Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "73" in Digital Master waterfall  (Read 5806 times)
K4TPC

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:08 PM »

Last night I was monitoring 20 meter BPSK-31 using Digital Master 780. After a QSO was completed I swear I saw "73" in the waterfall where the QSO was "flowing." Is this a cool trick with BPSK-31 or was I having an "X-Files" moment? I'm new to monitoring ham digital modes so my experience is short.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »

Last night I was monitoring 20 meter BPSK-31 using Digital Master 780. After a QSO was completed I swear I saw "73" in the waterfall where the QSO was "flowing." Is this a cool trick with BPSK-31 or was I having an "X-Files" moment? I'm new to monitoring ham digital modes so my experience is short.

Modulating a signal so that letters and numbers appears in a waterfall display is Hellschreiber mode. Some digital mode applications use it to optionally insert words like CQ or 73 at the end of a digital mode transmission that's likely being viewed in a waterfall display.

Dave, AA6YQ
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:38:33 AM »

It's called "Video ID" and some digital programs like Ham Radio Deluxe and Fldigi have it as an option.

http://blog.g4ilo.com/2010/03/show-your-id.html

Ray AG6WT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »

and it is not narrow band like PSK31 so you are potentially transmitting "73" on top of a number of other ongoing QSOs.
K4TPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I'm happy I wasn't hallucinating when I saw it; very interesting indeed.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:10:33 AM »

If you put the command <ident:73> in your closing, it will transmit it. No matter where you put it in your macro sequence, it will always be transmitted first!

Also, if you go to Program Options (F8), Modes + IDs, Video ID, you will see a check box that says Show Video ID button on QSO transmit toolbar. You can also select the option to show it on the toolbar under Program Options, QSO, Transmit. There is a Video ID checkbox. This way you can use the video ID any time you want without having to imbed it into a macro sequence.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:13:35 AM by N0IU » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

It's not likely that transmitting the video ID would be of any consequence to an adjacent transmission. Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: