Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General to Extra Class: where to start  (Read 9209 times)
N5GZH

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:39:47 AM »

I've been a licensed General Class operator since way before the code requirement was changed and would like to upgrade to Extra Class. 

What is the best way to prepare for the Extra Class exam while spending a minimum of $$ on study materials?  Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Fisher
N5GZH
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:09 AM »

Being a General that long you already know more than most of the recent day Extras and you have already paid for an upgrade course, Just review [Ham Exams] here under eHam RESOURCES. You will have no problem passing.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:44:36 AM »

The entire Extra Class question pool can be found here: http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=356. You have your choice of downloading it in DOC, TXT and PDF format.

Also, the Gordon West WB6NOA books come highly recommended. The study guide is available as a book by itself or with a CD that includes interactive test software. Several people have it, but you best bet might be to buy it from Amazon.

OK, so the book + CD package is $35. But here's what I did after I passed my Extra back in the dark ages... I brought my book to the test session and after I passed, I gave the book to the someone I knew that just passed their Advanced test. Of course there are no more new Advanced Class licenses being issued, so you can pass it along to someone who just passed their General. I think the kids today call that "paying it forward". In my day, we just called that being nice!

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »

I've been a licensed General Class operator since way before the code requirement was changed and would like to upgrade to Extra Class. 

What is the best way to prepare for the Extra Class exam while spending a minimum of $$ on study materials?  Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Fisher
N5GZH

Buy the manual and start studying it!....and then take the practice tests on qrz.com....

V
KA3NRX
soon to be K3NRX
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:51:32 AM »

Jim, when I renewed my ARRL membership I got the Extra Q&A book as my freebie, so I could pass it on to someone wanting to upgrade. If you think you would use it, let me know and I'll send it to you. No charge.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-s-Extra-Q-and-A-3rd-Edition/

Steve

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »

I'm going to combine some of these answers. But it really all depends on what you already know.

If you are comfortable with all of the technical details, you can probably get by with just downloading the question pool and brushing up on the rules and regulations. That's the free approach.

If you are less-technically oriented, then you should probably get one of the study guides and learn the material.

Perhaps the best way to figure out where you are at is to download the question pool, and read through all of the questions one by one. After each question, your response will likely be one of the following:

- I knew that!
- I didn't know that, but I just learned something.
- I wonder why that's the answer.

If almost all of your answers are in the first category, then you are probably ready for the test.
If almost all of your answers are in the first or second category, study the question pool itself.
If a significant fraction (say 20%) are in the third category, get a study guide and learn why.

Regardless of which category you are in, use the online practice tests (here and elsewhere) until you can consistently score above 80%.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »

Thanks all for great suggestions.   I have a pretty good foundation in basic electronics from years back and working as a tech on analog HF.  But I'm probably weak on much of the newer digital stuff.

Just need to get up off my lazy butt now and start studying.   Wink

Jim
N5GZH

WA2NOJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

Go to http://www.nc4fb.org/wordpress/amateur-extra-license-2012-2016/
Has everything you need, and is free. 
Good luck
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »

Fastest and easiest with an absolute guarantee of passing is to get HamTestOnline program.   Get the program today and pass it this weekend. 

Grin
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »

Fastest and easiest with an absolute guarantee of passing is to get HamTestOnline program.   Get the program today and pass it this weekend. 

Grin

I used Ham Test Online to pass my Tech and General and am using it to study for my Extra, I highly recommend there program
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »

Thanks all for great suggestions.   I have a pretty good foundation in basic electronics from years back and working as a tech on analog HF.  But I'm probably weak on much of the newer digital stuff.

Just need to get up off my lazy butt now and start studying.   Wink

Jim
N5GZH

I would hazard a guess and state that your background puts you well ahead of the game in upgradeing. As to the number of questions on the test involving digital stuff there are probably not enough of them to prevent you from passing. Try taking some of the sample tests  here and at QRZ and see how you do.  If you can consistently score an 85+ on numerous attempts then contact a VE team and upgrade.

Good Luck!!

Wayne C.
WV4L
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

When I went to take my tests, I decided to go for broke and studied for the tech and general. I passed both, and then the guy was like "you wanna try for the extra?" I was like but I didn't study, he said who cares? No punishment if you fail and you paid your 15 dollars, so take all 3, and I did! I missed half, but not bad considering I didn't study. But like he said, you got to see the test! And that is true!
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »

I am also going to take the Extra test this year. I have started with www.hamstudy.org. I used Gordon West's book to study for the General. I ordered his Extra book with practice test software yesterday.

AD0FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

+1 on the Gorden West Extra Study Guide.  Mine became a bit dog eared as I worked through the material.  I used hamtestonline.org prep the questions.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, I also found the study app "Ham Radio Exam" by Roy Watson excellent.  Its free and very easy to use.

Good luck!

NZ9C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »

Any resource that not only gives practice exams, but an explanation of the correct answer.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: