Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When did Elmer die?  (Read 45317 times)
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »

In my experience (since the late 1950's) a club field day is often not a good place for a new ham (or new to CW) to be operating the radio. Too many people are all out to obtain a winning score for the club and they are easily upset if they think someone is not keeping up the QSO rate. I found field day much more enjoyable when a couple of friends and I used to set up a tent, generator, and a single radio. Zero pressure because none of us cared much about the score or QSO rate - we were just there to have fun. Took plenty of breaks. Shut down the station for meals and to get a decent night's sleep.

But Field Day isn't a "contest."  At least that's what everyone says.  I know that in my case, I really don't care much about where my club places in the scoring (and I'm the club President) but more whether everyone enjoyed the weekend and perhaps learned something new.

But there are clubs who do treat it as a contest.

The FD site I went to in 2013 was run by a club that didn't try to get into the high ratings, nor did they run it like a contest. I got on the air, made 8 contacts. I was a nervous wreck when I picked up the microphone, but I had fun.

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

Sometimes, I feel like the story should be "Who wants to kill Elmer?". Man, some of these new hams know it all... they think. Try to help them, Elmer gets crucified.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »

Sometimes, I feel like the story should be "Who wants to kill Elmer?". Man, some of these new hams know it all... they think. Try to help them, Elmer gets crucified.
I have been an EE for many years, yet I have learned never to give unsolicited advice. I hear bad advice given all the time, but there is always that "go-to" guy who knows the answer to every question-even if he has to make it up from pure fiction.

It's kinda funny in a way, but unfortunate for the guy who got the bad info. I once heard something so egregious told to a ham, that I felt compelled to interject myself into the conversation. Yup, it wasn't well received because the "authority" had already spoken on the matter.
It is what it is...

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

It's often human nature that the person asking for the advise already has his mind made up and just wants someone to validate the decision for him.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »

I don't find that to be the case at all. Most of the new hams I know are simply looking for a way to fit in to the mix. I am no brighter or smarter than any other ham, but I am smart enough to know to only give advice when asked for it and never interject for force advice or my opinion on anyone.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

Man cant believe someone jumped on you because you did not respond 'fast enough' to a field day call.

I think I would have gotten up, walked away, and never looked back except to say "Strike all my contacts from the log if you please".
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:50 PM »

i re,cently got back into this Fun Hobby, emphasis on Fun ! Anyways i do remember my 1st Field Day, the Mentor, (we did not have the term Elmer in those days, hihi I would have said Elmer who ? Fudd ? hihi, (in case you do not know from Bugs Bunny the goofy Farmer who tried to shoot Bugs with his Shot gun , goofy speech , like me when i wake up hihi ) Well to make a long story short, the members explained politely that they were competing and would give me some air time , but until i was up to speed the fast guys and gals would be leading the pack to the finish, and sooner or later they would take a break or get tired and i took my turns, it was fun setting up in the forest old building , even a Bat flew out of the Bathroom as we were setting up , will never forget ! hihi.
     It is all about Communication , which next time this Big Mouth says something to you , set his rear end ,(yah mouth), straight . I guess too many folks today want instant gratification , tell them they will have to get it somewhere else , and not on your Back!  hihi. 73s and Have Fun, this is a great Hobby with many nice people , AJ W5HEH
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »

Elmer felt he wasn't needed anymore, so he walked off into the sunset.
KQ0J

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

I would retort with " Where did the good students go? " as well...

I have had my fill with new hams that stick around with us old timers long enough to be given many hundreds of dollars of free gear , advice, time and help only to not ever get on the air ( or rarely)  and disappear from the airwaves soon thereafter ( take it to ebay and make some money boys ). 

Or the guys that want to learn CW and have a contact with you at 5 WPM to get their speed up but when you want to set up an actual date and time - they never have time, lost their key,  their Mother is in town, blah blah.....

Or the guys that cant seem to pick up a Ham radio book or do some basic research on their questions but pepper other ops with basic
questions they should have picked up when studying for their license.

The guys that show up on Field Day after all the work is done and then expect to expertly operate a HF rig in a operating event on 20M when all they have ever done is yak on a storm chasers net on their Wouxun HT. They their feeling are hurt when they jack up the rig settings and fail to log anything properly and someone has to replace them to fix what they messed up.

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »

I have had my fill with new hams that stick around with us old timers long enough to be given many hundreds of dollars of free gear ,

Man, hundreds of dollars worth of gear?  Shocked  I want to join YOUR club!  Grin

KQ0J

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 07:43:18 AM »

Yep!  Last guy was outfitted with a TS-830, new G5RV antenna, coax, speaker and other goodies.  Never heard from him again. On HF or on 2M where we had been talking regularly. 

This wasn't a club action specifically just a subgroup trying to help a new guy out.  And it wasnt a teenager in an apartment it was to a 40-50 year old married man with a house.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: