Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stereo (wide) FM scanners  (Read 2348 times)
ANO

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »

Hello,

I hope this is the right sub-form, if not please move to right spot.

I am interested in your knowledge about portable scanners that can do wide FM in stereo in the 470-790 MHz area or parts of that.
For certain event driven transmissions these functionalities are very welcome and useful.
Which brands produce receivers with this functionality?
Please post!

A.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »

Scanners are intended for communications monitoring, I dont know of ANY that provide a stereo output. Stereo is something found almost exclusively on the FM broadcast band, which any simple domestic radio should handle, there is really no call for a stereo capable scanner

470-790MHz is an awfully wide bit of spectrum, and as far as im aware, used only for TV broadcasting in the majority of the world. What exactly are these 'event driven' transmissions?

Almost all TV transmissions are now digital, so a scanner is of no use anyway. The only other transmissions I know of within that band (apart from a few discrete military uses) are SAB/PMSE (Services Ancilliary to Broadcasting/Programme Making and Special Events) ie, outside broadcast camera and radio mic links.

Your post is rather vague as to what your trying to achieve. Please tell us exactly what nit is your trying to listen to, and we might be able to give better answers.

It would seem though that an SDR option might be what your looking for

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:44:33 AM »

It appears that you would like to listen to the wireless mikes used for public address and broadcast functions?
ANO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:24 AM »

Thanks for your responses.
Portable wireless transmitters for mikes, instruments etc are of my interest.
Yes, the band was formerly the exclusive domain of TV but the digital movement took over big parts of the spectrum. At least in Europe.

My Icom RX7 does mono FM Wide in all the bands, AFAIK, but I am continuously on the lookout for a better scanner for this specific purpose:
One wanted feature is `Stereo FM Wide`.
Also better selectivity and perhaps resistance against GSM noises are welcome.

What gear could I use to improve?
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »

As  amateurs  here in the US  we would say..   Build your own....................
Thats what we do if  no one makes what we  want..

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »

Thanks for your responses.
Portable wireless transmitters for mikes, instruments etc are of my interest.
Yes, the band was formerly the exclusive domain of TV but the digital movement took over big parts of the spectrum. At least in Europe.

My Icom RX7 does mono FM Wide in all the bands, AFAIK, but I am continuously on the lookout for a better scanner for this specific purpose:
One wanted feature is `Stereo FM Wide`.
Also better selectivity and perhaps resistance against GSM noises are welcome.

The band still is almost the exclusive domain of TV! Some SAB/PMSE is allowed in the 'gaps' between TV channels. Here in the UK those sorts of uses are controlled by my employer!

Im almost certain that the only receivers you will find for those are the dedicated receivers that go with the mics.

As K9YLI says, roll your own! Stereo broadcast receivers are easily available, even professional ones. Build a down converter for the frequencies your interested in. This might not be easy, as your into quite critical techniques up in UHF.

Or, try an RTL SDR dongle! Im playing with one and using free software you can easily receive these frequencies, and in stereo! For about 7-8 euro, you get one of these little DVB-T R820T dongles, plug it into a laptop and away you go! I would advise modifying it with a filter on the front end for just the bands you need, and some good shielding, but its a very low cost way to do what your after

(K9YLI - love the callsign, reminds me of my regiment - KOYY(LI) )

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:55 AM »

I seem to remember talk at ETSI of SAB/SAP going to digital modulation schemes....
ANO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 07:44:25 AM »

As K9YLI says, roll your own! Stereo broadcast receivers are easily available, even professional ones. Build a down converter for the frequencies your interested in. This might not be easy, as your into quite critical techniques up in UHF.
FM receiver chips are cheaply and plentily available, but the are tailored to the 88-103 or so band, and not the higher frequencies, but I might have missed some.
A chip that can easily be controlled to use 470-790 would be great.

Or, try an RTL SDR dongle! Im playing with one and using free software you can easily receive these frequencies, and in stereo! For about 7-8 euro, you get one of these little DVB-T R820T dongles, plug it into a laptop and away you go! I would advise modifying it with a filter on the front end for just the bands you need, and some good shielding, but its a very low cost way to do what your after
I was looking at a tablet for doing this, mainly the scanner part.
But if the tablet runs long enough I could use it to record as well.
It is an inefficient setup, though. (needs some computing horsepower to do the job)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: