Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: License renewal  (Read 7710 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »

Greetings all:

Rather than simply asking on this forum about how to renew a license, I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure it out myself.  So far all I've been able to do is locate my FRS number and got a major headache. Since I forgot my password of 10 years ago, I've found it necessary to reset it.  It's my understanding that it will take up to 3 days for this to happen.

In the meantime, a buddy, whose ticket is due to be renewed shortly has asked me for help.  I've since found that I'm not as informed as he is!

Can someone walk me through the procedure for renewing a ticket? 

A specific question came up.... by buddy has a Form 603 (As I recall) and one of the boxes to be checked is the class of license he is renewing.  His licence class is Advanced.  There is no advanced box to be checked.  It jumps from General to Extra.

I appreciate any help you folks can supply.

Al - K8AXW
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »

Are you sure your friend is using the correct 605 form?  There are two:

1) The FCC 605 form, which is available here: 

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf

2) The NC605 form, which is used by volunteer examiners.  Don't use this form if you're filing for renewal directly with the FCC.  (The fact that you say the form jumps from General to Extra makes me think your friend is looking at the bottom half of the NC605.)

This FCC page tells you what you need to know about the various ways to renew: 

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

You can also file for renewal at a VE test session, but if you do, you'll need the NC605, not the FCC 605.  I don't know what other VECs do, but the ARRL VEC will do non-vanity license renewals for free for ARRL members, and charge a fee to non-members.  I don't know how many VE groups are aware that they can do renewals for hams who are not taking exams, so good luck with this approach.

Keeping your FCC ULS password in a safe place and renewing online is by far the easiest way to go.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:37:22 AM »

Step 1) Go to the ULS database and do a search for your license: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Step 2) When the next screen comes up with a match, click on your callsign.

Step 3) Write down the FRN Number. It is right above your name.

Step 4) Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and on the line that says ULS Online Systems, click on ULS Online Filing.

Step 5) Enter your FRN from Step 3 in the box that says FCC Registration Number. If you do not have your password, follow the instructions just below that box that says Forgot your password? and click on the link that says Contact Tech Support. Yes, this part can take a couple of days, but once you have it, write it down somewhere.

Step 6) Once you actually get to the ULS Online Filing, you will see where you can click the option to renew, but only if you are within the 90 day window. If you license has already expired but it has been less than 2 years, you can still renew your license without having to take  your tests all over again. But of course, you can not be on the air until your license renewal has been processed.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »

AF:  Astute observation OM!!  You're right!  Many thanks for your reply and info.

IU:  Many thanks for the step-by-step procedure.  I found the site for online renewal, etc., ran my call through it to experiment and was able to locate my FRN ID.  However, since the password record I made is long gone (It's no doubt in a very obvious place but I am no longer able to find anything their logical places) I had to do a password "reset."  I'm waiting for that now.

I did a search for my baddie's FRN number and found that and no doubt he'll have to do a password reset as well.

In the meantime, I'm going to copy and paste your reply to my buddy.  He's getting up there in years too and both of us has very little patience for wading through government mumbo-jumbo legalese.

Thank you both once again.  I appreciate the time you saved me.

Al - K8AXW
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Step 5) Enter your FRN from Step 3 in the box that says FCC Registration Number. If you do not have your password, follow the instructions just below that box that says Forgot your password? and click on the link that says Contact Tech Support. Yes, this part can take a couple of days, but once you have it, write it down somewhere.

Once you have renewed, the FCC will send you a new paper license in the mail in a day or two.

Sign it and hang it up proudly in your shack. But before you do, write down your FRN and password on the back. That way you'll know when its renewal time!

73 de Jim, N2EY

(just renewed)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »

Jim;  Very good idea..... after finding my FRN number online I decided to give my license holder a look and found that I had noted my FRN number on an envelope on the back of the holder. 

However, I apparently didn't have presence of mind to put my password below it!  (The envelope contains all of my old tickets)

Now I have to go down and take my license out of the holder and see if I noted the PW someplace on it! 

Oh rats!  Like Rosanna Danna Hanna used to say, "Neeever mind!"  I've already reset the password and this time I marked it down for when I have to renew when I'm 88 years old!
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »

Greetings all:

Rather than simply asking on this forum about how to renew a license, I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure it out myself.  So far all I've been able to do is locate my FRS number and got a major headache. Since I forgot my password of 10 years ago, I've found it necessary to reset it.  It's my understanding that it will take up to 3 days for this to happen.

In the meantime, a buddy, whose ticket is due to be renewed shortly has asked me for help.  I've since found that I'm not as informed as he is!

Can someone walk me through the procedure for renewing a ticket?  

A specific question came up.... by buddy has a Form 603 (As I recall) and one of the boxes to be checked is the class of license he is renewing.  His licence class is Advanced.  There is no advanced box to be checked.  It jumps from General to Extra.

I appreciate any help you folks can supply.

Al - K8AXW

Al, the FCC website is simple and free as long as you dont have a vanity. Otherwise, a few bucks. ($16 or so???) And they do it all online now, debit/credit etc. If its confusing, you can use a middle man like the W5YI, you can access them on your regular QRZ page. Go to your QRZ page, sign in, then under you call on the RH side, click on "edit K8AXW" and then you will see " Update the basic call-sign data (name, address, email, etc.) ", click on that option and then you will see an area in green that you cant change unless you click the button in the upper RH corner of the green section, an $8 fee applies plus the vanity call fee. If not a vanity, just the $8. They charge a small amount, but it in simple to do.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

Thanks to N2EY et. al. for the info.
Just renewed online... Even faster and easier than filing out and mailing a Form 605!

KB1LKR - Steve
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »

How long does it take if one renews through the ARRL?

I saw them at Dayton and they said it would be $21 to renew a vanity call. So the $21 was paid by Credit card and the ARRL said they will take care of it at Dayton and was just wondering how long the turnaround is. The renewal wasn't for me, it was for someone else with me.

Thanks in advance...

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »

pardon my sarcasm, but:
if it is happens as quickly as they send out ARRL renewal cards and offers to expired members, expect prompt action. 
if it takes as long as it does for them to modernize and improve LoTW, don't be in a hurry, it might take some time  Wink
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:40:31 AM »

pardon my sarcasm, but:
if it is happens as quickly as they send out ARRL renewal cards and offers to expired members, expect prompt action. 
if it takes as long as it does for them to modernize and improve LoTW, don't be in a hurry, it might take some time  Wink

I think it takes six weeks from joining the ARRL before getting the first issue of QST. I was hoping that the license renewal would be a bit faster..........

Still using Windows XP Pro.
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:19:52 AM »

GEEZZ, WHY NOT JUST GO TO FCC SITE AND RENEW.....FOR LAST COUPLE RENEWALS I DID AND GOSH, IT TOOK ALL OF 10 MINUTES AND WAS VERY EASY FOR A GRADE SCHOOL GRADUATE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: