Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age limit on a HAM licence?  (Read 6136 times)
KE5TJT

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »

Is it true that if, in theory, an 8 year old can pass the test they can legally use Ham radio, but their adult parent who never took any exam, cannot? Or you must be 18?
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

Is it true that if, in theory, an 8 year old can pass the test they can legally use Ham radio, but their adult parent who never took any exam, cannot? Or you must be 18?

There's no age limit, upper or lower, for amateur radio licenses.  The only age-related limit I know of in the hobby is that volunteer examiners must be at least 18.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

That's correct.

Only the holder of an Amateur Radio License can operate a ham radio transmitter (anyone can use a receiver), and there is no minimum age requirement for holding such a license.

So, as you say, a minor child who holds a license can "use ham radio" but his/her unlicensed adult parent(s) cannot.

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »

That's correct.

Only the holder of an Amateur Radio License can operate a ham radio transmitter (anyone can use a receiver), and there is no minimum age requirement for holding such a license.

So, as you say, a minor child who holds a license can "use ham radio" but his/her unlicensed adult parent(s) cannot.

Yes they can, if the licensed child is there as a control operator, and they follow the rules of 3rd party traffic.

73 John AF5CC
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:31 AM »

Yes they can, if the licensed child is there as a control operator, and they follow the rules of 3rd party traffic.

put another way, the parents of a child who is a licensed ham have no special radio privileges.   as a licensed ham, the kid can allow them (or anyone else) to operate his or her station as long as the kid is in charge of said station  Wink
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »

That's correct.

73 John AF5CC

Yes, John, that's correct.
But it think the OP had in mind the parents "using ham radio" on their own.
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:43:29 AM »

in a way it is like a minor who has a pilot license: his or her parents cannot independently fly airplanes just because their kid can.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »

In the USA, there has never been an age limit for any class of amateur radio license. I think the youngest licensed amateur was 5 when the license was issued.

Back in the 1990s, an 8 year old passed all the exams for Extra, and earned that license while in the third grade. All 5 written exams and 20 wpm Morse Code.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KK6FEO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »

My son, KK6FBI took and passed his Technician class exam at age 8. 
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »

For what it's worth, I got my Amateur Extra in high school, but had to wait until my 18th birthday to obtain VE accreditation. Why? Minors can't enter contractual agreements with private entities.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:26 AM »

Lower Limit:  Able to pass the exam, regardless of whether they fully comprehend the the questions or the answers.

Upper Limit:  Having not yet achieved room temperature.

Don, K2DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: