Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Only Keyboard  (Read 11629 times)
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »

How do I convert it to English?  Is there a google program?

Jerry KR4TH

http://translate.google.com/

Wim PA0WV 73=30

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
K8CIT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

W2LO...this isn't quite what you were asking for but look at a Flex radio.  They include a keyboard function that has 9 programmable macros and a 2 line buffer that if you can type a bit ahead of the sending you have time to correct typing errors.  My hands are so shaky that I can no longer use a paddle but this keyboard is keeping me active on CW at 30 wpm.  If a Flex radio is not in the cards for you look at EHOCW which is CW sending software with buffers, macros and it keys the transmitter thru a com port.  I intend to use the EHO software to key my Drake 4 line.  I hope to hear you on 40 CW someday.  73, Art K8CIT   
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 02:56:15 AM »

I use the program FLDIGI  and my standard computer keyboard.
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

KEYBOARDS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CW.
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »

Wow, that's quite a statement.  I think I might agree if you are talking about people relying on keyboards and decoders to operate CW when they otherwise couldn't. It's a novel approach but it isn't even the same emission designation as telegraphy intended for human reception (ITU emission designation A1A).  It falls into the A1B classification for automatic machine-copy.  There are serious incompatibility issues where the machine frequently can't communicate with the human operators.  And those who consider radiotelegraphy an art and a skill are often offended.   

But I disagree if you're saying a keyboard in itself is not a proper CW sending device.  When I realized that 45 wpm was my ceiling using paddle/keyer I felt trapped.  But in the late 60's and early 70's dedicated CW keyboards entered the picture.  Now hams who were always able to copy faster than they could send were able to raise the bar on high speed code operating.  In fact we entered the 1970's with 50 wpm being blazing fast and we ended that decade with QRQ ops exceeding 100 wpm with their keyboards and head copy. 

The most proficient CW operators alive today -- those who copy the fastest -- those send cleanest and fastest -- are using keyboards.

73 Mike W8MW
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »

RE: NY7Q statement about totally banding keyboards, I fully DISAGREE!!!!

How about the handicap, I am fully one of those.

I've been licensed since 1968.  Because of my rare form of MS, must use a keyboard for CW for sending (only about 12wpm).  I use software for receiving.

- - . . .      . . . - -

Ken KC8Y

W5UXH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »

Hello Mike, long time no QSO.  It's kind of sad that so many ops think things like this.  Too often some of them try to interfere with QRQ QSOs.  Sure would be nice to understand that attitude. Are they jealous that they can't copy as fast by ear as some others?  Do they really want to hear my paddle fist at 45 WPM?  Oh well, they usually are not able to zero beat closely enough to get through a decent CW filter, so it is rare they can interfere.  I'm not sure if it is any worse these days than it was 30 years ago, but I will never understand it.

And I have never heard one of them identify.  Interesting that they think their opinions call for unidentified intentional interference Smiley

73, Chuck  W5UXH
5 WPM through 65 WPM, paddle for QRS and keyboard for QRQ

Wow, that's quite a statement. 

73 Mike W8MW
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »

Well Hello Chuck!  FB to CU again.  Yes, the misunderstood CW keyboard gets a bad rap when the only thing it ever wanted to do was create a blissful experience for high speed operators (and others wishing to generate beautifully-formed Morse code).  I spent my first 15 years as a ham pushing my personal envelope but when I got past 35 WPM or so, wasn't able to send fast and clean at the same time using paddles.  Nobody would want to hear my paddle fist at 45 either.  Got my first keyboard in the 70's and a whole new world opened up.   

Why unidentified types try to QRM our QRQ QSOs is beyond me.  If anything has changed in the past 30 years I'd say more people were able to zero-beat back then and do more damage.  So maybe it's a good thing today's prevailing attitude is get it with 150 cycles and they're good to go.  hi hi  Do you think anybody would believe those roundtable CW QSOs we used to have.  A dozen ops on the same QRG conversing in full QSK and we were still able to recognize who was sending at any given moment.

Those of us who enjoy this small special interest operating category aren't out to change the world or bother anybody.  We just love taking CW as far as our personal limitations will let us and hanging out with others with the same lifelong affliction.

73 Mike W8MW
5 WPM through 64 WPM, paddle for QRS and keyboard for QRQ 

PS... Chuck I want to chat with you more.  Will contact you soon. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: