Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Appliances best for RFI Immunity?  (Read 3207 times)
K1UO

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »

We are considering replacing all the Kitchen Appliances with newer stainless Steel models.  Replacing 4 appliances from Refrigerator , Dishwasher, Microwave and Propane Gas Range.  We are looking at Samsung or LG but have no experience with them.  Are there known RFI issues?  I dont want to generate any more noise on the Lowbands since Ive spent hundreds (or more) to eliminate what I had!
Regards
Larry  K1UO
K2CUB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

Hi Larry.  We went Samsung on Range and Fridge.  Very happy.  I have RFI "sniffed" them both. Drop me a note and i will give you details.
Scott/K2UB
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:58 AM »

.........Larry, FWIW we have all GE Profile appliances in our new kitchen.  No RFI except the tick, tick, tick from the spark gap flame igniter....but that's to be expected.
VK2LEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »

Hi
Samsung and LG seem to be quality electrical products with No RFI problems that I know of.

Lee  VK2LEE

28 years as VK2LEE - The 1st 3 letter L call ever issued - in 1986 -
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »

Stainless steel appliances are out of style and white is in.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »

STYLE?  For appliances?  A kitchen appliance is a TOOL.  In that case, what's in STYLE for your CHAIN SAW or your SCREWDRIVER???  Americans have gone off the deep end!  STYLE, my keester!  Does the stupid thing work?  THAT'S what matters!
Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:41:43 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »

Vertical or horizontal handles?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

Not sure about other vendors but two HAM friends sent back LG refrigerators in the last 3 years due to massive RFI.  Stick with a brand someone here can actually vouch for...

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »

Larry,

I once had a higher-end microwave that has a touch-sensitive control.  These touch pads work like an iPad.  They are hard to the touch not soft.  They have no contacts buttons hidden underneath.  The touch pads are a source of RFI.  Once I found the source it became a no-brainer that I will never buy an appliance with touch-sensitive controls.  All of my current appliances use actual buttons (or hidden buttons under soft plastic).  Another suggestion.  While shopping for the appliance take a handheld receiver and tune it to AM.  That's how I found my source of RFI.

Jonathan W6GX
WA6QMQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »

Lg refrigerator model LCF25776 has lots of RFI, 105db every 20ks on 40m, 110db every 20kz on 20m
was able to fix with three clamp on toroids at the induction motor
W9AC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 06:22:58 AM »

Lg refrigerator model LCF25776 has lots of RFI, 105db every 20ks on 40m, 110db every 20kz on 20m
was able to fix with three clamp on toroids at the induction motor

Same issue here with an LG, but I'm experiencing low level spurs spaced 2 kHz on 40.  Did you obtain a service manual to assist with disassembly?  I'm sure RFI can be managed once I understand how to disassemble it.  The fridge is now out of warranty so I'm not afraid of digging in.

Paul, W9AC
KD6NIG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

STYLE?  For appliances?  A kitchen appliance is a TOOL.  In that case, what's in STYLE for your CHAIN SAW or your SCREWDRIVER???  Americans have gone off the deep end!  STYLE, my keester!  Does the stupid thing work?  THAT'S what matters!
Tom

It matters if the appliances will stay in the home and there is planned resale.

I personally agree with you, but all of the "home improvement" channels would disagree with you, and unfortunately a lot of people put a lot of merit into the stuff people put into homes they are "flipping" so they can take the cost and make a profit off of it.

The proper "styled" appliances might cost $2500 but probably would allow $5000 to be added to the price because of people worried about being stylish.

Then again I've been behind the curve of style for years, since I've been known to procure jeans, shorts and similar in basically like new condition from thrift stores fairly often.

I guess my appliances are stylish since my fridge, stove, and washer and dryer are white.  They are, however, over 5 years old as well, and were bought for the price and functionality, not for style points. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:43:54 AM by KD6NIG » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: