Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 478uc Prolific 2303 incompatibility problem  (Read 3871 times)
AI8O

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »

Undecided
I have an Icom v82 HT and a Kenwood TM G707A.

I have several different channel lists that I download into each when I go traveling.
Charlotte-columbia, Raleigh, Richmond Va, Asheville, etc.

I use a Win 7 laptop in virtual mode with Mcp7 to download the TM G707A.
The laptop does not have a db9 connector so I have to use a USB to db9 adapter that uses the prolific 2303 chipset.

To download to the V82,
I use the same laptop with the WIN7 version of CS82 software, and the 478 uc adapter cable.

When ever I  download to the TM G707A first, the data downloads with no problems. But afterwards when i try to download data to the V82 using the 478 uc, I get error messages telling me that the comport cannot be found. Going to DEVICE MANAGER and changing comports does not solve this problem, nor does changing comports with the CS V82 program.
I have to reinstall the 478uc driver and the CS V82 software.
Then the program works as it should.

The next time I download to the TM G707A my laptop's plug and play algorithm downloads the Prolific 2303 driver and this problem repeats.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make these two drivers quit knocking each other out?

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi!
WD4CHP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »

I had problems with prolific drivers.

I solved it by tossing all my prolific devices in the trash and bought FTDI devices.

No problems now.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »

Expand your knowledge and education about Prolific (Taiwan).
Their fatal mistake --
mainland China created hundreds of thousands of counterfeits of their 2303 series USB bridge chips!

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41
===
Warning Notice: Please be warned that counterfeit (fake) PL-2303HX (Chip Rev A) USB to Serial Controller ICs using Prolific's trademark logo, brandname, and device drivers, were being sold in the China market. Counterfeit IC products show exactly the same outside chip markings but generally are of poor quality and causes Windows driver compatibility issues (Yellow Mark Error Code 10 in Device Manager). We issue this warning to all our customers and consumers to avoid confusion and false purchase.

Please be warned that selling counterfeit products are illegal and punishable by civil and criminal courts according to the trademark, copyright, and intellectual properties laws and regulations. Prolific will take proper and severe actions to cease and confiscate these counterfeit products. Prolific also prohibits the distribution of any PL-2303 drivers (including download links) without written permission from Prolific.

Prolific advices end-users to only purchase vendor branded cable products with company name contact information for service and support. Prolific does not sell cables with Prolific brand and packaging. In case you suspect a counterfeit chip inside, you may also contact Prolific to provide the vendor information.

===
Prolific USA set up their USA support page and personnel via Tectona Electronics in CANADA.
http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/

ProlificUSA.com Corporate
Tectona Electronics Inc.
574 Chartwell Rd.,
Oakville, ON L6J 4A5
Canada
Corp Ph: 905-827-2206
Corp Fax: 905-847-9412
E-mail: info@prolificusa.com

===
Silicon Labs is USA based in Austin, TX
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

FTDI Chip is UK based (HQ) with USA offices in Silicon Valley.
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
===
BUY from 2 mfg. (Above) that have GOOD Support (Drivers) and Products.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:47:45 PM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: