Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Software program for Telnet and FTP  (Read 3441 times)
N1DVJ

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »

Does anyone remember the old software program for Telnet and FTP that ran under DOS on PCs and could be used with almost any tcp/ip interface? 

I ran it at home and used the serial link to go to a modified KPC3 TNC and got an 'amateur' ip address for a short time.

Someone brought the question up since, years ago, I used to work for Racal.  At that time I incorporated a 'packet driver' interface that quickly became generic to all the Racal/InterLan ethernet boards.  All you had to do was to set an an environment variable PKTDRV=xx where xx was a valid packet driver interrupt and then when you activated IPX it would also load a complete (well, there was one command that was intentionally killed) packet driver 2.0 interface.  You could use IPX to talk on your network to Novell, just like normal, but you could also use the ham program to run multiple telnet and ftp connections at the same time.  I remember having 31 links going at once on an IBM PS2 70 as a test.  It really slowed down, but it ran with no errors.

Anyway, the program was known as just the guys call.  I think it had a '9' in it, but the only '9' call that comes to mind is K9ES.

Anyone recall the program?
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »

The question may have been answered...

KA9Q
KG5AJX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »

KA9Q

Slow on the reply, putty comes to mind and its free

http://www.putty.org/
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »

KA9Q

Slow on the reply, putty comes to mind and its free

http://www.putty.org/

Probably not it -- Putty is a Windows program and OP is looking for a DOS program.

Telnet was built into MS-DOS, but I think the OP is looking for a more integrated suite.  I know IBM used to have a sort of networking suite that ran under DOS, maybe this is a clue?  As far as the name of the program I am stumped though I vaguely recall using something like it many years ago.
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:56:43 AM »

I wanted to say thanks, but I'm aware of putty.  But I was still trying to find the original program I mentioned for a very specific reason.

And I was right, it was called KA9Q after the author. 

I used it early on in the tcp/ip packet network, as well as on a corporate network.  In fact, one time I had 28 things going on at once on a PS/2 Model 70 to test a packet driver interface as a 'side door' into IPX.  Back in the days of DOS 3.0 with tiny ram footprints what at the time was a gigantic hard drive of 80Meg.   

Back then being able to do multiple things in KA9Q was like being able to run unix on your PC. 

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »

NOS had those commands built in and I believe mine was connected to KA9Q. Could this have been it?

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »

Yep
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »

Your thinking of Phil Karn, KA9Q
Phil now lives in San Diego, working for Qualcomm.

He was active in TAPR and AMSAT in 1980s and 1990s.
His recent work was the development of BPSK1000 telemetry format for ARISSat-1

KA9Q web page
http://www.ka9q.net

KA9Q NOS TCP/IP
http://www.ka9q.net/code/ka9qnos/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:01:53 AM by W9GB » Logged
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »

As already posted, yep, it was KA9Q.

This was, and still is, what I consider one of the most amazing pieces of free software out there!  Yes, I could have uese telnet and ftp with DOS3.0, but the KA9Q program just made it so easy.  While it was 'unofficial', I used it as my 'test bed' software to test all my drivers.  And used it at home.

Mike
N1DVJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: