Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take to get a Vanity Call Sign?  (Read 14111 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »

Officially, there is no "actual paper license." Your license is the database entry on the ULS.

Print the reference copy from the ULS. Since they want a copy, they won't care if it's not on "special" paper, and will be expecting plain white bond.

There is no paper license?.....Um...yeah...how does this work?.....seriously, I thought you had to have an official paper license in your shack....this is kind of disturbing....not for the car plate application at all...I am sure the ref copy is good enough, BUT, I still want to see an official document.....this gives me an unsettling feeling.....someone please verify that this is the case.....No actual paper license?....Forgive me for being old school, but I need to have something officially in my hand....

V
K3NRX

W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »

Officially, there is no "actual paper license." Your license is the database entry on the ULS.

Print the reference copy from the ULS. Since they want a copy, they won't care if it's not on "special" paper, and will be expecting plain white bond.

There is no paper license?.....Um...yeah...how does this work?.....seriously, I thought you had to have an official paper license in your shack....this is kind of disturbing....not for the car plate application at all...I am sure the ref copy is good enough, BUT, I still want to see an official document.....this gives me an unsettling feeling.....someone please verify that this is the case.....No actual paper license?....Forgive me for being old school, but I need to have something officially in my hand....

V
K3NRX

Well they will send you something, but it too is just a copy. As I said, your actual license is the database entry.

Yes, I remember the days when you had to have the actual FCC paper in your possession when you operated, but those days are long gone. Part 97 says nothing of the sort.

- 97.3(a)(1) defines an amateur radio operator as "A person named in an amateur operator/primary license station grant on the ULS consolidated licensee database to be the control operator of an amateur station."

- 97.5(a), under the heading "Station License Required", says "The station apparatus must be under the physical control of a person named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated license database."

Those are the rules that let someone operate with recently-earned privileges without the /AG or /AE suffix once the upgrade posts on the ULS. Those are the rules that let me operate here in Denver on a trip, without the laminated copy that I used to carry in my wallet in the 1970s. And those are the rules that let you use K3NRX now, before any paper arrives, and even if it never arrives.

So go back and look at your listing on the ULS. I linked to it in my earlier message. That, my friend, is your license, and all the proof you legally need.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:09 PM »

Didn't I just say that?

Since you are being picky, so will I.

No, you did not say that.

The ULS database shows KA3NRX as cancelled and K3NRX to be active so you can start using it.... NOW!!! (blue emphasis added)

You said "can," as if it were an option, which it's not. I said "start using [it]" and explained that a cancelled call is no longer valid. You may think that's a subtle difference, but I thought the emphasis was warranted.

(Purple and bold emphasis added by me)

This is the most absurd thing I have ever seen so far this year! But hey, its only February so I am sure someone will eventually top this as being an incredibly moronic statement!

I just finished telling the OP that his old license had been cancelled. There is no way to misinterpret this, except maybe by you! There is no grey area in this statement or any other way to construe its meaning except that his old license was no longer valid. I went on to tell him that his new vanity callsign was active. Again, there is no other way to interpet this statement other than to mean than that the callsign he requested had been granted.

So how then is saying that he can use his new callsign imply that he has the option to do anything other than to start using it immediately? What would his other options be?

Furthermore, there was no misinterpretation by the OP!!

The ULS database shows KA3NRX as cancelled and K3NRX to be active so you can start using it.... NOW!!!

COOL!....I am on this....thanks much!......

V
K3NRX....

So really, what was the purpose of your statement, "You said "can," as if it were an option..." other than to point out the supposed grammatical flaw in my statement and attempt embarrass me while at the same time further inflating your already enlarged ego by flaunting your superior knowledge of the English language?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »

Whew! Now that I have that off my chest....

....and yes, I am even takin the LOTW plunge.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked....Hey, thanks for all the input, guys...I really appreciate it....

V
K3NRX

Assuming you have been logging calls under KA3NRX, you will actually need to get two certificates. (And just so W3HF does not get confused, that means you will need to get more than one certificate but less than three.) You will need to get one certificate for KA3NRX that is valid from the date it was issued until February 7, 2014. You will then need to get another certificate for K3NRX that is valid from February 8, 2014.

When you get your certificates (and this is somewhat of a painstaking process), you will digitally sign your KA3NRX logs with that certificate and upload them to LoTW. Once that is done, you MUST (notice that I did not say "can" because you do not have any option!) use the other certificate for contacts you made today (2/8/2014) and contacts you will make in the future. Eventually your KA3NRX certificate will expire but there is no need to renew it since you won't need it to sign any more logs under that callsign. Don't worry, you will still get confirmations under your old callsign even after the certificate is expired.

Now comes the tricky part  which is to link the records of these two callsigns together. When I did that, I called the ARRL just to be sure there were no mistakes. This way you will be able to get credit for all of the contacts made by you regardless of which callsign was used.

Confused yet?
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »

To N0IU:

I‘m sorry for torqueing you up, and for being so nit-picky in my response. I sensed, perhaps incorrectly, an annoyance in your “Didn’t I just say that?” question. Instead of simply stating that, yes, you HAD answered that part of OP’s question, I retaliated. I responded to a perceived attack on my own post by choosing to parse your words in a way that was unproductive. That’s the answer to your “What was the purpose…” question, and I apologize for that.

But actually, OP DID misunderstand part of the process—his later question on the paper license indicated that he didn’t think pointing to the ULS was enough. So additional comments WERE required to explain WHY our answers were correct.

So let’s call a truce to this unnecessary escalation.

Steve
W3HF
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:17 AM »

OK, truce!

Maybe I should switch to decaf?

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »

....and yes, I am even takin the LOTW plunge.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked....Hey, thanks for all the input, guys...I really appreciate it....

V
K3NRX

Assuming you have been logging calls under KA3NRX, you will actually need to get two certificates. (And just so W3HF does not get confused, that means you will need to get more than one certificate but less than three.) You will need to get one certificate for KA3NRX that is valid from the date it was issued until February 7, 2014. You will then need to get another certificate for K3NRX that is valid from February 8, 2014.

When you get your certificates (and this is somewhat of a painstaking process), you will digitally sign your KA3NRX logs with that certificate and upload them to LoTW. Once that is done, you MUST (notice that I did not say "can" because you do not have any option!) use the other certificate for contacts you made today (2/8/2014) and contacts you will make in the future. Eventually your KA3NRX certificate will expire but there is no need to renew it since you won't need it to sign any more logs under that callsign. Don't worry, you will still get confirmations under your old callsign even after the certificate is expired.

Now comes the tricky part  which is to link the records of these two callsigns together. When I did that, I called the ARRL just to be sure there were no mistakes. This way you will be able to get credit for all of the contacts made by you regardless of which callsign was used.

Confused yet?

Nope...because I am LOTW illiterate. I have not uses LOTW yet with the old call sign, so no worries there..LOTW will be a new adventure into unchartered water...thanks for all the info....

V
K3NRX

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »

V
K3NRX

Confused yet?

Nope...because I am LOTW illiterate. I have not used LOTW yet with the old call sign, so no worries there..LOTW will be a new adventure into unchartered water...thanks for all the info....

V
K3NRX

N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 06:26:19 AM »

I'm sure you have it by now. Took mine about three weeks. I've had two of them so far. I like my Calls to have some meaning to me and the FCC roatation calls have never fit my desire. My N4VNV stands for "Viet Nam Vet"!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

The FCC still sends out a paper license certificate.  If you print one out from the FCC website, the printout will spell out 'reference copy' right across the face of it.  The license sent out through the mail does not.  IT is your license certificate, and you should display it or a good copy of it in your shack--that is its purpose.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »

Bear in mind that although many hams do display the printed certificate, there is no legal requirement to have it hanging on your shack wall.  I had mine laminated and I keep it in my wallet for the occasional trip up to Canada where I might get asked by the folks at the border (in either direction) about my little mobile rig.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: