Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting guests use my radio  (Read 2279 times)
KF5VHJ

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about the legality and requirements for letting a guest use my ham radio.  There was some discussion of this in my ARRL licensing book but it was not clear to me, so if anyone could help clarify that'd be great.

Am I allowed to let someone without a license transmit on my radio as long as I'm say standing next to them and monitoring everything they do?  This'd be great to get some young boy scouts interested in the hobby, if I could let them actually transmit.  What are the rules regarding this type of behavior?  How would they identify themselves (using my call?)?  Just want to make sure I'm legal before I do anything....

Thanks,
Mike
KF5VHJ
KC2NEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »

Googled it and found this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/256926-can-unlicensed-persons-operate-my-equipment-under-my-supervision.html

It seems this is considered third-party traffic and it is permitted after all.
I learned something!

sean
KC2NEO
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »

Yes, you can let them operate your radio as long as you are present and acting as the "control operator". One caution about working DX. It is considered third party traffic and it is NOT permitted with countries that the U.S. does not have a third party agreement with. If you are on a band (such as 20M) where there is the possibility of working other countries you need to know which countries are allowed or else just handle all the DX contacts yourself. http://www.arrl.org/third-party-operating-agreements

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »

This is a case where semantics are important.

What matters is who is the control operator. That's the person responsible, even if someone else does all the talking, button pushing, etc. If you let an unlicensed person "use" your radio, they are not "operating" in the strict sense; they're just "participating", and YOU are the control operator.

What this means in real life is that YOU are responsible for what goes on, and must be "in charge" of the operation. You can't give an HT to an unlicensed person to use and then walk away.

Also, note that such communication is considered "third party" communications. Most countries outside the USA do not permit "third party" communication with hams of other countries - a few do. What this means is that it may not be legal to let an unlicensed person work DX even if you're right there.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: