Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't connect to internet  (Read 4737 times)
K1PJR

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:45:56 PM »

I was at QRZ this morning and clicked off Explorer in error so I opened up my browser and all I now get is "waiting for yahoo" with the cursor circle going round and round. I let it be and came back 10 minutes later and it was still "waiting".

I clicked on the toolbar and it says I have connectivity to my Netgear wireless router with a full compliment of green bars. I ran the troubleshooting diagnostic which tries to connect to the internet and that does the same thing: it just says it's checking but nothing ever happens. Just a green sliding bar that just keeps going and going.

Help!!!

Phil
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:28:40 AM »

How were you able to post this message if you can't connect to the Internet?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:33:54 AM »

Unplug the router, unplug the modem. Wait a 1 minute and reconnect. After reconnecting everything, reboot the computer.  

If that doesn't work, then it could be at your ISP's end. While you could be connected to the ISP, but the ISP is having internet issues on their end. I have seen that happen at 4 to 5 am when they do their unannounced maintenance.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:16:01 AM »

Unplug the router, unplug the modem. Wait a 1 minute and reconnect. After reconnecting everything, reboot the computer.  

If that doesn't work, then it could be at your ISP's end. While you could be connected to the ISP, but the ISP is having internet issues on their end. I have seen that happen at 4 to 5 am when they do their unannounced maintenance.

No need to reboot computer if its a router issue, it will renew DHCP info automatically. Also when you repower, power up modem first, wait 30 sec or so then power up router.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »

No need to reboot computer if its a router issue, it will renew DHCP info automatically. Also when you repower, power up modem first, wait 30 sec or so then power up router.

One computer needed rebooting, it would not reconnect.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:53:08 AM »

Was it a XP machine?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:48:41 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »

...I clicked on the toolbar and it says I have connectivity to my Netgear wireless router with a full compliment of green bars. I ran the troubleshooting diagnostic which tries to connect to the internet and that does the same thing: it just says it's checking but nothing ever happens. Just a green sliding bar that just keeps going and going....

The issue isn't in the internet or the connection, it's either at a remote internet hub or in your computer.  Simply close the browser and re-boot the computer.  If the computer now connects to the internet and you can surf other websites, try the QRZ site again.  If the results are still the 'waiting' screen, either they or their ISP hub has issues.  You'll simply have to try them later. 
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  I'll try later when I get home. Someone asked how I posted here if my connection was down. Iphone.

Phil
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

I had a Netgear wireless router that would, once every couple of months, simply stop serving DHCP IP addresses to the computers until I rebooted the router. I finally bought a new router - problem solved.

That fact that you have a valid wireless connection does not necessarily mean that the router has assigned a valid IP address on the network to the computer. If you open the command prompt and type ipconfig, you'll see the IPv4 address assigned to the computer. If it's 169. something, that's the Windows default indicating that it did not receive a valid address from the router. Most routers assign an address in the 192.168.x.x range.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:08:36 AM by AA4PB » Logged
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »

Ok fixed the problem. Went to control panel and disabled my network connection then reconnected and everything is fine. Must have been a hiccup (technical expression)
 Smiley

Again, thanks for call the advice. Much appreciated!

Phil
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »

I had a Netgear wireless router that would, once every couple of months, simply stop serving DHCP IP addresses to the computers until I rebooted the router. I finally bought a new router - problem solved.

That fact that you have a valid wireless connection does not necessarily mean that the router has assigned a valid IP address on the network to the computer. If you open the command prompt and type ipconfig, you'll see the IPv4 address assigned to the computer. If it's 169. something, that's the Windows default indicating that it did not receive a valid address from the router. Most routers assign an address in the 192.168.x.x range.

I have had to do the same thing here. All of a sudden everything stops! No Vonage, no computer can get on the internet. Unplug the entire network and wait about 20 minutes and plug things in, one at a time. Modem, router, etc etc...everybody's happy again for another 6 mos.
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: