Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA and Antenna - What do you think?  (Read 22455 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »

The fines are another issue to consider. If they can keep accessing you fines, and perhaps interest, when the amount builds up to something significant they then file a lean against your property. Whenever the property is sold then they will get their money.
KG7IEJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »

Nah it is just a one time thing. Get fined $25 have 2 weeks to pay then it goes to $50 if you don't pay, then it goes back to $0 when you pay.
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 06:49:46 AM »

The neighbor I talked to about the large TV antenna said to just tell them it is a TV antenna lol.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

KG7IEJ

That's what I was thinking all along. They won't know what it is, tell them it's a TV antenna and you're done. Screw HOA's. I can't believe they are legal.
KG7IEJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »

That's what I was thinking all along. They won't know what it is, tell them it's a TV antenna and you're done. Screw HOA's. I can't believe they are legal.

Yeah this is the first and last HOA I will be a part of.
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »

are you kidding ? Sell and move to a Rural area ,safer , cleaner and very few Ahole HOAs ! hihi
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 06:31:43 AM »

are you kidding ? Sell and move to a Rural area ,safer , cleaner and very few Ahole HOAs ! hihi

Don't even need to move to a rural area to avoid HOA's and CC&R's...  Many, many, many cities where HOA's are not the norm.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:33 AM »

If a lot of folks have TV antennas, you might just put up your antenna and not say anything about it.

However:

1) Do a neat, workmanlike job of it.

2) Be aware that the OTARD ruling that permits TV antennas and satellite dishes does NOT apply to ham radio antennas.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »

"Many, many, many cities where HOA's are not the norm"

In many of them jobs are not the norm either  Embarrassed
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »

"Many, many, many cities where HOA's are not the norm"

In many of them jobs are not the norm either  Embarrassed

Hardly.

Those who think so haven't left their backyard for any appreciable time.  In fact, cities where HOA's and CC&R's are common are in fact, a minority of cities.  For example, I cannot name a single city in Western and Central NY where HOA's are the norm.

Now, there are some states where they are.  Florida comes to mind.  There's reasons behind that, but I'd have to delve into the politics of the regions.  Specifically, if you look at the political leanings of those in power in those states, you'll note a trend.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »

Try D.C., Northern VA, PA, MD, FL, and AZ for a few examples. There are very few areas developed in the last 20 years that don't have an HOA and CC&Rs. I guess you haven't been out of your area in quite a few years  Wink

KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 04:10:08 AM »

Try D.C., Northern VA, PA, MD, FL, and AZ for a few examples. There are very few areas developed in the last 20 years that don't have an HOA and CC&Rs. I guess you haven't been out of your area in quite a few years  Wink

Most of this nation's cities were not developed in the past 20 years...  Again, as an example, I cannot think of a single community in NY state, this side of Albany (Albany to PA), where HOA's and CC&R's are the norm.  I'll hazard the same goes on the other side of Albany.

But, yeah, I suppose if you want a suburban McMansion, in a new development, where every house is painted the same, and every house looks identical...  Well, now you're looking specifically for an HOA governed place.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:36 AM »

Most of this nation's cities were not developed in the past 20 years...  Again, as an example, I cannot think of a single community in NY state, this side of Albany (Albany to PA), where HOA's and CC&R's are the norm.  I'll hazard the same goes on the other side of Albany.

Kenmore has tried some odd stuff.

Here's the thing about much of the rest of the USA: It really has developed in the past 40 years.

Sure, the cities and towns were there more than 40 years ago. But then, starting in the 1960s-70s, they began to grow rapidly. This happened in parts of the South and Southwest in particular, as large numbers of Americans moved there.

And that growth coincided with the rapid deployment of cable TV. The cable TV folks worked with developers to pre-wire new developments for cable - and to have no-antennas CC&Rs as part of the boilerplate.

End result is a lot of homes with CC&Rs.

I used to live in WNY - great place. The first house I ever owned was 375 West Main Street, Palmyra NY. House is over 100 years old now, and looks to be in good shape. No CC&Rs, no restrictions on antennas, good solid house. Owned 46 feet of the original Erie Canal - now it's a park.

But, sadly, much of the rest of the USA is not like WNY.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »

It is crazy. I live just to the north of a small community with many good jobs that is just to the north of Nashville. Though this is a small community, < 10,000, all but the oldest houses come with CC&R antenna restrictions.

I live in a rural area in a home done by an independent builder. The developer homes in the area all have anti-antenna clauses. Though distance to work is not a problem, I pay a price for antennas. No cable service, no internet except for expensive satellite connection. Even dialup doesn't work well in my area. Phone lines to ancient and noisy, but at least I can have antennas and I am only 5 miles to work.

When I was with Compuserve/AOL near Columbus, OH, I had to live 35 miles from work to find an affordable home that didn't have antenna restrictions. Columbus being a fast growing University town. HOA, CC&R and unbelievable local rules. No cars in driveway for more than 2 hours, no open and unattended garage doors, no bsketball hoops on driveways or on other paved areas with street access. This was for "Safety", and "Crime Prevention".

What a mess when everyone tries to regulate everything!

KF7CG
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

Kenmore has tried some odd stuff.

Tried and done, I suppose.  There may be one-off HOA's, but they are not the norm.

Here's the thing about much of the rest of the USA: It really has developed in the past 40 years.

Sure, the cities and towns were there more than 40 years ago. But then, starting in the 1960s-70s, they began to grow rapidly. This happened in parts of the South and Southwest in particular, as large numbers of Americans moved there.

And that growth coincided with the rapid deployment of cable TV. The cable TV folks worked with developers to pre-wire new developments for cable - and to have no-antennas CC&Rs as part of the boilerplate.

End result is a lot of homes with CC&Rs.

The vast majority of people still live in those cities.  And, the second largest swath lives in rural areas.  The next runner up (And very far away from being "most", or "majority") lives in those suburban areas where HOA's are normative.

I used to live in WNY - great place. The first house I ever owned was 375 West Main Street, Palmyra NY. House is over 100 years old now, and looks to be in good shape. No CC&Rs, no restrictions on antennas, good solid house. Owned 46 feet of the original Erie Canal - now it's a park.

But, sadly, much of the rest of the USA is not like WNY.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Sounds like hams need to start moving the WNY, since it's the last bastion against HOA's and CC&R's then.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »

Tried and done, I suppose.  There may be one-off HOA's, but they are not the norm.

Kenmore proposed a rule that ALL ham radio antennas would need a permit. Permit would cost $1000.

The vast majority of people still live in those cities.  And, the second largest swath lives in rural areas.  The next runner up (And very far away from being "most", or "majority") lives in those suburban areas where HOA's are normative.

The point is that more and more homes where hams live have antenna restrictions of various kinds.

Sounds like hams need to start moving the WNY, since it's the last bastion against HOA's and CC&R's then.

Think about why they don't.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: