Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is AM activity  (Read 14741 times)
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »

If anyone wants lots of AM activity, just head to channel 6 AKA The Super Bowl but you'd better bring the Kw's...LOL!

That bit of joking aside, I tried calling CQ AM on the 20m AM frequency with my ICOM IC-7200 and got nowhere.  Reading some of the posts shows 15m will be a better bet until I get a tuner that can handle my 20m dipole so 10m can be used.   

The SSB/AM split in the CB radio community (such as it is) shows up on 11m too but at least there's a common agreement on which channels are SSB, which helps some.

At least finding the gear is easy and prices can be reasonable.  Oldies but goodies like the Siltronix 1011 series are around for the tubers.  "Export" radios are all over the place and some run well over 5 watts plus there's no shortage of little mobile linears to use with the lower powered ones.  You can get some which are AM/FM (no SSB) and do the upper part of 10m too.  Watch eBay and Craigslist for the uberdeals.

Rick

KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:41 AM »

CB ??
Never listen there personally .
 If you want to hear the former CBers there are plenty of them running SSB with  sloppily tuned amps on the ham bands now , thanks in large part to the no code movement . I would bet many of them still return to channel 6 from time to time . A radio "homecoming" of sorts .

With a couple exceptions , AM and SSB are legal wherever phone is permitted on the amateur radio spectrum .  It doesn't seem the OP was in the least interested in illegal CB operation . Not sure if we should encourage the use of non approved equipment on the CB band in any event .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:43:48 AM by KG8LB » Logged
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »

CB ??
Never listen there personally .
 If you want to hear the former CBers there are plenty of them running SSB with  sloppily tuned amps on the ham bands now , thanks in large part to the no code movement . I would bet many of them still return to channel 6 from time to time . A radio "homecoming" of sorts .

With a couple exceptions , AM and SSB are legal wherever phone is permitted on the amateur radio spectrum .  It doesn't seem the OP was in the least interested in illegal CB operation . Not sure if we should encourage the use of non approved equipment on the CB band in any event .

The point I was trying to make is that since 10m is big on AM compared to other bands is that the stuff used by the CB'ers for freebanding also has a good use for us on 10m since the radios were set up as 10m!  Compact powerful rigs and the ubiquitous 102" whip make for great mobile rigs.  Going QRP?  Then run the low powered ones inside the shack with a good antenna.  There's all the AM you could want!

Rick
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »

Got it .  A bit of ambiguity , thanks for the clarification .

There actually seems to be quite a bit of activity on 10 and 15 Meter AM .
W6MAU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 02:50:51 AM »

There is a lot of AM on 7.293 40 meters
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:46 AM »

In the midwest we generally use both 7290 and 7295 on 40 meters as primary AM freqs . It is not uncommon to have both occupied at the same time.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: