Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow Speeds  (Read 6885 times)
VK6IS

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2014, 03:39:02 AM »

whilst tuning about the lower 50Khz of any band,
 there is some CW to be found.

But, where is some slow CW ?
say, around   =< 20wpm?.

most of it seems to be much faster,
& I'd suspect that it is  kbd <-> kbd  type  CW

where have you found some?.
  Huh
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:03:29 AM »

Slower CW is very regionally distributed. Over in North America they'll point at a section of 40 metres (around 7.110 IIRC), but it'll likely be no use to you, any more than it's any use to me. Over here there's a patch of 80 metres (around 3.555) that sometimes gets slower code, but that won't be any use to you either. Otherwise, you can listen around the FISTS frequencies, or make your own by calling CQ somewhere near one or other of the QRS centres of activity.

It might be worth looking at reversebeacon.net, though there aren't that many skimmers active round your side of the world, so it may not be much help. It does, however, report the speeds used.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:47:39 AM »

In the USA, CW Elmers (SKCC) can be found between 7110 and 7120. Those QSOs are often quite slow and at least half of the conversation -- from the Elmer -- is very well-formed CW. Trouble is, that's not terribly helpful from your perspective in VK-land. Perhaps you have a regional equivalent?

You didn't say why you're interested in slower CW, but presumably it's because you're a beginner in Morse. I'm learning too, and monitor a lot of CW on the air. I have heard many QSOs where the experienced OP slows down for a beginner, either spontaneously or after a QRS request.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »

IS: In the military we had something called "Search Mode."  If an operator was assigned "Search Mode" (which truly was the most boring assignment we could have received) our job was to simply search for certain signals.  Nothing else.  One specific type of signal.

What made it so bad we were assigned several megacycles (back then) to search which took quite a bit of time.

On the ham bands, searching for a specific type of signal, in your case slow CW, is confined to a very small area of each band.  Each time the band is open you should be able to find where the slow-coders congregate pretty quick.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »

You didn't say why you're interested in slower CW, but presumably it's because you're a beginner in Morse. I'm learning too, and monitor a lot of CW on the air. I have heard many QSOs where the experienced OP slows down for a beginner, either spontaneously or after a QRS request.    

- after a period of CW inactivity, - it's a 'renewed interest'  Grin

did find this site:
http://vkcwbeginners.net/

but it's primarily used on the east coast of VK.

looking around, there is some activity on most bands,
but the speed is a bit fast for my 'renewed level'.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:44:47 AM by VK6IS » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »

whilst tuning about the lower 50Khz of any band,
 there is some CW to be found.

But, where is some slow CW ?
say, around   =< 20wpm?.

most of it seems to be much faster,
& I'd suspect that it is  kbd <-> kbd  type  CW

where have you found some?.
  Huh

Since this was posted during the ARRL CW DX Contest, I'm guessing that you may be encountering a lot of contest activity, which tends to be faster paced than normal. 
Chuck  NI0C
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »

If you can't find somebody at your preferred speed, call CQ.

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »

but it's primarily used on the east coast of VK.

Yeah, I visited Perth last Easter, and discovered that it does appear to be about as far from anywhere else as any city can possibly be; even some of the "local" VK6 contacts are hundreds of miles away, and parts of VK6 (as well as all the rest of VK) are firmly into DX territory, distance-wise. During the day 40 metres didn't even get half-way out of the State...
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

Try

www.fists.org

for their calling frequencies.

If you do slow CW, FISTS is a good group to join.

.            Charles
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »

Yeah, I visited Perth last Easter, and discovered that it does appear to be about as far from anywhere else as any city can possibly be; even some of the "local" VK6 contacts are hundreds of miles away, and parts of VK6 (as well as all the rest of VK) are firmly into DX territory, distance-wise. During the day 40 metres didn't even get half-way out of the State...

since it's like four times the size of Texas, & with enough room to fit the UK in as well,
- where else can you talk to someone who is 3000Km away & yet still in your state .. ..

www.fists.org
- their calling freq(s) apparently end in xx.058
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »

where else can you talk to someone who is 3000Km away & yet still in your state .. ..

Heh! Well, you have got near enough half a continent in it... Wink

www.fists.org
- their calling freq(s) apparently end in xx.058

Only on 20, 15, 10, 6 and 2 metres... but I guess you found their table, and the PDF also notes a few QRS centres of activity.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:03:32 AM »

- where else can you talk to someone who is 3000Km away & yet still in your state .. ..

Looking at a map, Canada, Brazil and Russia seem like good candidates

K4NL Sid
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:05:33 AM by LB3KB » Logged
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »

K4NL Sid

those three are an Entire Country -  Y'know .. ..
- not a State within that Country.

anyway's, I'll be listening on those xx.058 freq, for a while.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »

K4NL Sid

those three are an Entire Country -  Y'know .. ..
- not a State within that Country.

anyway's, I'll be listening on those xx.058 freq, for a while.

According to Wikipedia, "State commonly refers to [...] a governed entity (such as a country) or sub-entity [...]"

If you want to use a more precise definition of "state" you should be more precise.  As far as I am concerned, what you said becomes even less interesting that way.  It's like saying "where else can you communicate this long within the borders I am within".  I mean, come on - who gives a hoot ?

K4NL Sid
G3XLG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »

Hi
As others have said, FISTS is your best bet but I wonder if you realise there is an Australian & NZealand chapter who operate their own affiliated thing? Also an Asian chapter, North American Chapter and so on.
See here:
http://www.fistsdownunder.org/
By the way not all FIST frequencies are at 058 eg 40M is at 028, 30M is at 118 etc

73 de Ray, G3XLG Fists#15503
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: