The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM Radio IS Dead in Los Angeles  (Read 41297 times)
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »

Yeah, repeaters are boring.  I tried to take part in some nets but sitting there listening to "no traffic" dozens of times, waiting for my call to come up, was about as fun as watching paint dry.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »

Yes....very true....repeaters can be very boring.  In many cases repeaters are under utilized.  But it doesn't have to be this way.  Have any of you "bored" people ever tried to initialize a conversation?  Doesn't anyone ever have a "problem" that they would like to discuss or working on a project that you would like to talk about?

If you can't get a response on that repeater (more than one try - Different times of the day) then move to another repeater. 

BTW, as an aside, this is why I always recommend to a "newbie" not to put your available money into V/UHF gear while getting started in ham radio.

A repeater is just that.  You don't put anything into it, nothing comes out!
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »

The PAPA D-star system seems fairly active. It uses reflector 12-A for linking, so anyone can link up. Much of it is the same few people, but that's the case with most repeaters these days.

I think what killed off repeaters was the cheap, small HF mobile radios, and the end of the morse code requirement for HF privileges. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy I didn't have to pass a code test (and I tried a few times) to upgrade, but when I was a technician only I had a lot more motivation to be on local (and sometimes not so local) repeaters. Since getting my General and Extra class license I've been focused more on HF (and finding it somewhat lacking). Given only so many hours in a day VHF and above has taken a back seat, but recently I've renewed my interest in VHF+ bands. There's a lot going on that doesn't get much attention (and much of the attention it does get is negative in the case of new digital modes) that holds my interest far more than a 5-9 report from a KW station working a pileup.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »

JEG:  I've given your comments a lot of thought and reflection based on the ham activities around here, both repeater and HF operation.  I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

In recent years the number of hams has increased dramatically.  Again, based on local activity and not official numbers, it seems the licensee increase has been in the Tech category.  Most have moved from the 11m band to 2m FM.  Initially there is a flurry of activity from this group and then, and here I'm guessing, most find a more regimented method of communication compared to the rollicking banter on CB and become bored.  Then you hear less and less from them.

Very few upgrade.  Down through the years I've asked casual questions about their interests, eventually getting around to their interests in ham radio and I've found that very few actually DO anything except listen or talk on their VHF HT.

I've found that the most active on 2m are those who upgraded and are active on HF, community service, etc.  These are the ones that have something to talk about!  You'll find these gravitating to 2m to find the old timers who can answer questions and help them and actually are making an effort to integrate.  However, these are few and far between. 

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: