The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RTTY Rig for FSK?  (Read 31132 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »

It would be very helpful to describe exactly what your problems were and what modes, conditions you were using rather than just saying it was a POS that used VOX. By the way, I've used a number of interfaces on different radios including a number that I designed and built myself and one that was written up in QST and I sold a bunch of PC boards for. I got a SignaLink-USB when it first came out (which I had to wait several months for) because I was interested in the single USB connection to the PC and an independent sound card so I could use the computer sound card and speakers for normal Windows stuff. Mine was completely "plug and play" with no problems. Its internal VOX circuit handles the transmit PTT with no problems on most digital modes. I expect that there could be some timing issues with it if you try to use it with a mode that must switch quickly between Rx and Tx (such as an ARQ mode) but for modes like PSK31 or RTTY it works just fine.

Would it be my first choice today? Perhaps not because there are a lot to choose from now and a number that include other features like FSK and rig control. However, I still don't believe that you can find a simpler, easy to use, low cost, basic interface than the SignaLink-USB.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:42:00 AM by AA4PB » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »

It would be very helpful to describe exactly what your problems were

I still don't believe that you can find a simpler, easy to use, low cost, basic interface than the SignaLink-USB.

Nail meet hammerhead. Bingo. Basic, low cost and simple.
I bought it because it was the cheapest commercial interface available.

I can't remember too much about the Signal link. It was a long time ago and I don't always remember what happened last week, forget a long time ago.  Cheesy

I do remember I did not like the Signallink because of no PTT, cable to microphone input connector instead of acc ports, internal jumpers, a real pain to get audio levels correct and a few other things I have forgot.

Stan K9IUQ

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »

They now come with cables for the ACC connector or the mike connector, your choice. They also come with a molded jumper plug for the radio of your choice so you don't have to insert jumpers. I got mine before all that so I had to make my own jumpers and ACC cable which I had no problem doing and it is still working today - many years later.

I don't see a price yet on the Timewave Navigator but most of their other interfaces are in the $500 range. The SignaLink-USB is in the $100 range, quite a difference if you don't really need the other features.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:07:43 PM by AA4PB » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »

I don't see a price yet on the Timewave Navigator but most of their other interfaces are in the $500 range. The SignaLink-USB is in the $100 range, quite a difference if you don't really need the other features.

Yes the new Navigator is probably going to be $$$. Timewave seems quite proud of their products and their prices reflect that.

The Navigator does have many nice features that one must pay extra for. Like FSK, PTT control, Serial port output, CAT control thru USB, WinKeyer, No jumpers needed, all done thru a utility program, Front panel knob  adjustment for many parameters and probably the best soundcard for digital modes builtin. It is also built like a tank, really rugged.

I paid $375 for mine in 2008 at the Dayton Hamfest. I thought it was pretty expensive but having had it now for over 5 years I have to say it was worth it.

Stan K9IUQ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »

I ordered the Rigblaster Advantage yesterday with the 13 pin DIN cable for my Kenwood TS-570.   I figured this was the best product for the price on the market that will let me do FSK RTTY with a nice clean signal and no worries about LSB AFSK potential issues.

I don't think I need the MIC connection with the DIN cable.   If I do then I can put that on when I want to do digital.  Easy enough.   Don't want to touch my current VOX / Mic - hands free setup for SSB.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: