Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new, easiest way to learn Morse Code -feedback please  (Read 9590 times)
KI6HQL

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »

Hello all, after years of R&D, we have developed what may be the easiest way to learn Morse Code. Especially for those over 50!

It's called CODEMAN and it's a fully programmed learning system.

In the beginning lessons you "acclimate your ear".  Then you advance at your own pace through the automated learning plan. Each lesson is a "bite-size" (1-2 minute) exercise -you transcribe the code as you hear it and check your work using its built-in voice, read-back. It's pretty much effortless and foolproof. By the end of the lesson plan, you can easily transcribe 12 WPM.

It's a free download in the hopes of helping to rekindle the wider use of Morse Code.

It's available for Apple iPads, iPhones and Android devices.

Search for CODEMAN in the "iTune App Store" or in "Google Play" (the App store for Android devices)

We'd appreciate feedback. Thank you,

73, Bart (KI6HQL) & Judy (KI6HQH) Greenhut (bart@bartsbakery.com)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »

Why is being "over 50" an issue?

Just curious.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »

Doesn't work on my iPad Air at all.  No audio!  When I click on show text, it shows the letters as it is presumably suppose to be playing the audio.  Yes the iPad is fine as the other applications that use audio work just fine.  But from what I can see, I don't get the "revolutionary" part.  It looks like it is similar to the other learning systems.  So fix the audio issue and explain what is revolutionary and I may try it again.  Sorry OM, can't give you a thumbs up on this one.

AE5QB
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:57 AM »

I tried it on my Ipad.  The characters are not being sent properly.  The element timing and spacing is off and not consistent between characters.  Very difficult to copy code that way.  http://students.cs.byu.edu/~cs124ta/labs/L06a-morse/Spacing.html
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »

Works on my android phone.  The character spacing is odd, the dits and spaces are off.  I can copy it, but it is strange to hear.  I do like the two word lesson at the end!
W9MIC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »

As someone who has just started to teach himself the code 1 week ago, I'll offer my humble feedback. I was looking for a tool that used the Koch method with configurable Farnsworth spacing. I was hoping to find an iPhone app I could use on trains, planes and hotel rooms during my commute and periodic business travels. I started out with a different Koch method iPhone app (that I had to pay for), and I began my testing using paper and pen. It became tiresome to compare my paper results to the "sent characters" on the tiny iPhone screen and that's when I switched my approach to LWCO.net -- in large part due to the great advice I found on this CW forum. Of course, LWCO.net is a website that requires an internet connection and also requires keyboard input in order to automatic score your results -- which is a great convenience. I switched to entering things real-time into the keyboard as am already a pretty good touch typist. I now use the iPhone app I bought to just listen and visualization the characters. The app I bought is very configurable, so I'm able to keep the subset of characters that I've learned in sync between LCWO and the app. I can also keep the character speed, Fansworth spacing and even the tone in Hz in sync so my ears can't really tell the different between the two transmitters. This has helped eliminate the headaches I started to get before making this small adjustments to keep things in sync.

With all that said, I really like the voice read-back feature in your app to help score test results. If your app had the configurable features that I mention above (custom character set, adjustable Farnsworth spacing, tone adjustment) I could do real testing on the train, plane or hotel room instead of just active listening on my original app. I hope this feedback is helpful. It's just one opinion from one learner and as others have said on this forum; individuals have different learning styles. The hybrid approach I've got going with LCWO.net and the other iPhone app is working pretty well for me. I'm enjoying my journey with the code, making pretty good progress and really look forward to my 30 minute sessions, 2 times a day.

Best of luck with your worthy endeavor. I appreciate your efforts to help others learn Morse code.

W9MIC
KI6HQL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »

Thank you. I've updated the App for iPhone and Android and set up a website: www.codemanSystem.com

download you updated version at iTunes App Store and Google Play

CODEMAN™ is different than any other technique. It's a semi-automated, “guided” system that combines the latest linguistic technology with state-of-the-art App engineering.

It's optimized to advance a beginner to 12WPM in the shortest time possible, without boredom or frustration.

IMPORTANT: For optimum learning, no "user adjustments" are warranted.

Thank you all for the feedback. 73, Bart KI6HQL (bart@bartsbakery.com)
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »

Got the updated version.  There is still a bit of a stutter with dits, although it is much improved.  Seems to be with strings of odd numbered dits.  V, h, b, f still seem a bit 'jittery', but much better than 1.0.  Keep up the good work!
KI6HQL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »

this is a smart phone App. for iPhones and Andoid phones. I have a windows phone version as well.

The iPad & laptop app will come after the bugs are addressed and resolved.

The reason I say it was made for those over 50 (tongue-in-cheek) is because as you age, your ability to assimilate new languages tend to decrease.

Thank you all, 73, Bart (KI6HQL)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: