Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA and Antenna - What do you think?  (Read 25849 times)
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »

"Many, many, many cities where HOA's are not the norm"

In many of them jobs are not the norm either  Embarrassed

Hardly.

Those who think so haven't left their backyard for any appreciable time.  In fact, cities where HOA's and CC&R's are common are in fact, a minority of cities.  For example, I cannot name a single city in Western and Central NY where HOA's are the norm.

Now, there are some states where they are.  Florida comes to mind.  There's reasons behind that, but I'd have to delve into the politics of the regions.  Specifically, if you look at the political leanings of those in power in those states, you'll note a trend.

North Western and Central New York does not have a hotbed of tech jobs. I guess it's good if you are retired. Unfortunately a lot of hams have to live where the jobs are.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »

Tried and done, I suppose.  There may be one-off HOA's, but they are not the norm.

Kenmore proposed a rule that ALL ham radio antennas would need a permit. Permit would cost $1000.

Proposed, and never passed.

The vast majority of people still live in those cities.  And, the second largest swath lives in rural areas.  The next runner up (And very far away from being "most", or "majority") lives in those suburban areas where HOA's are normative.

The point is that more and more homes where hams live have antenna restrictions of various kinds.

Wrong.  The vast majority of people live in rural areas, and in cities without HOA's.  Those who CHOOSE to live in HOA areas are the minority.

Sounds like hams need to start moving the WNY, since it's the last bastion against HOA's and CC&R's then.

Think about why they don't.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Can't think of a reason not to move to NY...
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

In many of them jobs are not the norm either  Embarrassed

Hardly.

Those who think so haven't left their backyard for any appreciable time.  In fact, cities where HOA's and CC&R's are common are in fact, a minority of cities.  For example, I cannot name a single city in Western and Central NY where HOA's are the norm.

Now, there are some states where they are.  Florida comes to mind.  There's reasons behind that, but I'd have to delve into the politics of the regions.  Specifically, if you look at the political leanings of those in power in those states, you'll note a trend.

North Western and Central New York does not have a hotbed of tech jobs. I guess it's good if you are retired. Unfortunately a lot of hams have to live where the jobs are.

It's amazing what I learn about the region I live in...

I wonder, how, pray tell, I am able to work for any number of places as a systems administrator here in WNY, and have yet to be unemployed over the past decade or so of my professional career...

I must inform Z80 labs that they are set up in the wrong place:  We don't have a hotbed of tech jobs here!  Calspan, DRS Optronics, and Wilson Greatbatch need to leave immediately, since there's no hotbed of tech jobs.  Verizon and Yahoo! are lost, building their datacenters here.

Is there anything else about my region and career field I need to know about?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »

It is amazing how much is wrong with your area that you can learn from people who don't live there! Wink
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »

Tried and done, I suppose.  There may be one-off HOA's, but they are not the norm.

Kenmore proposed a rule that ALL ham radio antennas would need a permit. Permit would cost $1000.

The vast majority of people still live in those cities.  And, the second largest swath lives in rural areas.  The next runner up (And very far away from being "most", or "majority") lives in those suburban areas where HOA's are normative.

The point is that more and more homes where hams live have antenna restrictions of various kinds.

Wrong.  The vast majority of people live in rural areas, and in cities without HOA's.  Those who CHOOSE to live in HOA areas are the minority.

Sounds like hams need to start moving the WNY, since it's the last bastion against HOA's and CC&R's then.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh boy do you have a lot to learn. I can give you a host of reasons why not to move to New York. I guess you would enjoy living in a state with some of the highest taxes in the country and has a Governor who thinks he is God. I live in New York and just can't wait until retirement to get out of here. The only thing keeping me here is my job (which I enjoy very much). If the economy was better and I was certain I could transfer somewhere else, I would put the house up for sale tomorrow. I have 6 more years and I am out of here.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »

Hardly.

Those who think so haven't left their backyard for any appreciable time.  In fact, cities where HOA's and CC&R's are common are in fact, a minority of cities.  For example, I cannot name a single city in Western and Central NY where HOA's are the norm.

Now, there are some states where they are.  Florida comes to mind.  There's reasons behind that, but I'd have to delve into the politics of the regions.  Specifically, if you look at the political leanings of those in power in those states, you'll note a trend.

I wonder, how, pray tell, I am able to work for any number of places as a systems administrator here in WNY, and have yet to be unemployed over the past decade or so of my professional career...

I must inform Z80 labs that they are set up in the wrong place:  We don't have a hotbed of tech jobs here!  Calspan, DRS Optronics, and Wilson Greatbatch need to leave immediately, since there's no hotbed of tech jobs.  Verizon and Yahoo! are lost, building their datacenters here.

The job market may be good around Buffalo but it is not so healthy around the rest of the state.

In the following report note the decline of Manufacturing jobs (the highest source of tech jobs) in Upstate New York during the last decade.

http://labor.ny.gov/stats/PDFs/NYS-Decade-in-Review-Appendix-C.pdf

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »

whine...whine...whine
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »

I agree.  That's exactly what AC7DX is doing.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »

Hardly.

The job market may be good around Buffalo but it is not so healthy around the rest of the state.

In the following report note the decline of Manufacturing jobs (the highest source of tech jobs) in Upstate New York during the last decade.

http://labor.ny.gov/stats/PDFs/NYS-Decade-in-Review-Appendix-C.pdf

Looks like all of the urban areas are doing fine, by and large.  It's mostly the rural areas that aren't doing...  Must be something to do with their mode of economic thought :smirk:

PS:  Manufacturing isn't the largest source of tech jobs...  Tech industry is the largest source of tech jobs.
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 04:05:13 PM »

73 de Jim, N2EY

Oh boy do you have a lot to learn. I can give you a host of reasons why not to move to New York. I guess you would enjoy living in a state with some of the highest taxes in the country and has a Governor who thinks he is God. I live in New York and just can't wait until retirement to get out of here. The only thing keeping me here is my job (which I enjoy very much). If the economy was better and I was certain I could transfer somewhere else, I would put the house up for sale tomorrow. I have 6 more years and I am out of here.

Which taxes?  My sales tax is slightly higher most counties in Texas (It's 9%, whereas Texas is 8.25%).  My property tax bill this year was $800.  My income tax is maybe the highest, but I've never had an income tax bill at the state level over 2 grand.

Not sure what you mean about "The governor thinks he's god".  Perhaps you can elaborate?

If you don't like where you live, chances are you wont like the place you move to.

As for the economy, it's doing quite well here in NYS.  My house has been increasing in value year-over-year since purchase.  Jobs are plentiful in the right industry.  Unless you mean the economy in every other state in the union is worse than NYS?  If so, why move out then?  We must be doing something right here.

Why wait 6 years?  Move, buy a new house, and rent out your current one.  The job market is so much better everywhere else, it should be a breeze to do.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »

You guys are nuts, just move to Maine anywhere except the Portland area and put up any kind of antenna anywhere you want. Wink
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:39 AM »

73 de Jim, N2EY

Which taxes?  My sales tax is slightly higher most counties in Texas (It's 9%, whereas Texas is 8.25%).  My property tax bill this year was $800.  My income tax is maybe the highest, but I've never had an income tax bill at the state level over 2 grand.

Not sure what you mean about "The governor thinks he's god".  Perhaps you can elaborate?

If you don't like where you live, chances are you wont like the place you move to.

As for the economy, it's doing quite well here in NYS.  My house has been increasing in value year-over-year since purchase.  Jobs are plentiful in the right industry.  Unless you mean the economy in every other state in the union is worse than NYS?  If so, why move out then?  We must be doing something right here.

Why wait 6 years?  Move, buy a new house, and rent out your current one.  The job market is so much better everywhere else, it should be a breeze to do.

I do sales and marketing for rf and microwave test equipment. Unfortunately because of our liberal president we are not spending on defense therefore business is better in the commercial electronic sector. Because the aerospace and defense market is not doing well a move for me would not be wise. Where I am not the commercial or not A&D market is holding it's own. As a degreed electrical engineer, the job market is limited in NYS as manufacturing and R&D have pretty much left. There are some pockets left but they are sporadic. Remember the computer industry is not the only source of high tech jobs.

My comment about our Governor is based on his liberal willingness to relieve us of our constitutional rights.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »

73 de Jim, N2EY

I do sales and marketing for rf and microwave test equipment. Unfortunately because of our liberal president we are not spending on defense therefore business is better in the commercial electronic sector. Because the aerospace and defense market is not doing well a move for me would not be wise. Where I am not the commercial or not A&D market is holding it's own. As a degreed electrical engineer, the job market is limited in NYS as manufacturing and R&D have pretty much left. There are some pockets left but they are sporadic. Remember the computer industry is not the only source of high tech jobs.

My comment about our Governor is based on his liberal willingness to relieve us of our constitutional rights.

So, you're complaining about your job prospects, because our current president is reducing spending?  Go into the commercial sector then.  If you feel the R&D prospects suck in NYS, you're not looking hard enough.  There are two huge R&D firms in WNY going on a hiring spree, that is projected to last at least until 2019.

And, I never said IS&T is the only source of high tech jobs, I said it's the largest.  So, I could even suggest re-tooling yourself to stay competitive in today's market place?  Or, up and move to one of those great states out there where manufacturing and R&D are huge.

Still not following you about the governor...  What rights has he taken away from you?
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »

So, you're complaining about your job prospects, because our current president is reducing spending?  Go into the commercial sector then.  If you feel the R&D prospects suck in NYS, you're not looking hard enough.  There are two huge R&D firms in WNY going on a hiring spree, that is projected to last at least until 2019.

And, I never said IS&T is the only source of high tech jobs, I said it's the largest.  So, I could even suggest re-tooling yourself to stay competitive in today's market place?  Or, up and move to one of those great states out there where manufacturing and R&D are huge.

Still not following you about the governor...  What rights has he taken away from you?

No I am not complaining about job prospects. Read back a few posts. I said I am going to retire in about 5 or 6 years and can't wait to get out of New York. Maybe it's better in your section of New York but where I live in New York I pay $15K/year property taxes, have the highest utility rates in the nation, 8.75% sales tax and what I consider a high state tax (these are only a few of the many reasons I can give for not wanting to live here as I mentioned in a previous post). Good ole Andy Coumo said he was going to start to remedy this but all he has done is facilitate the turning over of LIPA to PSEG who wants to build another power plant in Yapank that will cost rate payers $3B and taken away my rights as a gun owner. At least in New Jersey, Christy is trying to get his constituents some property tax relief, but the again he is not a bleeding heart liberal. The once great state of New York is going down the crapper and the liberal politicians running the state are accelerating the rate at which it is declining. Again, if the economy was better I would transfer in a heartbeat but I am not a gambler and have a good job here, so I will wait out the 5 years and get the heck out of here.

It would be nice to stay and retire close to our family but even with the star program my property taxes will be well over $10K by the time I retire and with utilities set to increase big time to pay for the proposed new power plant (we are still reeling from the screwing we took over the Shoreham power plant by good ole Andy's dad Mario) there are precious few who can afford to retire here. So for me I can't wait to bid New York adios.........

Thank you to all for letting me rant and I sincerely apologize for getting far off topic.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:56:46 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »

The political crappola is almost as bad as the code/no code crappola.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: