Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help South Pole Digital Modes Remote  (Read 5639 times)
EL2JM

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »

Hi KC4AAA at the South Pole.  We need some help getting up on the digital modes like RTTY and PSK-31.
Our set up has the radio equipment located about 1KM from the Station to keep RF out of the Telescopes. 
Using a KNWD 480, private lan fiber connection to radio.  Computer is an older model HP running XP.  Along with the rig
we remote control both an Alpha 87 amp and an Ameritron remote antenna switch.  We have Ham Radio Delux (HRD)installed
on the computer running the remote program (not sure of the version, but its the remote software sold by KNWD for the 480)  We use other software for the Alpha and the Ameritron SW.  We can't get the audio from  HRD to transmit through the radio, or get the receive audio into HRD software to decode.  Could it be the soundcard will not handle
both audio from the radio and HRD at the same time?  Anyone else had this problem and can give us a hand?
We really would like to get on the Digital modes and work a few new ones.  Thank you in advance.
KC4AAA / W5FJG
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:14:54 AM »

Could it be the soundcard will not handle both audio from the radio and HRD at the same time?

That is likely the (or at least a) problem. Usually only one program running at a time can access the sound card, making it unavailable to other programs. Maybe you can disable the audio on the remoting program; you won't need it for digital modes if you can see the waterfall.

Looking forward to working you. Please save some time for us little (100 watts) pistols.

Tony
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »

Check the Windows volume control panel and make sure the input and the output media device(s) are all enabled.
I don't think one program can take over the sound card.
Your post is inspiring me to get a PSK31 capability just to work you down at the South Pole.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »

I don't think one program can take over the sound card.

I've seen a "sound card in use" error message on some programs when trying to access a sound card that is being used by another running program.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »

How are you presently getting audio to and from the rig?
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »

When I am using Remote Desktop Connection, I have to leave the audio at the remote computer (the one connected to the radio) or it won't work. Other remote programs should have a similar option. If you are hearing the audio at your location (the one not connected to the radio) then the audio is not going into the rig.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:01:52 PM by N2CJ » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »

It would be helpful to know the remote scheme in question.

The Kenwood ARCP-480 remote control software does not appear to support audio transfer, only radio commands, so there must be some other mechanism in play to send and receive the audio between the remote and control site. What is it?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »

What became of this? Curious minds, and all..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: