Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why EQ Microphones?  (Read 2102 times)
W2NJU

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:23 PM »

Why do even the most expensive mics, with awesome specs have to be EQ's on the rig? If the mic is THAt good, shouldn't it NO need to be EQ's. I have a Kenwood T-200 and have yet to find the right mic good out of the box, with no EQ.
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

[[ Why do even the most expensive mics, with awesome specs have to be EQ's on the rig ]]

First most radios are not flat in frequency response. Then we need some emphasis around 2 KHz’s for clarity. Microphone can have a response of
curve  of 20cps to 20 KHz , while ham radios are only 150cps by 2.7 KHz. Just a pinch of natural sound in this. Now we fool the ears with the EQ by
scoping out the nasty mids ( 400cps +- ) and add just a little low frequency for power in the male voice. Next we build intelligence at 1.6 KHz to 3 KHz.
Done right it is very pleasing, but wrong it can be worse than DX audio ! ! One must understand the TX pass band in his or her radio before using the
equalizer. Bob Heil said it’s about time the manufactures put EQ’s in the newer radios. Just a tool, but in the wrong hands it can drive you crazy setting
things properly. Newer radio can pass 80cps by 3KHz and when set up properly, they sound great. Just 400cps can be a world of difference in quality.
The DX guys like a more unbalanced sound for week signals, which also can be achieved with the Eq.   
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

Why do even the most expensive mics, with awesome specs have to be EQ's on the rig?

Because its cheaper than buying separate microphones! By using the transmit bandwidth settings in my Icom IC-7410, I have three "virtual" microphones: one with wide response when conditions are good and I have "armchair" copy, one with a mid range response (which is where I leave it set most of the time) and one with a very narrow response for busting (I hope!) a pileup.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

Hi

Most of the very expencive microphones on a SSB rig have to be set-up with an EQ because the frequency response of the rig isn't good for the microphone.
Also these microphones are designed for use on hifi epuipement and not for hamradio SSB use.
The frequency response of these mikes doesn't fit with the needs of the tranciever they are used on.

I also think that it has become a overated gadget and fashion to get an expencive studio mike and brag about it all day long.
And the comerce reacts by providing all types of microphones you can think of and all kind of EQ things you can think of.
They are in the selling buiseness, if you want to spend a $1000 on a mike they will not protest at all, they will even try to sell you $1100 if they can.

73 Jos
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »

Most expensive microphones are basically designed with flat frequency response for musical/broadcast use where EQ is always used.  Human voices very in their energy density dramatically and no two people sound alike so in broadcast they always use EQ to get the sound they want.  SO the standard for high cost mics is to make them flat and let the user EQ for whatever purpose...
Ham rigs are not designed to normally produce good articulate sound without a mic that has a peak of some sort betweem 2000-3000hz.  If you want to know why, google the FLetcher Munson auditory curves.... Human ears want a boost in that range for effective communication. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: