Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A neat idea for an external radio for newer vehicles  (Read 1784 times)
KE5TJT

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »

I just discovered this, and while someone else might know about it, I thought it was so neat I just had to tell someone!

I'm installing my little 2m rig in my Ford Fiesta. This car comes with, from the factory, an aux-in input jack that is just a 3.5mm headphone jack. Well, low and behold, the radio has an external speaker jack. Well, I just tried it without an antenna hooked up (as I don't have one yet) and it works beautifully! The audio plays through the installed car stereo, so no wires are needed other than a short wire to go from the sp-out jack to the audio in. The audio is crystal clear and volume can be adjusted either on the radio or on the vehicle stereo.

So try this if you can, it beats any aftermarket speakers you can buy!
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »

Yes, it will work, but be careful as many of those inputs in vehicles are line level inputs.  If the volume control on your 2m radio is cranked up too high, you can easily exceed what the vehicle input can tolerate.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »

You might get by using FM, but using car audio on SSB becomes intolerable very quickly due to the high background hiss level.

KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:55:45 PM »

Update on this: Installed with antenna and VSWR's tuned to acceptable, but not great, standards. Audio is clear through car stereo. Anyone want to see my installation?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »

Yes, it will work, but be careful as many of those inputs in vehicles are line level inputs.  If the volume control on your 2m radio is cranked up too high, you can easily exceed what the vehicle input can tolerate.

It'll be fine in this case. The Aux in jack on the Fiesta and other Fords is designed to take an input from your iPod, smartphone or other media player.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »

If you have more than one mobile in your vehicle, check out Page 68 of the November 2013 issue of QST...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: