Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting  (Read 16421 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »

Pierre,  give yourself points for doing what I recently did not:  Ask before jumping and so that you have requested  exchange information.   I thought I knew what I was hearing before calling, but did not and it's a bit embarrassing.

It has already been said (a few times), but it bears repeating...

Bookmark http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

This has a link to the basic rules and format for every contest listed. There is also a link to the contest sponsor's official rules.

The whole idea of a contest is to work as many stations as possible. With all due respect, answering a "CQ CONTEST" call without knowing the proper exchange is, well... umm... how can I say this politely... poor operating practice and wastes the other operator's time.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »

This has a link to the basic rules and format for every contest listed. There is also a link to the contest sponsor's official rules.

Thanks for the link.  The club's response to my email was most gracious and helpful.  But rest assured  I will do my homework in the future.
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »

...What's the Japanese contest where the op (except for YLs) gives his age?

That is the "All Asian DX Contest", includes Asiatic Russia too.

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestdetails.php?ref=102

I stumbled upon that contest and look it up on the net, when I realized what the exchange was, jumped in and had fun.  Wink

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »

The whole idea of a contest is to work as many stations as possible. With all due respect, answering a "CQ CONTEST" call without knowing the proper exchange is, well... umm... how can I say this politely... poor operating practice and wastes the other operator's time.

Many of us contesters, would be glad to help the newbie into the exchange.

In Sweepstakes, being able to walk a non-contester through the exchange late Sunday afternoon, is the key to getting QSO's that the less patient will not be able to make.

I know I've been helped several times. Almost every year in All Asian DX, my first QSO is with a JA, who gives me a two digit number, and I respond with serial 001. Then he reminds me the exchange is my age :-). At which point I pull out the calculator and give the right answer!

Tim.
AF4RK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »

I am an avid contester. Contests are a great way to get DXCC or WAS. However, when "newbies" call me during a contest, especially on CW, I work them quickly, politely and move on. I don't log the contact and I sure don't spend time trying to enlighten them on the rules during the contest. N0IU is right but no point in alienating people. There are many ways to learn about contesting on the air is not the right place or time. This might be a good addition to the "Code of Conduct". Learn about the contest before getting involved!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: