time because I didn't want to walk around with a dead guys call for the rest of my life...So if it wasn't for Pete's research verifying K3NRX never being assigned (why, no one knows), I would probably not be doing this..and the main reason, in all seriousness, is that I am doing it now because I am sick and tired of the 2x3 format (and have been for some time)....it's too long, and is a cumbersome detriment especially for dxing....& repeating, I have felt this way for at least 15 years, but never made a move for the reasons stated above...so the short answer to your quesiton, after almost 30 years, yes, ASAP....I am as you say "in a hurry" to change it....

V
KA3NRX
soon to be K3NRX

P.S. Riddle me this....Why are they called "vanity"call signs?   I hear the word "vanity" and I think of someone stuck on themselves sitting in front of a mirror admiring how beautiful they are, and that Carly Simon and Mick Jagger should be signing a "song about you."  Wouldn't calling them "personal" call signs be more appropriate???

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:01:17 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

... the call sign I selected K3NRX was never issued for some strange reason... (why, no one knows)...

Actually, it's likely quite simple, and I'm surprised Pete didn't mention it.

I'll bet KN3NRX was issued (as a Novice) but the holder never upgraded, so he didn't get the K3NRX call. Back then Novice licenses weren't renewable, so if you didn't upgrade, you went off the air--you couldn't keep your Novice license indefinitely like you can now. Since the FCC never had to go through the 3rd district multiple times, there was never an opportunity to "try again" with someone else.

I'm not at home now, so I can't check my own collection of callbooks, but it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

P.S. Riddle me this....Why are they called "vanity"call signs?   I hear the word "vanity" and I think of someone stuck on themselves sitting in front of a mirror admiring how beautiful they are, and that Carly Simon and Mick Jagger should be signing a "song about you."  Wouldn't calling them "personal" call signs be more appropriate???

Maybe, but I'll bet they were copying the terminology used for automobile license plates, and most states refer to them as vanity plates.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »

I'll bet KN3NRX was issued (as a Novice) but the holder never upgraded, so he didn't get the K3NRX call. Back then Novice licenses weren't renewable, so if you didn't upgrade, you went off the air--you couldn't keep your Novice license indefinitely like you can now. Since the FCC never had to go through the 3rd district multiple times, there was never an opportunity to "try again" with someone else.

I'm not at home now, so I can't check my own collection of callbooks, but it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Actually, when you check your books, you will see that KN3NRX was never issued either.....per Pete's e-mail response to me after his research:

GE, Vince.
My results are complete and I have a definitive conclusion for you;

K3NRX has never been assigned.
Neither has KN3NRX.

I spent about 6 hours to examine every single callbook from the start of the 3-land K prefix to 1997; the last printed callbook.

The summer edition of 1961 would have been the one to reflect the Novice [KN3NRX] version, but curiously, the entire KN3NR_ series was exempted from issue for some unknown reason. It goes from KN3NQX directly to KN3NSA.

So there you have it......Like I mentioned before, when the "vanity" call sign program began, I would have done this sooner had I known.....If there is anyone out there who knows why that particular block of call signs were never issued, I'd love to know why....were they old Aircraft or Military designations or something?.....Again, I'd be real curious to know the reasoning behind that....but at least I won't be going around with and SK's call....that would be like stomping on someone's grave to me....

V
KA3NRX
soon to be K3NRX

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:08:42 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »

...So I challenge you to find a single example of a vanity callsign assignment that took less than 18 days. Not someone's recollection of less than 18 days, because no one remembers everything perfectly. Show me a sequence in the ULS that documents an assignment less than 18 days from the receipt date. Until you can do that, please don't state opinions or perspectives that are not supported by facts.

Likewise, don't tout your opinion as gospel either.  Because it isn't.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

...So I challenge you to find a single example of a vanity callsign assignment that took less than 18 days. Not someone's recollection of less than 18 days, because no one remembers everything perfectly. Show me a sequence in the ULS that documents an assignment less than 18 days from the receipt date. Until you can do that, please don't state opinions or perspectives that are not supported by facts.

Likewise, don't tout your opinion as gospel either.  Because it isn't.

What you call "my opinion" is the same information found at all of the authoritative web sites:

www.ae7q.net
www.w5yi.org
www.arrl.org
and the now-defunct www.vanityhq.com

The comments you made are not supported by anyone else, and can not be documented or substantiated.

I leave it to the "audience" to determine whose "opinion" has credibility.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »

Yep AE7q predicts you should get K3NRX on the 8th of Feb. 2014.

Hmmm....ok....seems like a strange process, but I can go one more week with the long call.....thanks....

V
KA3NRX

You've had this call since 1985 and NOW you are in a hurry to change it?

Quite honestly, yes.....In having research done by Pete the Greek, the call sign I selected K3NRX was never issued for some strange reason....I kept KA3NRX for the longest time because I liked the suffix, (the way it flows for CW is why)....I didn't want to change to a standard issue extra class call sign that I might wind up hating, and didn't do the vanity thing for the longest time because I didn't want to walk around with a dead guys call for the rest of my life...So if it wasn't for Pete's research verifying K3NRX never being assigned (why, no one knows), I would probably not be doing this..and the main reason, in all seriousness, is that I am doing it now because I am sick and tired of the 2x3 format (and have been for some time)....it's too long, and is a cumbersome detriment especially for dxing....& repeating, I have felt this way for at least 15 years, but never made a move for the reasons stated above...so the short answer to your quesiton, after almost 30 years, yes, ASAP....I am as you say "in a hurry" to change it....

V
KA3NRX
soon to be K3NRX

It's "vanity" for just the reason you describe, in many (maybe most) cases.  A new Technician wants to hide behind an old-timey-sounding call so he thinks he sounds more impressive on the air.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:01 AM »

P.S. Riddle me this....Why are they called "vanity"call signs?   I hear the word "vanity" and I think of someone stuck on themselves sitting in front of a mirror admiring how beautiful they are, and that Carly Simon and Mick Jagger should be signing a "song about you."  Wouldn't calling them "personal" call signs be more appropriate???
_______

It's "vanity" for just the reason you describe, in many (maybe most) cases.  A new Technician wants to hide behind an old-timey-sounding call so he thinks he sounds more impressive on the air.

The term 'vanity' can be misleading, personalized may well be better.  In most cases, a vanity callsign is simply an easy way to remember that callsign, as in a person gets a callsign that uses his or her initials.  Also, vanity calls tend to be shorter, and some get them so it's easier to send the call using CW.

I got my call because CJS are my initials--simply that.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »

OK...it's February 8....AE7Q site still has it listed as pending level 2..FCC Site says "Granted"...and "Authorization Printed"......Is there a place to go where I can print up the "authorization?".....& When can I start using the new call sign???.....

V
KA3NRX
soon to be K3NRX

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:12:42 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:44:52 AM »

The ULS database shows KA3NRX as cancelled and K3NRX to be active so you can start using it.... NOW!!!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »

The ULS database shows KA3NRX as cancelled and K3NRX to be active so you can start using it.... NOW!!!

COOL!....I am on this....thanks much!......

V
K3NRX....

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »

OK...it's February 8....AE7Q site still has it listed as pending level 2..FCC Site says "Granted"...and "Authorization Printed"......Is there a place to go where I can print up the "authorization?".....& When can I start using the new call sign???.....

Sorry, should have pointed this out earlier. The ULS site will have the data immediately. And since your license is defined as "the record on the ULS," that's the only one that matters. Now that it is posted, you start using the new call--your old call is cancelled and no longer valid. How long it takes to migrate to the third-party sites (AE7Q, QRZ, WM7D, etc) depends on:

- When FCC posts the transaction and update files for download
- When the robots at those sites are scheduled to retrieve the new files

As for "printing the authorization", yes you can print a reference copy, but the "real" license is the database entry. On the ULS page that has your record, click "Reference Copy."

P.S. Right on schedule!!
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »

Now that it is posted, you start using the new call--your old call is cancelled and no longer valid.

Didn't I just say that?
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

So, next step...any idea how long it takes for the actual paper license to arrive in the mail?....Only reason I ask is I will be changing the license plate on my car and the DMV here in PA requires a copy of the new ham ticket....Lot's to do....new wooden call sign for on top of the radio, new ball caps....New accounts on here and QRZ....and yes, I am even takin the LOTW plunge.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked....Hey, thanks for all the input, guys...I really appreciate it....

V
K3NRX

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »

Officially, there is no "actual paper license." Your license is the database entry on the ULS.

Print the reference copy from the ULS. Since they want a copy, they won't care if it's not on "special" paper, and will be expecting plain white bond.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »

Didn't I just say that?

Since you are being picky, so will I.

No, you did not say that.

The ULS database shows KA3NRX as cancelled and K3NRX to be active so you can start using it.... NOW!!! (blue emphasis added)

You said "can," as if it were an option, which it's not. I said "start using [it]" and explained that a cancelled call is no longer valid. You may think that's a subtle difference, but I thought the emphasis was warranted.

I also answered his other question, and explained why AE7Q (and other sites) didn't list the new call.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: